subdirectories on SD card - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on subdirectories on SD card - Hewlett Packard ; Is it possible to remove a subdirectory on an SD card on the 50g? I don't have problems removing files in the subdirectory, just the subdirectory itself. Neither PURGE nor PGDIR have any effect. The built-in filer can't remove the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. subdirectories on SD card

    Is it possible to remove a subdirectory on an SD card on the 50g? I
    don't have problems removing files in the subdirectory, just the
    subdirectory itself. Neither PURGE nor PGDIR have any effect. The
    built-in filer can't remove the subdirectory either.

    I can, of course, remove the subdirectory by plugging the card into
    the reader on my HP laptop, but sometimes that's too much work.

    I also suppose the same question can be asked about read-only files.

    TIA
    kiyoshi

  2. Re: subdirectories on SD card

    calc:no
    pc: yes

    "kiy" wrote in message
    > Is it possible to remove a subdirectory on an SD card on the 50g? I
    > don't have problems removing files in the subdirectory, just the
    > subdirectory itself. Neither PURGE nor PGDIR have any effect. The
    > built-in filer can't remove the subdirectory either.
    >
    > I can, of course, remove the subdirectory by plugging the card into
    > the reader on my HP laptop, but sometimes that's too much work.
    >
    > I also suppose the same question can be asked about read-only files.
    >
    > TIA
    > kiyoshi

  3. Re: subdirectories on SD card

    In article ,
    "Veli-Pekka Nousiainen" wrote:

    > calc:no
    > pc: yes

    And Mac: yes.

    > "kiy" wrote in message
    > > Is it possible to remove a subdirectory on an SD card on the 50g? I
    > > don't have problems removing files in the subdirectory, just the
    > > subdirectory itself. Neither PURGE nor PGDIR have any effect. The
    > > built-in filer can't remove the subdirectory either.
    > >
    > > I can, of course, remove the subdirectory by plugging the card into
    > > the reader on my HP laptop, but sometimes that's too much work.
    > >
    > > I also suppose the same question can be asked about read-only files.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > kiyoshi

  4. Re: subdirectories on SD card

    Oh well, I was afraid of that. At least I now know I'm not missing
    something simple.

    thx

  5. Re: subdirectories on SD card

    > "kiy" wrote:
    > Is it possible to remove a subdirectory on an SD card on the 50g?

    Yes, you can do it on the 50g, if you use SDfiler:

    http://www.hpcalc.org/search.php?query=sdfiler
    http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=6524

    Regards,

    Eric Rechlin

  6. Re: subdirectories on SD card

    is Mac not a "personal" computer?
    I have two old Macs...

    "Virgil" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > "Veli-Pekka Nousiainen" wrote:
    >
    >> calc:no
    >> pc: yes

    > And Mac: yes.
    >>
    >> "kiy" wrote in message
    >> > Is it possible to remove a subdirectory on an SD card on the 50g? I
    >> > don't have problems removing files in the subdirectory, just the
    >> > subdirectory itself. Neither PURGE nor PGDIR have any effect. The
    >> > built-in filer can't remove the subdirectory either.
    >> >
    >> > I can, of course, remove the subdirectory by plugging the card into
    >> > the reader on my HP laptop, but sometimes that's too much work.
    >> >
    >> > I also suppose the same question can be asked about read-only files.
    >> >
    >> > TIA
    >> > kiyoshi

  7. Re: subdirectories on SD card

    In article ,
    Virgil wrote:
    >In article ,
    > "Veli-Pekka Nousiainen" wrote:
    >
    >> calc:no
    >> pc: yes

    >And Mac: yes.

    And Linux, yes.

    Btw, a Mac is nowadays essentially a PC.... nowadays it uses IDE rather
    than SCSI harddisks, it uses (or did use, while floppies were still in
    use) MFM rather than GCR formattet floppies. And it even has an Intel
    CPU ..... and runs ...... Windoze!

    The difference between a Mac and a WinTel machine is nowadays much
    smaller than it once was. It's probably just a matter of time until
    Mac OS-X will run on standard PC hardware.

    >> "kiy" wrote in message
    >> > Is it possible to remove a subdirectory on an SD card on the 50g? I
    >> > don't have problems removing files in the subdirectory, just the
    >> > subdirectory itself. Neither PURGE nor PGDIR have any effect. The
    >> > built-in filer can't remove the subdirectory either.
    >> >
    >> > I can, of course, remove the subdirectory by plugging the card into
    >> > the reader on my HP laptop, but sometimes that's too much work.
    >> >
    >> > I also suppose the same question can be asked about read-only files.
    >> >
    >> > TIA
    >> > kiyoshi

    e-mail: pausch at stjarnhimlen dot se
    WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/

  8. Re: subdirectories on SD card

    In article ,
    Veli-Pekka Nousiainen wrote:
    >is Mac not a "personal" computer?

    No, Mac is a religion....

    >I have two old Macs...
    >
    >"Virgil" wrote in message
    >> In article ,
    >> "Veli-Pekka Nousiainen" wrote:
    >>
    >>> calc:no
    >>> pc: yes

    >> And Mac: yes.
    >>>
    >>> "kiy" wrote in message

    e-mail: pausch at stjarnhimlen dot se
    WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/

  9. Re: subdirectories on SD card

    > The difference between a Mac and a WinTel machine is nowadays much
    > smaller than it once was. *It's probably just a matter of time until
    > Mac OS-X will run on standard PC hardware.

    I know a, uh, friend, who runs a retail copy of OSX on a system he
    built himself. The performance is essentially equal to the ~2000$US
    Imac but cost all of 600$ for the hardware and another 140 for OSX. I
    don't. . . I mean, he doesn't, care about a silly EULA restriction
    that would be unenforceable in a court. Caused us to buy a macbook
    for the wife too.

    TW

  10. Re: subdirectories on SD card

    Veli-Pekka Nousiainen schrieb:
    > is Mac not a "personal" computer?

    Depends on the model, the MacPro is a workstation and Xserve is a Server.

    Martin

    --
    mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

  11. Re: subdirectories on SD card

    Paul Schlyter schrieb:
    > In article ,
    > Virgil wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> "Veli-Pekka Nousiainen" wrote:
    >>
    >>> calc:no
    >>> pc: yes

    >> And Mac: yes.

    > And Linux, yes.
    >
    > Btw, a Mac is nowadays essentially a PC.... nowadays it uses IDE rather
    > than SCSI harddisks, it uses (or did use, while floppies were still in
    > use) MFM rather than GCR formattet floppies. And it even has an Intel
    > CPU ..... and runs ...... Windoze!

    If you check the relevant Wikipedia pages you will see that the
    differences in the various computer systems lie in the amount of power
    they provide - and not the operation system used:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_computer
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workstation
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_(computing)

    And that there is a Mac OS X System for each of the three segments (SCSI
    is available for both Mac Pro and XServe):

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Pro
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XServe

    Of course, there are Linux and Windows Systems which provide for all
    three segments as well. Mac OS is not special in that respect.

    Regards

    Martin

    --
    mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

  12. Please don't

    A bit off topic but here goes:

    Please don't try to obfuscate the thing which is clear for some time:

    Apple (Mac) in terms of hardware is no more !
    all there is now is MAC OSX
    (more-less cripled down linux distro supporting "MAC hardware"
    identified by BIOS serials and such)

    it realy is a PC packed and "branded" in to MAC casing
    and it DOES run Windows (if users choose to make it so)

    there is nothing left from original MAC there so get over it !

    manjo
    ONE WORLD, ONE NATION, ONE PC (...and things like that) !

  13. Re: subdirectories on SD card

    In article <49086a78$1@news.post.ch>,
    Martin Krischik wrote:
    >Paul Schlyter schrieb:
    >> In article ,
    >> Virgil wrote:

    >>> And Mac: yes.

    >> And Linux, yes.
    >>
    >> Btw, a Mac is nowadays essentially a PC.... nowadays it uses IDE rather
    >> than SCSI harddisks, it uses (or did use, while floppies were still in
    >> use) MFM rather than GCR formattet floppies. And it even has an Intel
    >> CPU ..... and runs ...... Windoze!

    >If you check the relevant Wikipedia pages you will see that the
    >differences in the various computer systems lie in the amount of power
    >they provide - and not the operation system used:
    >
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_computer
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workstation
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_(computing)
    >
    >And that there is a Mac OS X System for each of the three segments (SCSI
    >is available for both Mac Pro and XServe):
    >
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Pro
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XServe
    >
    >Of course, there are Linux and Windows Systems which provide for all
    >three segments as well. Mac OS is not special in that respect.

    ....and the wikipedia article you pointed to says that the workstation
    segment is vanishing, as the PC segment becomes more and more powerful.

    Also the server segment is less about the hardware capabilities of
    a specific computer and more about how that computer is actually used.
    Of course e.g. blade servers and other rack mounted computers are less
    likely to be used as PC's - but they could be used like that. The
    hardware capabilities of a blade server and a more powerful PC aren't
    that much different....

    >Regards
    >
    >Martin
    >
    >--
    >mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
    >Ada programming at: http://ada.krischik.com

    e-mail: pausch at stjarnhimlen dot se
    WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/

  14. Re: Please don't

    "manjo" wrote in message
    >A bit off topic but here goes:
    >
    > Please don't try to obfuscate the thing which is clear for some time:
    >
    > Apple (Mac) in terms of hardware is no more !
    > all there is now is MAC OSX
    > (more-less cripled down linux distro supporting "MAC hardware"

    yeah - "cripled down linux distro" indeed!
    Do you mean the user interface or the installation of applications or ...
    Even though Linux is from Finland I say: it's NOT a consumer product
    > identified by BIOS serials and such)
    >
    > it realy is a PC packed and "branded" in to MAC casing
    > and it DOES run Windows (if users choose to make it so)
    >
    > there is nothing left from original MAC there so get over it !
    >
    > manjo
    > ONE WORLD, ONE NATION, ONE PC (...and things like that) !

  15. Re: Please don't

    Cripled down in sence of hardware support
    shined up in sence of user nteface
    so-so in sence of application

    > yeah - "cripled down linux distro" indeed!
    > Do you mean the user interface or the installation of applications or ...
    > Even though Linux is from Finland I say: it's NOT a consumer product
    >> identified by BIOS serials and such)
    >>
    >> it realy is a PC packed and "branded" in to MAC casing
    >> and it DOES run Windows (if users choose to make it so)
    >>
    >> there is nothing left from original MAC there so get over it !
    >>
    >> manjo
    >> ONE WORLD, ONE NATION, ONE PC (...and things like that) !

  16. Re: Please don't

    In article ,
    "manjo" wrote:

    > Cripled down in sence of hardware support
    > shined up in sence of user nteface
    > so-so in sence of application
    >
    > > yeah - "cripled down linux distro" indeed!
    > > Do you mean the user interface or the installation of applications or ...
    > > Even though Linux is from Finland I say: it's NOT a consumer product
    > >> identified by BIOS serials and such)
    > >>
    > >> it realy is a PC packed and "branded" in to MAC casing
    > >> and it DOES run Windows (if users choose to make it so)
    > >>
    > >> there is nothing left from original MAC there so get over it !
    > >>
    > >> manjo
    > >> ONE WORLD, ONE NATION, ONE PC (...and things like that) !

    Does "manjo" mean
    " Crippled down in sense of hardware support
    shined up in sense of user interface
    so-so in sense of application"?

  17. Re: Please don't

    > Does "manjo" mean
    > " Crippled down in sense of hardware support
    > shined up in sense of user interface
    > so-so in sense of application"?

    I didn't realize there are people here taking this argument
    so personal, ans so serious, just for those few:

    same old argument i used to have when i was a boy:
    -commodore vs spectrum
    -pc vs mac
    -linux vs windows
    and many more equaly pointless dilemas...
    (pointless if one learns nothing or still chooses the wrong tool to hammer a
    nail)

    Let's just stick to the fact that MAC is changed a lot from what it was
    -it runs WINDOWS so it's a PC what more proof do you need ?

    And to fire up some more flames :
    While original MAC slowly faded away "PC" got bigger and better than ever
    before
    It's the same thing only more, and you get to see them in all shapes and
    sizes.
    Heck somone mentioned servers ?
    Is there a point to say that it's a "PC" packed in to 1U, 2U or whatever
    format of casing
    you prefer and "optimised" for use as a server, it can be used as PC no
    doubt about that !

    manjo

  18. [OT] PC * MS-Windows (Was: Please don't)

    manjo schrieb:

    > Apple (Mac) in terms of hardware is no more !
    > all there is now is MAC OSX
    > (more-less cripled down linux distro supporting "MAC hardware"
    > identified by BIOS serials and such)

    Do get your facts together before ranting: The base of Mac OS X is
    Darwin which is a BSD descendent. And BSD is usualy considered a Linux
    competitor:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X

    Also it's crippled down. Unlike Linux and all other BSD implementations
    Mac OS X v10.5 is a certified Unix system:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_...ation#Mac_OS_X

    > it realy is a PC packed and "branded" in to MAC casing
    > and it DOES run Windows (if users choose to make it so)

    But this was my point all a long (you should have followed the links and
    you would have seen.): A PC (Personal Computer) is a system with simple
    hardware designed to be used by on person doing simple standard work.
    The used operating system is not part of the definition. And therefore
    the MacMini and the iMac are indeed PCs.

    I am not posting this because I am a Mac-Fanboy (I use Window / Linux /
    Solaris as well) but because I like to point out that:

    PC * MS-Windows

    Because PC is a hardware description and MS-Windows is software system.

    A bit like HP50 * RPL, even true some might think so. But RPL is also
    used in the HP49, HP48 etc. pp. and the HP50 can also be programmed in
    C. One is the name for a Software the other for piece of Hardware.

    Regards

    Martin
    --
    mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

  19. Re: Please don't

    manjo schrieb:

    > -commodore vs spectrum
    > -pc vs mac

    - MS-Windows-PC vs Mac-OS-X-PC

    > -linux vs windows

    - Linux-PC vs MS-Windows-PC

    > Let's just stick to the fact that MAC is changed a lot from what it was
    > -it runs WINDOWS so it's a PC what more proof do you need ?

    The iMac is a PC. The MacPro is a Workstation and XServe is a Server-System.

    Again:

    Personal Computer: simple system designed for one standard user.
    Workstation: powerful system designed for a demanding user (do I hear
    "hard core gamer"?)
    Server: powerful system designed for more then one user.

    MS-Windows, Linux and Mac OS X are operating system (more or less)
    suitable for any of those hardware types.

    > Heck someone mentioned servers ?
    > Is there a point to say that it's a "PC" packed in to 1U, 2U or whatever
    > format of casing
    > you prefer and "optimised" for use as a server, it can be used as PC no
    > doubt about that !

    Sure a system build for more lets say 20 user can be used for just one
    user as well (but note that some server systems come without graphic
    card). But it does not work the other way round: A PC won't be able to
    cope with the demands of lets say 20 users.

    Martin
    --
    mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

  20. Re: Please don't

    In article <49096f57$1@news.post.ch>,
    Martin Krischik wrote:
    >Again:
    >
    >Personal Computer: simple system designed for one standard user.
    >Workstation: powerful system designed for a demanding user (do I hear
    >"hard core gamer"?)
    >Server: powerful system designed for more then one user.

    Then, what do you call a less powerful system designed to serve more
    than one user? E.g. a print server in your home network..... it could
    be an older PC which otherwise would have been discarded, but now it's
    loaded with software designed to serve multiple users. Or it could be
    a quite small device working as a server, but it's certainly not "powerful"
    by today's standards...