Re: COBOL COMPILER BLUES... - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: COBOL COMPILER BLUES... - Hewlett Packard ; Paul Raulerson must have quoted from the Cobol manual: "THE FORMAL FILE DESIGNATORS USED IN THIS COMMAND (COBTEXT, COBOBJ, COBLIST, COBMAST, COBNEW, AND COBWKSP, COBXDB) CANNOT BE BACKREFERENCED AS ACTUAL FILE DESIGNATORS IN THE COMMAND PARAMETER LIST. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, ...

  1. Re: COBOL COMPILER BLUES...

    Paul Raulerson must have quoted from the Cobol manual:

    "THE FORMAL FILE DESIGNATORS USED IN THIS COMMAND (COBTEXT, COBOBJ, COBLIST,
    COBMAST, COBNEW, AND COBWKSP, COBXDB) CANNOT BE BACKREFERENCED AS ACTUAL
    FILE DESIGNATORS IN THE COMMAND PARAMETER LIST. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION,
    REFER TO THE IMPLICIT SUBENTRY OF THE FILE ENTRY IN THE HELP FACILITY."

    True, you can't say FILE COBLIST;DEV=LP,1,1 but you can do:

    :FILE PROGLIST;DEV=LP,1,1;CCTL
    :COB85XLK SRC0010.SOURCE,PROG0010.TEST,*PROGLIST
    CPU TIME = 0:00:02. WALL TIME = 0:00:04.

    PAGE 0001 COBOL II/iX HP31500A.04.22 [85] Copyright Hewlett-Packard CO.
    1987

    :SHOWOUT

    DEV/CL DFID JOBNUM FNAME STATE FRM SPACE RANK PRI #C
    LP #O448047 #S21 PROGLIST READY 6592 D 1 1
    -----
    However, be sure the first line of your source file (or at least that's
    where I always put this compiler directive) has something like:

    $CONTROL USLINIT,POST85,LIST

    That "LIST" directive can also be "NOLIST" - just be sure it's LIST if you
    want it, NOLIST if you don't or if you don't then direct the output to $null
    as in the previous example.

  2. Re: COBOL COMPILER BLUES...

    Matthew writes:

    > True, you can't say FILE COBLIST;DEV=LP,1,1 but you can do:
    >
    > :FILE PROGLIST;DEV=LP,1,1;CCTL
    > :COB85XLK SRC0010.SOURCE,PROG0010.TEST,*PROGLIST
    > CPU TIME = 0:00:02. WALL TIME = 0:00:04.

    This only works if the output is to a spooled device unless the file
    already exists...

    Eliminate the cob85... cmd file and run the compiler directly and you
    will see that when you say you have specified a listfile (using the COBLIST
    formal designator) and a ;parm= that what you put to the right of the
    '=' in the file equate must already exist unless it is a file being written
    to a spooled device (printer).

    If Paul wants to have his output listing be a file he has to prebuild it...

    duane