Re: COBOL COMPILER BLUES... - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: COBOL COMPILER BLUES... - Hewlett Packard ; Guys... You're getting the error because in the first way used, the Cobol compiler expects the list file to already exist (Paul's first example): :COB85XL DISCTST,DISCTST.OBJ.RSEN,DISCTST.LST.RSEN tells the compiler to direct output to disctst.lst.rsen and the compiler expects the file ...

  1. Re: COBOL COMPILER BLUES...

    Guys...

    You're getting the error because in the first way used, the Cobol compiler
    expects the list file to already exist (Paul's first example):

    :COB85XL DISCTST,DISCTST.OBJ.RSEN,DISCTST.LST.RSEN

    tells the compiler to direct output to disctst.lst.rsen and the compiler
    expects the file to already exist in the permanent domain. Since the file
    doesn't, the error "NONEXISTENT PERMANENT FILE (FSERR 52)" is reported and
    the compiler aborts.

    "COBLIST" is the formal file designator that gets overridden with
    disctst.lst.rsen (or another supplied file name). You could build the file
    COBLIST and output will be directed to that file, or you can build a file
    and use a file equation FILE COBLIST=PERMFILE.LST.RSEN - something like
    that.

    Kevin Miller said "I guess COBOL is not quite as smart as the other
    compilers on this."

    Ask Walter if this was an ANSI requirement to meet the Cobol committee
    requirements... that COBLIST be the formal designator and the compiler
    require the parameter. I'm pretty sure Walter is still on the list, and as
    we know he wrote the compiler.

    Kevin also supplied a file equation specifying the "new" and "save"
    parameters, then back references the file equation for the compiler (for
    Paul this means tells the compiler where to find the file or in this case
    the directive to create it upon opening and save it in the permanent file
    domain when closing). You may have already noticed that MPE contains a very
    rich range of file types - including temporary files - something that does
    not exist in the Linux world. Too bad, they come in handy!

    Most of the time I used the COB85XLK script, which compiles, prepares
    (links) and saves the final compiled program as an executable:

    :cob85xlk source,compiled,$null

    I use the $null parameter as I normally don't want a listing. For debugging
    purposes I of course do, and then either build a file and transfer it to my
    pc to use notepad to look at it or I use a file equation to send the output
    to a spool file for printing portions or all of the listing. I almost never
    print an entire program - wastes paper - I retrained myself probably 20
    years ago away from paper and to on-screen researching. Somewhere I have
    boxes of 8 1/2 x 14 greenbar that I used to use to list programs (didn't
    like 11 x 14 greenbar - too big, didn't fit in a legal size file folder).

    Using the cob85xl construct requires me to use linkedit - which needs to be
    done to pull in C library routines for certain programs.

  2. Re: COBOL COMPILER BLUES...

    Would appending ;dev=disc help , using a file equate, or even leave coblist go to the termainl, but redirect with a > ?

    Regards,
    John Pitman
    IT Manager

    RYCO Hydraulics Pty. Ltd.
    19 Whitehall St. Footscray Vic 3011
    P: +61 3 96808053
    F: +61 3 96808001
    M: 0417553990
    E: jpitman@ryco.com.au
    W: www.ryco.com.au

    Ryco Hydraulics Pty Ltd.

    Well, if it requires the file to be pre-created, that's what it requires. And it works that way, or if you don't specify a listing file at all.

    Perhaps Walter (nice to meet you will share an opinion. The FILE COBLIST=xxx.xxx.xxx syntax by the way, does not work, at least here. I think itis because of this paragraph from the online docs (which is also repeated in the COBOL II docs.)

    NOTE

    THE FORMAL FILE DESIGNATORS USED IN THIS COMMAND (COBTEXT, COBOBJ, COBLIST,COBMAST, COBNEW, AND COBWKSP, COBXDB) CANNOT BE BACKREFERENCED AS ACTUAL FILE DESIGNATORS IN THE COMMAND PARAMETER LIST. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, REFER TO THE IMPLICIT SUBENTRY OF THE FILE ENTRY IN THE HELP FACILITY.

    On Oct 29, 2008, at 1:33 AM, Matthew Perdue wrote:

    > Guys...
    >
    > You're getting the error because in the first way used, the Cobol
    > compiler expects the list file to already exist (Paul's first
    > example):
    >
    > :COB85XL DISCTST,DISCTST.OBJ.RSEN,DISCTST.LST.RSEN
    >
    > tells the compiler to direct output to disctst.lst.rsen and the
    > compiler expects the file to already exist in the permanent domain.
    > Since the file doesn't, the error "NONEXISTENT PERMANENT FILE (FSERR
    > 52)" is reported and the compiler aborts.
    >
    > "COBLIST" is the formal file designator that gets overridden with
    > disctst.lst.rsen (or another supplied file name). You could build the
    > file COBLIST and output will be directed to that file, or you can
    > build a file and use a file equation FILE COBLIST=PERMFILE.LST.RSEN -
    > something like that.
    >
    > Kevin Miller said "I guess COBOL is not quite as smart as the other
    > compilers on this."
    >
    > Ask Walter if this was an ANSI requirement to meet the Cobol committee
    > requirements... that COBLIST be the formal designator and the compiler
    > require the parameter. I'm pretty sure Walter is still on the list,
    > and as we know he wrote the compiler.
    >
    > Kevin also supplied a file equation specifying the "new" and "save"
    > parameters, then back references the file equation for the compiler
    > (for Paul this means tells the compiler where to find the file or in
    > this case the directive to create it upon opening and save it in the
    > permanent file domain when closing). You may have already noticed that
    > MPE contains a very rich range of file types - including temporary
    > files - something that does not exist in the Linux world. Too bad,
    > they come in handy!
    >
    > Most of the time I used the COB85XLK script, which compiles, prepares
    > (links) and saves the final compiled program as an executable:
    >
    > :cob85xlk source,compiled,$null
    >
    > I use the $null parameter as I normally don't want a listing. For
    > debugging purposes I of course do, and then either build a file and
    > transfer it to my pc to use notepad to look at it or I use a file
    > equation to send the output to a spool file for printing portions or
    > all of the listing. I almost never print an entire program - wastes
    > paper - I retrained myself probably 20 years ago away from paper and
    > to on-screen researching. Somewhere I have boxes of 8 1/2 x 14
    > greenbar that I used to use to list programs (didn't like 11 x 14
    > greenbar - too big, didn't fit in a legal size file folder).
    >
    > Using the cob85xl construct requires me to use linkedit - which needs
    > to be done to pull in C library routines for certain programs.

    CAUTION: This message may contain privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error please notify RYCO Hydraulics Pty. Ltd. immediately. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of RYCO Hydraulics Pty. Ltd.

  3. Re: COBOL COMPILER BLUES...

    You are the man John! YES- the redirect works!
    -Paul

    On Oct 29, 2008, at 3:50 PM, John Pitman wrote:

    > Would appending ;dev=disc help , using a file equate, or even leave
    > coblist go to the termainl, but redirect with a > ?
    >

    > Regards,
    > John Pitman
    > IT Manager
    >

    > RYCO Hydraulics Pty. Ltd.
    > 19 Whitehall St. Footscray Vic 3011
    > P: +61 3 96808053
    > F: +61 3 96808001
    > M: 0417553990
    > E: jpitman@ryco.com.au
    > W: www.ryco.com.au
    >

    > Ryco Hydraulics Pty Ltd.

  4. Re: COBOL COMPILER BLUES...

    Greetings,

    I'm sorry I wasn't able to contribute earlier. I've had to be away for
    a couple of weeks.

    Matthew Perdue wrote:

    [snip]

    > "COBLIST" is the formal file designator ... [snip]

    > Ask Walter if this was an ANSI requirement to meet the Cobol committee
    > requirements... that COBLIST be the formal designator and the compiler
    > require the parameter. I'm pretty sure Walter is still on the list,

    and as
    > we know he wrote the compiler.

    I didn't see a smiley, so I hope nobody got the wrong impression from
    that last sentence.

    HP COBOL II was written by a team of talented people long before I
    became involved in supporting it. For a few years, I was the principal
    engineer providing lab support for the compiler, but it's a very solid
    product and required little support. (American readers will appreciate
    a reference to the "Maytag repairman".)

    As to the ANSI (or ISO) requirements, I can address that. I represented
    Hewlett-Packard on the standards committee for several years, and
    contributed a little to the creation of the 2002 revision of the COBOL
    standard. The standard does not address such things as how the compiler
    is invoked, or how source, object, and listing files are specified.

    Walter

    Walter J. Murray