Re: OT: Alternative energy - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: OT: Alternative energy - Hewlett Packard ; Tom Emerson writes: > Also something the greens ignore with alternative fuels and such is > that you can't power an airplane with it. > ============================ > > > I beg to differ... > > http://www.pvresources.com/en/helios.php To reinforce what Tom ...

  1. Re: OT: Alternative energy

    Tom Emerson writes:

    > Also something the greens ignore with alternative fuels and such is
    > that you can't power an airplane with it.
    > ============================
    >

    > I beg to differ...
    >
    > http://www.pvresources.com/en/helios.php

    To reinforce what Tom writes, I just converted one of Paul MacCready's talks
    that I had recorded into the new web-based format. It's at:

    http://67.41.4.238/newtest/maccready/large.html

    As you undboubtedly know, Paul MacCready designed and built the Gossamer
    Condor and the Gossamer Challenger, but what you may not know is that he
    spent a great deal of time designing highly efficient vehicles because ofhis
    deep philosophical desire to reduce our footprint on the Earth. He was
    as "green" as anyone could get, and the inefficiency of cars infuriated him.

    Paul died last year, in August, at the age of 82. I recorded this talk when he
    was 80. Because of his age, he's speaking slowly in the talk, so take thetime
    to listen carefully to what he has to say.

    If you wish to get to the meat of his talk, particularly in regards to solar-
    powered aircraft, you can click on the 5th thumbnail at the bottom of the
    page. If you do that quickly, you may have to wait just a bit for the audio to
    download that far before it begins playing.

    Wirt Atmar

  2. Re: OT: Alternative energy

    my point was obviously about commercial and military aircraft.

    At 04:22 PM 10/22/2008, Wirt Atmar wrote:
    >Tom Emerson writes:
    >
    > > Also something the greens ignore with alternative fuels and such is
    > > that you can't power an airplane with it.
    > > ============================
    > >

    > > I beg to differ...
    > >
    > > http://www.pvresources.com/en/helios.php

    >To reinforce what Tom writes, I just converted one of Paul MacCready's talks
    >that I had recorded into the new web-based format. It's at:
    >
    > http://67.41.4.238/newtest/maccready/large.html
    >
    >As you undboubtedly know, Paul MacCready designed and built the Gossamer
    >Condor and the Gossamer Challenger, but what you may not know is that he
    >spent a great deal of time designing highly efficient vehicles because of his
    >deep philosophical desire to reduce our footprint on the Earth. He was
    >as "green" as anyone could get, and the inefficiency of cars infuriated him.
    >
    >Paul died last year, in August, at the age of 82. I recorded this
    >talk when he
    >was 80. Because of his age, he's speaking slowly in the talk, so
    >take the time
    >to listen carefully to what he has to say.
    >
    >If you wish to get to the meat of his talk, particularly in regards to solar-
    >powered aircraft, you can click on the 5th thumbnail at the bottom of the
    >page. If you do that quickly, you may have to wait just a bit for
    >the audio to
    >download that far before it begins playing.
    >
    >Wirt Atmar

    Regards,

    Shawn Gordon
    President