Pavillio dv6285eu out of warranty - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Pavillio dv6285eu out of warranty - Hewlett Packard ; I was handed a Pavilion dv6285eu to fix a problem starting - the top row of lights come on but nothing else happens. I did the standard checks removing the battery, checking the memory modules etc. but nothing. I told ...

  1. Pavillio dv6285eu out of warranty

    I was handed a Pavilion dv6285eu to fix a problem starting - the top row of
    lights come on but nothing else happens. I did the standard checks removing
    the battery, checking the memory modules etc. but nothing. I told the owner
    that it would have to be returned to HP.

    Today I hear of another case same model just out of warranty and unable to
    fix. Two in the same city within days of each other the conspiracy theories
    start running through my mind. I had the laptop last week to get rid of the
    annoying popup activated by HPSdoApp.exe which I removed.

    Anyone else had this problem - if they have of course they cannot get it on
    the forum!!

    David Hanmer
    Aberdeen
    Scotland

  2. Re: Pavillio dv6285eu out of warranty

    David Hanmer wrote:
    > I was handed a Pavilion dv6285eu to fix a problem starting - the top row of
    > lights come on but nothing else happens. I did the standard checks removing
    > the battery, checking the memory modules etc. but nothing. I told the owner
    > that it would have to be returned to HP.
    >
    > Today I hear of another case same model just out of warranty and unable to
    > fix. Two in the same city within days of each other the conspiracy theories
    > start running through my mind. I had the laptop last week to get rid of the
    > annoying popup activated by HPSdoApp.exe which I removed.
    >
    > Anyone else had this problem - if they have of course they cannot get it on
    > the forum!!
    >
    > David Hanmer
    > Aberdeen
    > Scotland

    See if the power connector socket wobbles a bit. If so, this is yet
    another example of poorly designed laptop motherboards, with a solder-on
    power connector. Solder, being a soft metal, eventually gives way under
    regular insertion and removal of the A/C adapter plug, unless one does
    so very gently.

    If it's not the power connector, possibly it is a failure of the NVIDIA®
    GeForce™ Go 7200 graphics on the motherboard. nVidia graphics chips
    have always been somewhat notorious for running very hot. Heat is the
    worst enemy of a computer (after spilled coffee and Coca Cola, of
    course), causing in internal breakdown of circuits within a chip. With
    nVidia graphics, either the system has a hard failure (similar to the
    dv6285eu's) or it begins to display graphics with all manner of
    on-screen artifacts and garbled info.

    Personally, I would bet on failure of the nVidia graphics, based on your
    description.

    That's about all I can speculate on, never having seen a dv6285eu, but
    having hands on with lots of other laptop repairs... Ben Myers

  3. Re: Pavillio dv6285eu out of warranty

    "Ben Myers" wrote in message
    > David Hanmer wrote:
    >> I was handed a Pavilion dv6285eu to fix a problem starting - the top row
    >> of lights come on but nothing else happens. I did the standard checks
    >> removing the battery, checking the memory modules etc. but nothing. I
    >> told the owner that it would have to be returned to HP.
    >>
    >> Today I hear of another case same model just out of warranty and unable
    >> to fix. Two in the same city within days of each other the conspiracy
    >> theories start running through my mind. I had the laptop last week to
    >> get rid of the annoying popup activated by HPSdoApp.exe which I removed.
    >>
    >> Anyone else had this problem - if they have of course they cannot get it
    >> on the forum!!
    >>
    >> David Hanmer
    >> Aberdeen
    >> Scotland
    >>

    > See if the power connector socket wobbles a bit. If so, this is yet
    > another example of poorly designed laptop motherboards, with a solder-on
    > power connector. Solder, being a soft metal, eventually gives way under
    > regular insertion and removal of the A/C adapter plug, unless one does so
    > very gently.
    >
    > If it's not the power connector, possibly it is a failure of the NVIDIA®
    > GeForce™ Go 7200 graphics on the motherboard. nVidia graphics chips have
    > always been somewhat notorious for running very hot. Heat is the worst
    > enemy of a computer (after spilled coffee and Coca Cola, of course),
    > causing in internal breakdown of circuits within a chip. With nVidia
    > graphics, either the system has a hard failure (similar to the dv6285eu's)
    > or it begins to display graphics with all manner of on-screen artifacts
    > and garbled info.
    >
    > Personally, I would bet on failure of the nVidia graphics, based on your
    > description.
    >
    > That's about all I can speculate on, never having seen a dv6285eu, but
    > having hands on with lots of other laptop repairs... Ben Myers

    ..
    Both of you may be interested in some software I've found for checking
    for overheating, and possibly controlling fans if they are available:

    http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

    I've installed it on my Presario SR5125CL under Vista SP1, and it runs,
    but the extra file needed to identify which temperature measurement is
    where is not yet available for that model.

  4. Re: Pavillio dv6285eu out of warranty

    Robert Miles wrote:
    > "Ben Myers" wrote in message
    >> David Hanmer wrote:
    >>> I was handed a Pavilion dv6285eu to fix a problem starting - the top row
    >>> of lights come on but nothing else happens. I did the standard checks
    >>> removing the battery, checking the memory modules etc. but nothing. I
    >>> told the owner that it would have to be returned to HP.
    >>>
    >>> Today I hear of another case same model just out of warranty and unable
    >>> to fix. Two in the same city within days of each other the conspiracy
    >>> theories start running through my mind. I had the laptop last week to
    >>> get rid of the annoying popup activated by HPSdoApp.exe which I removed.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else had this problem - if they have of course they cannot get it
    >>> on the forum!!
    >>>
    >>> David Hanmer
    >>> Aberdeen
    >>> Scotland
    >>>

    >> See if the power connector socket wobbles a bit. If so, this is yet
    >> another example of poorly designed laptop motherboards, with a solder-on
    >> power connector. Solder, being a soft metal, eventually gives way under
    >> regular insertion and removal of the A/C adapter plug, unless one does so
    >> very gently.
    >>
    >> If it's not the power connector, possibly it is a failure of the NVIDIA®
    >> GeForce™ Go 7200 graphics on the motherboard. nVidia graphics chips have
    >> always been somewhat notorious for running very hot. Heat is the worst
    >> enemy of a computer (after spilled coffee and Coca Cola, of course),
    >> causing in internal breakdown of circuits within a chip. With nVidia
    >> graphics, either the system has a hard failure (similar to the dv6285eu's)
    >> or it begins to display graphics with all manner of on-screen artifacts
    >> and garbled info.
    >>
    >> Personally, I would bet on failure of the nVidia graphics, based on your
    >> description.
    >>
    >> That's about all I can speculate on, never having seen a dv6285eu, but
    >> having hands on with lots of other laptop repairs... Ben Myers

    > .
    > Both of you may be interested in some software I've found for checking
    > for overheating, and possibly controlling fans if they are available:
    >
    > http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
    >
    > I've installed it on my Presario SR5125CL under Vista SP1, and it runs,
    > but the extra file needed to identify which temperature measurement is
    > where is not yet available for that model.

    I've tried SpeedFan on a number of systems. The sad facts are that many
    computer manufacturers save pennies by not making the temperature and
    fan sensors visible in the software, whereas others use non-standard
    sensors, giving problems to SpeedFan and other comparable software.
    Possibly the 4.35 version of SpeedFan overcomes some of these
    obstacles... Ben

  5. Re: Pavillio dv6285eu out of warranty

    "Possibly the 4.35 version of SpeedFan overcomes some of these
    obstacles." Nope. I tried it on two HPs, one desktop and one notebook with
    dual core AMD processors and it only reports one core temp on each. On my
    Acer notebook with all Intel innards, 4.35 does work well, reporting
    activity and temp readings on both cores of the Pentium dual core.

    HH

    "Ben Myers" wrote in message
    > Robert Miles wrote:
    >> "Ben Myers" wrote in message

    >>> See if the power connector socket wobbles a bit. If so, this is yet
    >>> another example of poorly designed laptop motherboards, with a solder-on
    >>> power connector. Solder, being a soft metal, eventually gives way under
    >>> regular insertion and removal of the A/C adapter plug, unless one does
    >>> so very gently.
    >>>
    >>> If it's not the power connector, possibly it is a failure of the NVIDIA®
    >>> GeForce™ Go 7200 graphics on the motherboard. nVidia graphics chips
    >>> have always been somewhat notorious for running very hot. Heat is the
    >>> worst enemy of a computer (after spilled coffee and Coca Cola, of
    >>> course), causing in internal breakdown of circuits within a chip. With
    >>> nVidia graphics, either the system has a hard failure (similar to the
    >>> dv6285eu's) or it begins to display graphics with all manner of
    >>> on-screen artifacts and garbled info.
    >>>
    >>> Personally, I would bet on failure of the nVidia graphics, based on your
    >>> description.
    >>>
    >>> That's about all I can speculate on, never having seen a dv6285eu, but
    >>> having hands on with lots of other laptop repairs... Ben Myers

    >> .
    >> Both of you may be interested in some software I've found for checking
    >> for overheating, and possibly controlling fans if they are available:
    >>
    >> http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
    >>
    >> I've installed it on my Presario SR5125CL under Vista SP1, and it runs,
    >> but the extra file needed to identify which temperature measurement is
    >> where is not yet available for that model.
    >>

    > I've tried SpeedFan on a number of systems. The sad facts are that many
    > computer manufacturers save pennies by not making the temperature and fan
    > sensors visible in the software, whereas others use non-standard sensors,
    > giving problems to SpeedFan and other comparable software. Possibly the
    > 4.35 version of SpeedFan overcomes some of these obstacles... Ben

  6. Re: Pavillio dv6285eu out of warranty

    If any of these people paid for their laptops with a VISA or Mastercard
    (Gold or better) and kept their receipts, you could advise them to use the
    extension of warranty benefit that comes with those cards. VISA paid to
    have a motherboard replaced on a Pavilion that died three months after the
    warranty expired. The VISA representative had me take the PC to a repair
    shop, have it fixed and then reimbursed me for the repair.

    "David Hanmer" wrote in message
    >I was handed a Pavilion dv6285eu to fix a problem starting - the top row of
    >lights come on but nothing else happens. I did the standard checks
    >removing the battery, checking the memory modules etc. but nothing. I told
    >the owner that it would have to be returned to HP.
    >
    > Today I hear of another case same model just out of warranty and unable to
    > fix. Two in the same city within days of each other the conspiracy
    > theories start running through my mind. I had the laptop last week to get
    > rid of the annoying popup activated by HPSdoApp.exe which I removed.
    >
    > Anyone else had this problem - if they have of course they cannot get it
    > on the forum!!
    >
    > David Hanmer
    > Aberdeen
    > Scotland

  7. Re: Pavillio dv6285eu out of warranty

    On my HP desktop, it reports three temperatures, but fails to label where
    those temperatures are.

    news:OYmdnRSzDNBn0pzUnZ2dnUVZ_h2dnZ2d@metrocastcab levision.com...

+ Reply to Thread