IOCONFIG question. - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on IOCONFIG question. - Hewlett Packard ; I used IOCONFIG to reconfigure some network printer classes. What do I have to do, if anything, to ensure that these changes persist through subsequent reboots of the HP3000? Yes, I read the communicator and the manual and all I ...

  1. IOCONFIG question.

    I used IOCONFIG to reconfigure some network printer classes. What do I
    have to do, if anything, to ensure that these changes persist through
    subsequent reboots of the HP3000?

    Yes, I read the communicator and the manual and all I can figure out from
    them is that "maybe" I do not have to do anything else.

    Regards,

    --
    *** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
    9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241

  2. Re: IOCONFIG question.

    James,

    If you make your changes with IOCONFIG, you need to do a START NORECOVERY.

    A better choice would have been to make the changes in SYSGEN and then do a DOIONOW.

    That way your changes would have already been saved.

    -Craig

    > I used IOCONFIG to reconfigure some network printer classes.
    > What do I
    > have to do, if anything, to ensure that these changes
    > persist through
    > subsequent reboots of the HP3000?
    >
    > Yes, I read the communicator and the manual and all I can
    > figure out from
    > them is that "maybe" I do not have to do anything
    > else.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > --
    > *** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
    > James B. Byrne mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
    > Harte & Lyne Limited http://www.harte-lyne.ca
    > 9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241
    > Hamilton, Ontario fax: +1 905 561 0757
    > Canada L8E 3C3
    >
    > * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list
    > settings, *
    > * etc., please visit
    > http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *

  3. Re: IOCONFIG question.

    Did anybody mention "make a new SLT" ?

    > If you make your changes with IOCONFIG, you need to do a START NORECOVERY.
    >
    > A better choice would have been to make the changes in SYSGEN and then do a

    DOIONOW.

    > That way your changes would have already been saved.
    >
    > -Craig

  4. Re: IOCONFIG question.

    On Thu, October 23, 2008 21:16, Craig Lalley wrote:
    > James,
    >
    > If you make your changes with IOCONFIG, you need to do a START NORECOVERY.
    >
    > A better choice would have been to make the changes in SYSGEN and then do
    > a DOIONOW.
    >
    > That way your changes would have already been saved.

    Thanks,

    New CSLTs are cut and a START NORECOVERY has been performed.

    --
    *** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
    9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241
    Hamilton, Ontario fax: +1 905 561 0757
    Canada L8E 3C3

  5. Re: IOCONFIG question.

    Craig, James...

    > If you make your changes with IOCONFIG, you need to do a START NORECOVERY.
    >
    > A better choice would have been to make the changes in SYSGEN and then do a DOIONOW.

    Well, I beg to differ. The last time I used IOCONFIG to configure
    network printers, for example, the changes were effective immediately.
    No need to reboot the system or create an SLT for an ISL UPDATE.

    If you perform HELP DOIONOW, you can see that it invokes IOCONFIG itself.

    When exiting IOCONFIG, it also saves your changes to the SYSGEN config
    to make them permanent, i.e. "survive" the next START NORECOVERY. Simply
    check SYSGEN after your IOCONFIG changes to verify they are there.

    One gotcha with IOCONFIG regarding rebooting... if you configure devices
    online with IOCONFIG, you should not forget to use the NORECOVERY option
    for your next reboot. Otherwise, i.e. if you START RECOVERY or just START,
    your "recent" config changes will "magically disappear", because a START
    recovery uses a special config group / nmconfig file that matches your
    most recent successful start... not what IOCONFIG updated when exiting.

    Regards, Lars.

  6. Re: IOCONFIG question.

    Lars Appel wrote:
    > No need to reboot the system or create an SLT for an ISL UPDATE.

    One clarification came to my mind when re-reading above sentence:

    While the SLT is not needed to activate the IOCONFIG changes,
    creating an updated SLT after config changes is a good idea from
    the backup point-of-view, of course.

    ;-) Lars

  7. Re: IOCONFIG question.

    Lars is correct.

    Although I'd still make a new CSLT, just in case.
    I personally keep the last 4 CLSTs, 3 copies of each, for fallback
    maneuveres.
    In a firesafe, and one is in an off site storage service, rotated
    weekly.

    Tracy Johnson
    Business Analyst
    Measurement Specialties, Inc.
    1000 Lucas Way
    Hampton, VA 23666
    Office 1-757-766-4318
    tracy.johnson@meas-spec.com
    www.meas-spec.com

  8. Re: IOCONFIG question.

    I make CSLT weekly, keeping 6. I also use copyslt and ftp offsite.

    Scott Baldwin
    Orchard Consulting Group, LLC
    (856) 223-0565 (v)
    sbaldwin@o-c-g.com