Re: OpenMPE redux, executive view. - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: OpenMPE redux, executive view. - Hewlett Packard ; Paul - You bring up some interesting points. One thing I have not really put much thought into is creating a new MPE to run on old HP3000 hardware. I just don't see any future in it, and really suspect ...

  1. Re: OpenMPE redux, executive view.

    Paul -

    You bring up some interesting points. One thing I have not really put much
    thought into is creating a new MPE to run on old HP3000 hardware. I just
    don't see any future in it, and really suspect that it is financially not
    viable using any method. I don't like the idea of depending on emulation so
    much. You end up with performance issues, but more importantly, you are
    tempted to run old MPE system code that is archaic and much better done in
    Linux.

    I don't see your point about DASD (IBM background?). The priviledged mode
    interface should take care of all SM needs. If you really know what you are
    doing, you are going to logon under Linux and set up the miriad of storage
    possibilities there to be accessed through a simple interface so that one
    does not lose track of what you are trying to accomplish: business IT
    solutions.

    The main thing I seem to have not made clear here is that all of the MPE
    hardware drivers go away, most of the system lower level utilities, and much
    of the higher level utilities. Thinks like logical volume management would
    be handled by Linux (lvm2 or evms) and if there exists some essential reason
    for the old MPE logical volume management system to exist, it would be
    through calls to Linux.

    The only part of MPE that I would personally like to see kept are the parts
    that make it a great business IT solution platform. At the hardware driver
    level, it is limited and in many parts, just sucks. Please reread with that
    in mind.

    - Peter

  2. Re: OpenMPE redux, executive view.

    On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 7:48 PM, Peter M. Eggers
    wrote:
    > Paul -

    > The only part of MPE that I would personally like to see kept are the parts
    > that make it a great business IT solution platform.

    In your opinion, which parts are those?

    Can those parts be implemented without the kinds of things that the
    MPE/iX "kernel" (for lack of a better term) provide? For instance, a
    finer-grained security setup than " god / not-god "? Can IMAGE (which
    surely MUST be on your list) work in an environment which does not
    explicitly lock files at the kernel level?

    I'm not trying to argue with you at all here, but in my mind, a lot of
    the things that make MPE "great" are philosophically contrary to what
    Linux can offer, and I'm not convinced you can build a sturdy MPE-like
    environment on something that has UNIX roots. Those two OS's have
    differing worldviews, if you will.

    --
    "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, you'd think rich people
    would have kept it all for themselves" - Lane Kirkland