Re: Eugene Watch: Volokh Conspiracy Slashdotted - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: Eugene Watch: Volokh Conspiracy Slashdotted - Hewlett Packard ; Yes, I had an aquaintance of mine who kept a 3.5" disk with all of the viruses he had encoutnered. He called it his Petri Dish. On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:14:48 -0700, Craig Lalley wrote: >--- On Thu, 10/30/08, ...

  1. Re: Eugene Watch: Volokh Conspiracy Slashdotted

    wrote:

    >--- On Thu, 10/30/08, Jeff Kell wrote:
    >
    >And yes, to argue the point from a security perspective, there is an
    >organization now (not sure if public or still NDA) that keeps an MD5
    >registry of all known "malware" - viruses, trojans, botnets,rootkits,
    >etc. We're not "all that far" from a reputation score of an
    >attachment. The debate here then becomes be what sort of reputation
    >we're scoring, rather than the scoring itself (or at least the reference
    >database).
    >
    >Compiling similar libraries isn't new, NIST has been doing it (NSRL) for
    >years. http://www.nsrl.nist.gov/
    >
    >************************************************** *******
    >How difficult would it be to modify the MD5 value to a benign value...

    camouflage so to speak.

    >-Craig

  2. Re: Eugene Watch: Volokh Conspiracy Slashdotted

    If he had said it was his Petri Disk, that would have been funny.

    Denys

    wrote:

    >--- On Thu, 10/30/08, Jeff Kell wrote:
    >
    >And yes, to argue the point from a security perspective, there is an
    >organization now (not sure if public or still NDA) that keeps an MD5
    >registry of all known "malware" - viruses, trojans, botnets,rootkits,
    >etc. We're not "all that far" from a reputation score of an
    >attachment. The debate here then becomes be what sort of reputation
    >we're scoring, rather than the scoring itself (or at least the reference
    >database).
    >
    >Compiling similar libraries isn't new, NIST has been doing it (NSRL) for
    >years. http://www.nsrl.nist.gov/
    >
    >************************************************** *******
    >How difficult would it be to modify the MD5 value to a benign value...

    camouflage so to speak.

    >-Craig

    7:59 AM

  3. Re: Eugene Watch: Volokh Conspiracy Slashdotted

    In message <000901c93ae5$2e110940$8a331bc0$@net>, Denys Beauchemin
    writes
    >If he had said it was his Petri Disk, that would have been funny.
    >
    >Denys

    It must be nice to know a cultured person.

    But if I had a disc like that, I'd be Petri-fied that someone might
    accidentally let it spill over onto my hard disc....
    --
    Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
    Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris