COBOL COMPILER BLUES... - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on COBOL COMPILER BLUES... - Hewlett Packard ; Well I thought I could figure this one out, but doggone if I can. I chatted with a much more knowledgable person about it, and I searched the ITRC, but with no resolutions. ITRC had one hit on the exact ...

  1. COBOL COMPILER BLUES...

    Well I thought I could figure this one out, but doggone if I can. I
    chatted with a much more knowledgable person about it, and I searched
    the ITRC, but with no resolutions. ITRC had one hit on the exact
    problem, but no answer to it. Or at least not one I understood.

    I don't have all the scripts the COBOL compiler is supposed to come
    with, but I do have the COB85XL script.
    It *should* take the syntax I used below, and write out an object file
    and a listing file. The group do exist, and it works
    for the Fortran and RPG compilers. Go figure...

    I should mention that if I do NOT include a listing file, the output
    goes to the screen and the object if created correctly. I do like to
    keep listing files about for a while though.

    I know this is going to be something very simple, and I appreciate you
    guys takign the time to teach me. I really honestly did search the
    manuals, study the script, and search the web before posting this.

    Yours,
    -Paul

    :COB85XL DISCTST,DISCTST.OBJ.RSEN,DISCTST.LST.RSEN

    **** ERROR 491 UNABLE TO OPEN FILE COBLIST .
    NONEXISTENT PERMANENT FILE (FSERR 52)

    run COBOL.PUB.SYS,ANSI85;parm=7;info=""
    Program terminated in an error state. (CIERR 976)
    ERRORS IN COMPILE
    setjcw jcw=fatal
    Unless a CONTINUE is in effect, the remainder of the
    current UDC will be flushed. (CIWARN 1723)
    :

  2. Re: COBOL COMPILER BLUES...

    In your example:

    :COB85XL DISCTST,DISCTST.OBJ.RSEN,DISCTST.LST.RSEN

    **** ERROR 491 UNABLE TO OPEN FILE COBLIST .
    NONEXISTENT PERMANENT FILE (FSERR 52)

    DISCTST.LST.RSEN is the COBLIST file. Is there a reason you are fully
    qualifying it?
    Could you try:

    "COB85XL DISCTST,DISCTST.OBJ.RSEN,DISCLST"

    Note filename changed to DISC-L-ST, just for the test

    And see if that works?

    Mark Ranft

[...]

  3. Re: COBOL COMPILER BLUES...

    Sure, I qualified it just because I am used to having the listings,
    object, binary and source all the same name. On - ah - less
    "interesting" operating systems. I suppose it is just a habit now to
    setup that structure.

    Yep, it gives out the same error.

    On Oct 28, 2008, at 11:07 PM, Mark Ranft wrote:

    > In your example:
    >
    > :COB85XL DISCTST,DISCTST.OBJ.RSEN,DISCTST.LST.RSEN
    >
    > **** ERROR 491 UNABLE TO OPEN FILE COBLIST .
    > NONEXISTENT PERMANENT FILE (FSERR 52)
    >

    > DISCTST.LST.RSEN is the COBLIST file. Is there a reason you are fully
    > qualifying it?
    > Could you try:
    >
    > "COB85XL DISCTST,DISCTST.OBJ.RSEN,DISCLST"
    >
    > Note filename changed to DISC-L-ST, just for the test
    >
    > And see if that works?
    >
    > Mark Ranft

  4. Re: COBOL COMPILER BLUES...

    > I don't have all the scripts the COBOL compiler is supposed to come
    > with, but I do have the COB85XL script.
    > It *should* take the syntax I used below, and write out an object file
    > and a listing file. The group do exist, and it works
    > for the Fortran and RPG compilers. Go figure...

    I guess COBOL is not quite as smart as the other compilers on this.

    Try a file equation.

    Fox 11:cob85xl cob1,cob1p,cob1l
    **** ERROR 491 UNABLE TO OPEN FILE COBLIST .
    NONEXISTENT PERMANENT FILE (FSERR 52)
    run COBOL.PUB.SYS,ANSI85;parm=7;info=""
    Program terminated in an error state. (CIERR 976)
    ERRORS IN COMPILE
    setjcw jcw=fatal
    Unless a CONTINUE is in effect, the remainder of the
    current UDC will be flushed. (CIWARN 1723)

    Fox 11:file cob1l,new;save

    Fox 11:cob85xl cob1,cob1p,*cob1l
    PAGE 0001 COBOL II/iX HP31500A.04.19 [85] Copyright Hewlett-Packard CO. 1987

    0 ERROR(s), 0 QUESTIONABLE, 0 WARNING(s)
    DATA AREA IS 2C BYTES.
    CPU TIME = 0:00:00. WALL TIME = 0:00:02.
    END OF PROGRAM
    END OF COMPILE

    Fox 11:l cob1@
    TUE, OCT 28, 2008, 10:07 PM
    ACCOUNT= KEVENM GROUP= COB
    FILENAME CODE ------------LOGICAL RECORD----------- ----SPACE----
    SIZE TYP EOF LIMIT R/B SECTORS #X MX
    COB1 80B FA 19 19 3 16 1 1
    COB1L 258B VAC 40 5000 1 256 1 *
    COB1P NMOBJ 128W FB 6 4000 1 16 1 8

    Keven Miller

  5. Re: COBOL COMPILER BLUES...

    I was able to duplicate the problem. I am with you. I am confused. When
    isn't COBLIST the list file?

    Here is what I know so far. If you print the first line of
    COB85XL.PUB.SYS...

    rint cob85xl.pub.sys
    parm text="",obj="",list="",mast="",new="",info="",wksp="",xdb=""

    Positionally the parameters are:
    1 = Text
    2 = OBJ
    3 = List

    So coblist is third. Right? Now try. (Don't worry that none of the 'my@'
    files exist)...

    :setvar hpcmdtrace true
    :cob85xlg mysource,myobject,mylist

    Check where you see the FILE equations set up. I see...

    *** EXPRESSION TRUE
    setvar _cob_parm _cob_parm+$02
    file coblist=myobject
    endif
    if "mylist" <> "" then
    *** EXPRESSION TRUE
    setvar _cob_parm _cob_parm+$08
    file cobmast=mylist

    This is bizarre!

    Anyway to get it to work for now.

    File mylist= DISCTST.LST.RSEN,new;rec=-132,1,f,ascii;disc=10000;save
    :COB85XL DISCTST,DISCTST.OBJ.RSEN,*mylist

    That should get you going.

    Mark Ranft

  6. Re: COBOL COMPILER BLUES...

    Yep, exact same behavior here, I've been using tearing this script
    apart to try and figure out what it is doing, and have put echo's all
    through a copy of it to crudely do what you did much more elegantly
    with the hpcmdtrace variable.

    The FTNXL compile script is essentially the same, except it will
    create the listing file.

    -Paul

    parm text="",obj="",list="",info=""
    comment