    From: Lars Appel [mailto:lappel.3000@WEB.DE]
    Sent: 24 October 2008 23:20
    To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
    Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] IOCONFIG question.

    Lars Appel wrote:
    > No need to reboot the system or create an SLT for an ISL UPDATE.

    One clarification came to my mind when re-reading above sentence:

    While the SLT is not needed to activate the IOCONFIG changes,
    creating an updated SLT after config changes is a good idea from
    the backup point-of-view, of course.

    ;-) Lars

  2. Re: IOCONFIG question.

    Gary wrote:
    > ... whereas additions and frequently changes are fine
    > with a doionow, a deletion never seems to work ...

    Hmmm. It's a long time ago since I used IOCONFIG myself, but
    I seem to vaguely recall that some type for delete operations
    in IOCONFIG did not work or were not yet implemented, while
    others did work ok.

    I *believe* it was something like adding a tape worked, but
    deleting a tape did not. For network printers adding as well
    as deleting worked, but only if you stopped the spooler for
    the respective LDEV so that the device was not accessed any
    more when IOCONFIG attempted to remove it.

    As I said, it is from memory, so I may recall incorrectly.

    Have a nice weekend. Lars.