Networked printers - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Networked printers - Hewlett Packard ; I have two identical HP5400 printers, I want to run them on the same network so that I can double my output. At the moment the installation software seemed to pick up both, but the output always goes to my ...

  1. Networked printers

    I have two identical HP5400 printers, I want to run them on the same
    network so that I can double my output. At the moment the installation
    software seemed to pick up both, but the output always goes to my
    original printer, the new printer appears as a choice in Word, but the
    output always goes to the original printer, any ideas please ?

    TIA
    Red

  2. Re: Networked printers

    Red_Kite wrote:
    > I have two identical HP5400 printers, I want to run them on the same
    > network so that I can double my output. At the moment the installation
    > software seemed to pick up both, but the output always goes to my
    > original printer, the new printer appears as a choice in Word, but the
    > output always goes to the original printer, any ideas please ?
    >
    > TIA
    > Red

    Do these printers have their own Ethernet network interface, or do they
    depend on desktop computers for printer sharing?

    Is each printer named uniquely in the list of printers on your computer?

    What are the port settings for each printer? If somehow both printers
    are shown as having the same port in your computer, that would explain
    the problem... Ben Myers

  3. Re: Networked printers

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Red_Kite wrote:
    >> I have two identical HP5400 printers, I want to run them on the same
    >> network so that I can double my output. At the moment the installation
    >> software seemed to pick up both, but the output always goes to my
    >> original printer, the new printer appears as a choice in Word, but the
    >> output always goes to the original printer, any ideas please ?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Red

    > Do these printers have their own Ethernet network interface, or do they
    > depend on desktop computers for printer sharing?
    >
    > Is each printer named uniquely in the list of printers on your computer?
    >
    > What are the port settings for each printer? If somehow both printers
    > are shown as having the same port in your computer, that would explain
    > the problem... Ben Myers

    Hi Ben,
    They are both hard wired to an ethenet router to serve two hardwired
    PCs, and guest wirelesst PCs. The router is then connected to the adsl
    modem which has a third printer wired to one of its ports. there is no
    problem sending to the third printer.

    Printers have the same basic name, one of them having the word "left"
    suffixed.

    To avoid confusion (on my part) where do I find the port settings ?

    Thanks

    Red

  4. Re: Networked printers

    Red_Kite wrote:
    > Ben Myers wrote:
    >> Red_Kite wrote:
    >>> I have two identical HP5400 printers, I want to run them on the same
    >>> network so that I can double my output. At the moment the
    >>> installation software seemed to pick up both, but the output always
    >>> goes to my original printer, the new printer appears as a choice in
    >>> Word, but the output always goes to the original printer, any ideas
    >>> please ?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> Red

    >> Do these printers have their own Ethernet network interface, or do
    >> they depend on desktop computers for printer sharing?
    >>
    >> Is each printer named uniquely in the list of printers on your computer?
    >>
    >> What are the port settings for each printer? If somehow both printers
    >> are shown as having the same port in your computer, that would explain
    >> the problem... Ben Myers
    >>

    > Hi Ben,
    > They are both hard wired to an ethenet router to serve two hardwired
    > PCs, and guest wirelesst PCs. The router is then connected to the adsl
    > modem which has a third printer wired to one of its ports. there is no
    > problem sending to the third printer.
    >
    > Printers have the same basic name, one of them having the word "left"
    > suffixed.
    >
    > To avoid confusion (on my part) where do I find the port settings ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Red

    Go to Control Panel, click on Printers, then right click on each of the
    HP lasers, in turn. Click on the printers' Properties, then click the
    Ports tab. The port assigned to the printer is the one that is checked.
    You may have to slide the divider between Ports and Description to
    see the entire assigned port name. There is also a Configure Ports
    button that gives more info. In my network, the networked printers are
    at IP addresses 192.168.1.50 and 192.168.1.51. The standard Windows
    TCP/IP port naming convention assigns IP_192.168.1.50 and
    IP_192.168.1.51 to these ports. You should see something similar for
    your printers if the Port Descriptions are "Standard TCP/IP Port"... Ben
    Myers

  5. Re: Networked printers

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Red_Kite wrote:
    >> Ben Myers wrote:

    >>> Do these printers have their own Ethernet network interface, or do
    >>> they depend on desktop computers for printer sharing?
    >>>
    >>> Is each printer named uniquely in the list of printers on your computer?
    >>>
    >>> What are the port settings for each printer? If somehow both
    >>> printers are shown as having the same port in your computer, that
    >>> would explain the problem... Ben Myers
    >>>

    >> Hi Ben,
    >> They are both hard wired to an ethenet router to serve two hardwired
    >> PCs, and guest wirelesst PCs. The router is then connected to the adsl
    >> modem which has a third printer wired to one of its ports. there is no
    >> problem sending to the third printer.
    >>
    >> Printers have the same basic name, one of them having the word "left"
    >> suffixed.
    >>
    >> To avoid confusion (on my part) where do I find the port settings ?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Red

    > Go to Control Panel, click on Printers, then right click on each of the
    > HP lasers, in turn. Click on the printers' Properties, then click the
    > Ports tab. The port assigned to the printer is the one that is checked.
    > You may have to slide the divider between Ports and Description to
    > see the entire assigned port name. There is also a Configure Ports
    > button that gives more info. In my network, the networked printers are
    > at IP addresses 192.168.1.50 and 192.168.1.51. The standard Windows
    > TCP/IP port naming convention assigns IP_192.168.1.50 and
    > IP_192.168.1.51 to these ports. You should see something similar for
    > your printers if the Port Descriptions are "Standard TCP/IP Port"... Ben
    > Myers

    Hi Ben
    Ports are
    OfficejetProK5400 printer name or IP address 192.168.1.66
    This is the one that does all the work

    OfficejetProK5400_copy_1 Printer name or IP address HP00215A5598A9

    using browser get all sorts of useful info from 192.168.1.66

    so it looks as if I need to get an ip address for the second printer, do
    you know how ?

    Thanks

    Red

  6. Re: Networked printers

    Red_Kite wrote:
    > Ben Myers wrote:
    >> Red_Kite wrote:

    >>> Hi Ben,
    >>> They are both hard wired to an ethenet router to serve two hardwired
    >>> PCs, and guest wirelesst PCs. The router is then connected to the
    >>> adsl modem which has a third printer wired to one of its ports. there
    >>> is no problem sending to the third printer.
    >>>
    >>> Printers have the same basic name, one of them having the word "left"
    >>> suffixed.
    >>>
    >>> To avoid confusion (on my part) where do I find the port settings ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Red

    >> Go to Control Panel, click on Printers, then right click on each of
    >> the HP lasers, in turn. Click on the printers' Properties, then click
    >> the Ports tab. The port assigned to the printer is the one that is
    >> checked. You may have to slide the divider between Ports and
    >> Description to see the entire assigned port name. There is also a
    >> Configure Ports button that gives more info. In my network, the
    >> networked printers are at IP addresses 192.168.1.50 and 192.168.1.51.
    >> The standard Windows TCP/IP port naming convention assigns
    >> IP_192.168.1.50 and IP_192.168.1.51 to these ports. You should see
    >> something similar for your printers if the Port Descriptions are
    >> "Standard TCP/IP Port"... Ben Myers

    > Hi Ben
    > Ports are
    > OfficejetProK5400 printer name or IP address 192.168.1.66
    > This is the one that does all the work
    >
    > OfficejetProK5400_copy_1 Printer name or IP address HP00215A5598A9
    >
    > using browser get all sorts of useful info from 192.168.1.66
    >
    > so it looks as if I need to get an ip address for the second printer, do
    > you know how ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Red

    The "second" printer instance, OfficejetProK5400_copy_1, is merely a
    copy of the first one. Delete it.

    Next, determine the IP address of the second printer. It should be
    different than the IP address 192.168.1.66 . Then, add a printer,
    select Local Printer (without automatic detection, select "Standard
    TCP/IP Port", and enter in the IP address of the second printer.

    Here is my concern. If the network cards in both printers are set up so
    that their IP addresses are assigned via DHCP, you are in for a world of
    trouble every time one printer or the other is powered down or your
    router powers down.

    So, let's go back to square one. You need to make sure that both
    printers have fixed IP addresses not in the range served by DHCP. For
    example, if your router serves up IP addresses via DHCP in the range
    192.168.1.100...199, you want to have fixed printer IP addresses at
    lower numbers. Most IT organizations reserve a block of low numbers for
    printers, and other numbers for servers. So, let's say you assign the
    printers 192.168.1.50 and 192.168.51. How do you do this? Possibly the
    web configuration menus allow this, as is the case for other HP printer
    Ethernet adapters. You can also download HP's Network Printer Wizard to
    help you. It can either search for printers on the network, or you can
    tell it which MAC address to configure. The latter is better because
    there is no doubt which printer you are configuring. The MAC address is
    stickered on the network adapter, or perhaps the printer allows you to
    print a configuration page... Ben Myers

  7. Re: Networked printers

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Red_Kite wrote:
    >> Ben Myers wrote:

    >>> Go to Control Panel, click on Printers, then right click on each of
    >>> the HP lasers, in turn. Click on the printers' Properties, then
    >>> click the Ports tab. The port assigned to the printer is the one
    >>> that is checked. You may have to slide the divider between Ports
    >>> and Description to see the entire assigned port name. There is also
    >>> a Configure Ports button that gives more info. In my network, the
    >>> networked printers are at IP addresses 192.168.1.50 and
    >>> 192.168.1.51. The standard Windows TCP/IP port naming convention
    >>> assigns IP_192.168.1.50 and IP_192.168.1.51 to these ports. You
    >>> should see something similar for your printers if the Port
    >>> Descriptions are "Standard TCP/IP Port"... Ben Myers

    >> Hi Ben
    >> Ports are
    >> OfficejetProK5400 printer name or IP address 192.168.1.66
    >> This is the one that does all the work
    >>
    >> OfficejetProK5400_copy_1 Printer name or IP address HP00215A5598A9
    >>
    >> using browser get all sorts of useful info from 192.168.1.66
    >>
    >> so it looks as if I need to get an ip address for the second printer,
    >> do you know how ?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Red
    >>

    > The "second" printer instance, OfficejetProK5400_copy_1, is merely a
    > copy of the first one. Delete it.
    >
    > Next, determine the IP address of the second printer. It should be
    > different than the IP address 192.168.1.66 . Then, add a printer,
    > select Local Printer (without automatic detection, select "Standard
    > TCP/IP Port", and enter in the IP address of the second printer.
    >
    > Here is my concern. If the network cards in both printers are set up so
    > that their IP addresses are assigned via DHCP, you are in for a world of
    > trouble every time one printer or the other is powered down or your
    > router powers down.
    >
    > So, let's go back to square one. You need to make sure that both
    > printers have fixed IP addresses not in the range served by DHCP. For
    > example, if your router serves up IP addresses via DHCP in the range
    > 192.168.1.100...199, you want to have fixed printer IP addresses at
    > lower numbers. Most IT organizations reserve a block of low numbers for
    > printers, and other numbers for servers. So, let's say you assign the
    > printers 192.168.1.50 and 192.168.51. How do you do this? Possibly the
    > web configuration menus allow this, as is the case for other HP printer
    > Ethernet adapters. You can also download HP's Network Printer Wizard to
    > help you. It can either search for printers on the network, or you can
    > tell it which MAC address to configure. The latter is better because
    > there is no doubt which printer you are configuring. The MAC address is
    > stickered on the network adapter, or perhaps the printer allows you to
    > print a configuration page... Ben Myers

    Ben,
    Thanks for your help - I now have both printers available independently
    on the network. I deleted the "copy" port, and deleted the second
    printer. The I ran the network wizard as you suggested - the first run
    installed the second printer incorrectly, so I cleaned up again and
    reran the wizard - this time I wrote down the IP addresses that it
    discovered, and let it complete. The second printer still came up with
    an alphanumeric name instead of an IP address - so I forced it with the
    adress discovered earlier. Now they both work.

    Thanks again for all your help. Oh btw both printers are now running on
    "copy1" and "copy2" of the HP port, the original is sitting on the stack
    with no printer assigned. A bit of tidying up to do I guess.

    Red

  8. Re: Networked printers

    Red_Kite wrote:
> [...]

    >> perhaps the printer allows you to print a configuration page... Ben Myers

    > Ben,
    > Thanks for your help - I now have both printers available independently
    > on the network. I deleted the "copy" port, and deleted the second
    > printer. The I ran the network wizard as you suggested - the first run
    > installed the second printer incorrectly, so I cleaned up again and
    > reran the wizard - this time I wrote down the IP addresses that it
    > discovered, and let it complete. The second printer still came up with
    > an alphanumeric name instead of an IP address - so I forced it with the
    > adress discovered earlier. Now they both work.
    >
    > Thanks again for all your help. Oh btw both printers are now running on
    > "copy1" and "copy2" of the HP port, the original is sitting on the stack
    > with no printer assigned. A bit of tidying up to do I guess.

    Okay. Now make sure that the IP addresses of the printers are both
    fixed, not served up by the DHCP of the router. Remember: Power cycle
    either a printer or the router, and DHCP is likely to serve a different
    IP address to the printer. This would not bode well... Ben Myers

+ Reply to Thread