HP dv8000 laptop power usage - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP dv8000 laptop power usage - Hewlett Packard ; How much power does the HP dv8000 laptop require? I think I need to buy a new dc (car lighter) to ac adapter. I currently have a Targus car adapter that claims it puts out 90w, but it seems to ...

  1. HP dv8000 laptop power usage

    How much power does the HP dv8000 laptop require? I think I need to buy a
    new dc (car lighter) to ac adapter. I currently have a Targus car adapter
    that claims it puts out 90w, but it seems to beep constantly telling me that
    the device (laptop) is drawing too much power. I have the car ignition in
    the accessory position, and have to actually start the car to have the
    beeping stop. The car battery is brand new and has a battery that is rated
    much higher than the factory battery.

    I just want to be able to use my laptop with the AC adaptor while in the
    car, without having to start the car to get enough power. If I decide to
    buy a new dc to ac adapter, how much wattage output would I require? My
    current Targus claims 90w but I've seen models claiming to put out up to
    400w.

    Two models that I quickly found, showing the ranges:
    80w model http://3btech.net/prwayivmidcp.html

    140w model
    http://sector29.com/PRODUCT_PAGES/31...cc0582dd576d0a

    400w model http://3btech.net/prwayivdcpoi1.html

    Is my current problem a function of my laptop power requirements or is it a
    function of the car lighter itself not supplying enough power? Again, the
    car (98 Accord) has a brand new battery rated higher than the factory
    battery it replaced.

  2. Re: HP dv8000 laptop power usage

    "Chuck" wrote in message

    Here's the newer model of my current adapter, essentially identical.

    http://www.targus.com/US/product_det...?sku=PAPWR005U

    It was recommended by the person at Staples when I bought the laptop two
    years ago, but I never had a need for the car adapter until recently.

  3. Re: HP dv8000 laptop power usage

    "Chuck" wrote in message
    > How much power does the HP dv8000 laptop require? I think I need to buy a
    > new dc (car lighter) to ac adapter. I currently have a Targus car adapter
    > that claims it puts out 90w, but it seems to beep constantly telling me
    > that the device (laptop) is drawing too much power. I have the car
    > ignition in the accessory position, and have to actually start the car to
    > have the beeping stop. The car battery is brand new and has a battery
    > that is rated much higher than the factory battery.

    I wouldn't be surprised if the AC adaptor doesn't know how to adjust to
    car batteries that can store more power than the usual kind, and is
    therefore
    warning you that it's drawing too much power from the battery for the usual
    kind of car battery.

  4. Re: HP dv8000 laptop power usage

    > I wouldn't be surprised if the AC adaptor doesn't know how to adjust to
    > car batteries that can store more power than the usual kind, and is
    > therefore
    > warning you that it's drawing too much power from the battery for the
    > usual
    > kind of car battery.

    The adapter beeped with the old car battery too. And besides, the adapter
    is designed to be used in any type car lighter which all have different
    batteries, as long as it's a 10a cig lighter.

    The Targus beeps if the plugged in device is drawing too much power, not if
    the adapter is drawing too much power from the lighter. I'm just trying to
    find out if 1) my adapter is faulty or b) 90w is not enough power output for
    a laptop under load.

  5. Re: HP dv8000 laptop power usage

    "Chuck" wrote in message
    >> I wouldn't be surprised if the AC adaptor doesn't know how to adjust to
    >> car batteries that can store more power than the usual kind, and is
    >> therefore
    >> warning you that it's drawing too much power from the battery for the
    >> usual
    >> kind of car battery.

    > The adapter beeped with the old car battery too. And besides, the adapter
    > is designed to be used in any type car lighter which all have different
    > batteries, as long as it's a 10a cig lighter.
    >
    > The Targus beeps if the plugged in device is drawing too much power, not
    > if the adapter is drawing too much power from the lighter. I'm just
    > trying to find out if 1) my adapter is faulty or b) 90w is not enough
    > power output for a laptop under load.

    Have you checked if the laptop needs more power than that while its disk is
    spinning up to speed, or while it is trying to start up, even if it doesn't
    later?

    Try searching for a more complete model number here, and see if what you
    find includes more information about how much power that model needs.

  6. Re: HP dv8000 laptop power usage

    Chuck wrote:
    >> I wouldn't be surprised if the AC adaptor doesn't know how to adjust to
    >> car batteries that can store more power than the usual kind, and is
    >> therefore
    >> warning you that it's drawing too much power from the battery for the
    >> usual
    >> kind of car battery.

    > The adapter beeped with the old car battery too. And besides, the adapter
    > is designed to be used in any type car lighter which all have different
    > batteries, as long as it's a 10a cig lighter.
    >
    > The Targus beeps if the plugged in device is drawing too much power, not if
    > the adapter is drawing too much power from the lighter. I'm just trying to
    > find out if 1) my adapter is faulty or b) 90w is not enough power output for
    > a laptop under load.

    The fact that the problem disappears with the engine running suggests a
    low voltage at the lighter. There could be a problem with the wiring in
    the vehicle. Have you tried it in another car?

+ Reply to Thread