subdirectories on SD card - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on subdirectories on SD card - Hewlett Packard ; I see the direction where it goes now, some of us are now playing smart ans twisting and turning words ! Of course everybody knows that PC is a "personal computer" and if it's not a server or something else ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: Please don't

    I see the direction where it goes now,
    some of us are now playing smart ans twisting and turning words !

    Of course everybody knows that
    PC is a "personal computer" and if it's not a server or something else
    then it must be a PC. Even Pocket PC is a PC :-)

    But when we talk about PC most people assume x86/x64 based machine
    when we talk about MAC we assume Apple computer based on "their"
    processors Motorolla, PowerPC or G-something.

    PC was always built with customizable add-on hardware,
    on the other hand MAC was built and sold as is.
    "perferct for everyone and everything"
    In that view MAC was more similar to "home computers" of early days.

    While "PC" was very modular, upgradable, customizable and remained
    so to this day, using same(modernised) platform as in early days.

    I didn't intend to get any deeper in to this subject, because it's all
    obvious
    but i thought just to clear the "PC" name thing.

    manjo

  2. Re: Please don't

    Paul Schlyter schrieb:
    > In article <49096f57$1@news.post.ch>,
    > Martin Krischik wrote:
    >> Again:
    >>
    >> Personal Computer: simple system designed for one standard user.
    >> Workstation: powerful system designed for a demanding user (do I hear
    >> "hard core gamer"?)
    >> Server: powerful system designed for more then one user.

    > Then, what do you call a less powerful system designed to serve more
    > than one user? E.g. a print server in your home network..... it could
    > be an older PC which otherwise would have been discarded, but now it's
    > loaded with software designed to serve multiple users. Or it could be
    > a quite small device working as a server, but it's certainly not "powerful"
    > by today's standards...

    Quote Wikipedia:

    -------------------------
    A personal computer (PC) is any computer whose original sales price,
    size, and capabilities make it useful for individuals, and which is
    intended to be operated directly by an end user, with no intervening
    computer operator.
    -------------------------

    not the "original" and "intended" here. Of course PC's can be re-used
    for anything else as well. I recently visited CERN and they use
    up-market PC hardware as server grit. Cheaper then dedicated server
    hardware.

    Martin

    --
    mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

  3. Re: Please don't

    manjo schrieb:

    > Of course everybody knows that PC is a "personal computer"
    > and if it's not a server or something else
    > then it must be a PC. Even Pocket PC is a PC :-)

    Nope - it could also be a Workstation. Or a pocked calculator. Or a
    digital satellite receiver. The later would be an embedded system:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_system

    > But when we talk about PC most people assume x86/x64 based machine
    > when we talk about MAC we assume Apple computer based on "their"
    > processors Motorolla, PowerPC or G-something.

    What most people assume is not always right. If fact the opposite is
    true the uninformed majority often assumes wrong.

    > PC was always built with customizable add-on hardware,
    > on the other hand MAC was built and sold as is.
    > "perfect for everyone and everything"

    But a Pocket PC can't be enhanced either. You are contradicting
    yourself. BTW: Laptops and tablets are considered personal computers as
    well. And they too can't be enhanced.

    > In that view MAC was more similar to "home computers" of early days.

    So a quite a few other PCs.

    > While "PC" was very modular, upgradable, customizable and remained
    > so to this day, using same(modernised) platform as in early days.

    What you describe here is a desktop computer:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_computer

    A desktop computer is one of the many forms a personal computer take.

    > I didn't intend to get any deeper in to this subject, because it's all
    > obvious but i thought just to clear the "PC" name thing.

    Nope, it's not as obvious as you think. But maybe you thing more in
    terms of the IBM Personal Computer:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer

    Which is a desktop computer, is enhanceable, does uses Intel CPUs, uses
    a Microsoft Operating system and was discontinued 2 April 1987.

    However, quote wikipedia:

    Alongside "microcomputer" and "home computer," the term "personal
    computer" was already in use before 1981. It was used as early as 1972
    to characterize Xerox PARC's Alto.

    Regards

    Martin

    --
    mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

  4. Re: Please don't

    Thanks Martin,

    -you pointed out a couple of interesting articles in wikipedia
    -but NOTE that you again deviated from the point

    And the point is not in:
    -PC definition (or pc at all)
    -home computer definition
    -BSD, linux, windows whatever (after all it's MAC OSX)
    -any definition at all (it is all clear -at least to me)

    It's simply:
    "MAC" is not the thing it was before
    -these days it's a common "PC" in atractive casing (sometimes not) a bit
    overpriced though
    -it used to be hardware and software platform of its own
    -now comes down to: MAC is a brand of "PC" with proprietary OS

    "PC" is short for IBM PC (and kompatibles) as it used to be called back then
    I don't use the "IBM" part since IBM has nothing to do with it (unless you
    bought IBM brand of course)
    -meaning those "kompatibles" are the ones that rule the world and set the
    "standard"
    -PC is all it ever was, just got bigger and better (simply more)

    -in this context HP brand PCs are much more appealing to me than Apple/MAC
    brand

    Sidestory:
    -where I come from we had a bounch of "interesting people" who were so
    amazed with MACs
    that at some point they were pushing MACs into schools
    -it was ridiculous since "PC" was and is "standard machine" in most homes
    across the planet
    and is more affordable and configurable for any specific use.
    -i admit that's the moment when i developed some kind of "alergy" thowards
    MACs
    (so from that point and the fact that "I'm a PC" i'm over-biased and my
    argument is not worth much,
    but maybe worth considering)
    As allways i respect individual preference, even though sometimes silly for
    me.

    -MACs are in did in rare/some marekting offices (kept like jewels) shining
    there on the corner table/office
    while "PC" does all the work no matter if it's graphic, math, text, driving
    printing machinery and so on.

    And finally, please no more definitions or articles i encurage you all to
    use
    heads and common sense in this matter, rather than facts, articles and
    science !

    manjo

  5. Re: Please don't

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 06:58:55 -0500:

    > Quote Wikipedia

    It's good to know that at last,
    there's one absolute arbiter of all knowledge
    and definer of all terminology to be used by anyone,
    even if there's no one responsible for anything in it,
    and even if it's embroiled in controversy,
    when it comes to anything about which not everyone agrees.

    It does seem to be a fine repository
    of much well-written and useful information, in many cases,
    but I don't see how it can ever settle any argument
    between people who want to use various words to have various meanings,
    in different situations, in which case, it might be good for each person
    to just clarify what they mean in their own writings.

    "When I use a word," Humpty-Dumpty said,
    it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less"

    - Lewis Carroll, "Through the Looking Glass..." (1872)

    -[ ]-

  6. Re: Please don't

    Hi

    On 2008-10-31 00:51:53 +1100, "manjo" said:
    > -in this context HP brand PCs are much more appealing to me than Apple/MAC
    > brand

    Really?
    I'd love to know from what point of view a HP brand PC is going to be
    more appealing than a Mac...

    > -i admit that's the moment when i developed some kind of "alergy" thowards
    > MACs
    > (so from that point and the fact that "I'm a PC" i'm over-biased and my
    > argument is not worth much,
    > but maybe worth considering)
    > As allways i respect individual preference, even though sometimes silly for
    > me.

    Mac can run Windows while PC can't (not officially and as well
    integrated anyway). A Mac can do everything a PC does while the
    opposite isn't true: that itself should be sufficient to make a
    comparison

    I'd go as far as the only way you can prefer a PC over Mac is due to
    ignorance and lack of true knowledge...

    There are no logical arguments that could place a PC superior to an
    Apple machine because as you've stated, mac share so much common
    hardware with a PC.
    Except that from a developer perspective Mac OS is superior in every
    way to Windows.

    > -MACs are in did in rare/some marekting offices (kept like jewels) shining
    > there on the corner table/office
    > while "PC" does all the work no matter if it's graphic, math, text, driving
    > printing machinery and so on.

    You obviously haven't been to the right place.
    Most videos and photo editing place would use a mac ; it's one area
    where the applications available on mac shine...

    > And finally, please no more definitions or articles i encurage you all to
    > use
    > heads and common sense in this matter, rather than facts, articles and
    > science !

    I would suggest you use your own advice here and actually comments not
    based on what you "believe" but based on what you know for facts,
    rather than this irrational gibberish...

    Jean-Yves
    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

  7. Re: Please don't

    In article <490fd128$0$12297$426a74cc@news.free.fr>,
    JYA wrote:
    >Hi
    >
    >On 2008-10-31 00:51:53 +1100, "manjo" said:
    >> -in this context HP brand PCs are much more appealing to me than Apple/MAC
    >> brand

    >Really?
    >I'd love to know from what point of view a HP brand PC is going to be
    >more appealing than a Mac...
    >
    >> -i admit that's the moment when i developed some kind of "alergy" thowards
    >> MACs
    >> (so from that point and the fact that "I'm a PC" i'm over-biased and my
    >> argument is not worth much,
    >> but maybe worth considering)
    >> As allways i respect individual preference, even though sometimes silly for
    >> me.

    >Mac can run Windows while PC can't (not officially and as well
    >integrated anyway).

    What nonsense ..... you know damned well that a PC runs Windows fine!

    >A Mac can do everything a PC does while the
    >opposite isn't true: that itself should be sufficient to make a
    >comparison

    A PC can be bought very cheaply. You can build your own PC from
    separate parts which are readily available to buy. You cannot do that
    with a Mac: a Mac can only be obtained from Apple or its retailers; there
    is no second source for Mac's.

    >I'd go as far as the only way you can prefer a PC over Mac is due to
    >ignorance and lack of true knowledge...

    By going that far you only display your own ignorance. Valid reasons
    to prefer a PC over a Mac is:

    - Economy. OK, MAc's are no longer as outragely expensive as they once
    were, but a Mac is still much more expensive than a PC.

    - You enjoy tinkering with hardware. That's done much more easily with
    a PC than a Mac. How many Mac owners do you know who built their own Mac?
    Anyone at all?

    - Flexibility. There are second sources for everything in a PC. If
    you're not satisfied with a piece of your hardware, you can exchange it
    with something else. The only Mac you can buy are those manufactured
    by Apple.

    >There are no logical arguments that could place a PC superior to an
    >Apple machine because as you've stated, mac share so much common
    >hardware with a PC.

    In effect, Mac has become the copy and PC the original....

    Once, Mac's had GCR formatted floppies, they had Motorola CPU's, they
    had firewire rather than USB ports, they had SCSI harddisks.

    Then things started to change....

    The Mac switched from GCR formatted floppies to MSM formatted floppies,
    like everyone else - and suddenly it became much easier to exchange
    data between a Mac and a non-Mac.

    The Mac also switched from SCSI harddists to IDE harddisks - why? Wasn't
    SCSI much better? However, SCSI was also much more expensive. By
    switching to IDE Mac's got access to much cheaper harddisks, which were
    good enough for the Mac.

    Then the Mac switched CPU's. First from Motorola to PowerPC, and next
    from PowerPC to ..... gasp ..... INTEL !!!! This was a severe blow to
    the more dedicated followers of the Mac religion^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hcomputer,
    but I guess they adapted.

    And today's Mac's also have USB ports, just like PC's. Here the
    adaption has been more mutual though: PC's often have Forewire ports too.

    >Except that from a developer perspective Mac OS is superior in every
    >way to Windows.

    Fortunately PC users aren't forced to use Windoze. There are alternatives...

    However, Windoze, even though it's a somewhat sloppy OS, does have one
    great advantage: the vast amount of software available for it. And
    that's what you're (hopefully) using youir computer for: running useful
    applications rather than just admiring the beauty of the OS ..... right?

    >> -MACs are in did in rare/some marekting offices (kept like jewels) shining
    >> there on the corner table/office
    >> while "PC" does all the work no matter if it's graphic, math, text, driving
    >> printing machinery and so on.

    >You obviously haven't been to the right place.
    >Most videos and photo editing place would use a mac ; it's one area
    >where the applications available on mac shine...

    That's not surprising, because that's the area the Mac focused on from
    the very beginning.

    However, a computer is more than just a glorified digital darkroom,
    even though media people may be unaware of that.

    An area where the PC shines, compared to the Mac, is if you want to
    connect, and control, a piece of less common hardware to your computer.
    This includes some hardware you can buy in stores or order on the Net,
    but it could also include hardware you built yourself. To integrate
    such hardware with your computer may not be "easy", but on the PC
    with its open architecture it's at least straightforward to do so,
    even though it of course requires some amount of work. On the less
    open Mac it's not as straightforward.

    The proper way to choose a computer is this:

    1. Decide what you want to do with your computer

    2. Find applications which let you do that

    3. Choose the computer which runs those applications best

    If you're a lot into graphics or media, a Mac may be the best choice.
    If you're into hardware construction and control, a PC may be the best
    choice. Et cetera ..... both are excellent choices for those who choose,
    and you shouldn't declare people as idiots just because they make a different
    choice than you, because they probably know things you don't know.

    My favourite criterion for choosing is this:

    1. Find out who you are going to collaborate most with. If you'll
    dabble with your computer in isolation, this is of course irrelevent,
    then just decide what YOU want to do instead.

    2. Find out what computers most of your future collaborators are using.

    3. Choose a computer that's most compatible with their computers.

    >> And finally, please no more definitions or articles i encurage you all to
    >> use
    >> heads and common sense in this matter, rather than facts, articles and
    >> science !
    >>

    >I would suggest you use your own advice here and actually comments not
    >based on what you "believe" but based on what you know for facts,
    >rather than this irrational gibberish...

    Like the biased stuff you posted?

    >Jean-Yves
    >--
    >They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    >deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

    e-mail: pausch at stjarnhimlen dot se
    WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/

  8. Re: Please don't

    "JYA" wrote in message
    > There are no logical arguments that could place a PC superior to an Apple
    > machine because as you've stated, mac share so much common hardware with a
    > PC.
    > Except that from a developer perspective Mac OS is superior in every way
    > to Windows.

    Companies for which I've been working for
    have been using windows for past two decades.
    Niche computers are for niche market

    I said the same thing when I used an Amiga 3000
    A multitasking PC which was superior to the new Mac [and Lisa]
    But in the early 90's the PC became more powerful
    and finally in 95 when the first real Windows came the game was over
    [I was programming using NT 4.0]

    Now I'm planning to build yet again my own Windows XP PC
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DQ6
    2*2G RAM [room for two more - ready for Windows 7 beta 64 bit]
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450/Q9559/Q9650
    2*cheap Radeon 256MB=512 [to be replaced later with DirectX 11 cards]
    DVD+/-.RW [no Blue-Ray] sata
    Old Tower with extra 12" fans
    old floppy 3"
    ??? PATA card for more PATA drives ????
    Bluetooth*7 USB dongle
    Wifi card
    Thermaltake Toughpower 750W Cable Management
    2-3 pieces of
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (1,5 TB, 7200 RPM, sata II) ST31500341AS

    I'm willing to exchange my HP 16C for an Intel CORE 2 QUAD Q9650
    Each package should be easy to post in a padded envelope

  9. Re: Please don't

    Paul Schlyter wrote:

    > The proper way to choose a computer is this:
    >
    > 1. Decide what you want to do with your computer
    >
    > 2. Find applications which let you do that
    >
    > 3. Choose the computer which runs those applications best

    Alternatively...

    1) Ask yourself: Who is going to help you out when you get stuck?
    2) Find out what type of computer that person uses
    3) Buy the same

    :-)

    --
    Bruce Horrocks