COBOL: text split routine, anyone? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on COBOL: text split routine, anyone? - Hewlett Packard ; Hi Folks, I have a custom COBOL routine that takes an incoming 2100-byte text string, and splits it out into 72-byte chunks, with record level splits to simulate word wrap. The reason for this is that we have a vendor ...

  1. COBOL: text split routine, anyone?

    Hi Folks,
    I have a custom COBOL routine that takes an incoming 2100-byte text string,
    and splits it out into 72-byte chunks, with record level splits to simulate word
    wrap. The reason for this is that we have a vendor serving as an after-hours
    call center for our business, and they are returning records of conversations
    they have with our customers. The records come, along with other data
    fields, with a 2100-byte text string representing a brief description of why the
    customer called and how the call was resolved. In our enterprise HP3000
    application, each 2100 byte text string is uploaded into an IMAGE data set in
    separate data records which are limited to 72-byte text strings. So we cut up
    the 2100-byte text into separate 72-byte strings with proper record splits to
    simulate word wrap so that when staff look in the HP3000 screen view, it is
    easy to read the message. It works fairly well, but there have been a few
    unexpected text parsing errors that have recently required my attention (the
    text parsing fails, the program bombs, I research the problem, then change,
    recompile, and test the program, etc.). I was wondering if any COBOL hands
    out there have ever tackled such a problem and if so would you be able/willing
    to share the source code? Thanks everyone as always, and have a great
    weekend.
    Eben

  2. Re: COBOL: text split routine, anyone?

    got examples? - d

    ---
    Donna Hofmeister
    Allegro Consultants, Inc.
    408-252-2330

  3. Re: COBOL: text split routine, anyone?

    I created an SPL routine that parses a large string of words and creates
    multiple strings at a requested length breaking on logical words breaks and
    punctuation. Being in SPL I'm not sure it would do you any good.

    Charlie