OT: Alternative energy - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on OT: Alternative energy - Hewlett Packard ; --- On Wed, 10/22/08, Hoxsie, Howard wrote: > My apologies, I didn't intend the $10,000 figure as a > quote or anything, just a nice round number to use as a starting point. > I also don't know how many ...

  1. OT: Alternative energy

    --- On Wed, 10/22/08, Hoxsie, Howard wrote:

    > My apologies, I didn't intend the $10,000 figure as a
    > quote or anything, just a nice round number to use as a starting point.
    > I also don't know how many private homes there are in the United States.

    *******************************

    The challenge today, is that the solar panels used on homes are only about 17% efficient. If we could double, triple, or more the efficiency, AND reduce the cost... then a solution can be had.

    I believe the soaring cost of energy is definitely motivating a lot of people. I also believe that people's complete lack of faith in our government to do anything helpful in any area is also pushing the progress as well.

    -Craig

  2. Re: OT: Alternative energy

    At 01:50 PM 10/22/2008, Craig Lalley wrote:
    >--- On Wed, 10/22/08, Hoxsie, Howard wrote:
    >

    > > My apologies, I didn't intend the $10,000 figure as a
    > > quote or anything, just a nice round number to use as a starting point.
    > > I also don't know how many private homes there are in the United States.
    > >

    >*******************************
    >
    >The challenge today, is that the solar panels used on homes are only
    >about 17% efficient. If we could double, triple, or more the
    >efficiency, AND reduce the cost... then a solution can be had.

    yea, my whole beef has been the efficiency factor. I want to get
    some panel for my camper and trickle charge the battery while dry
    camping. There are companies coming up with more and more effecient
    methods, but the key is the ability to cheaply mass produce.

    >I believe the soaring cost of energy is definitely motivating a lot
    >of people. I also believe that people's complete lack of faith in
    >our government to do anything helpful in any area is also pushing
    >the progress as well.
    >
    >-Craig

    Regards,

    Shawn Gordon
    President
    theKompany.com
    www.thekompany.com
    www.mindawn.com
    949-713-3276

  3. Re: OT: Alternative energy

    to your first reply on this thread...

    Why should the government pay for the panels, Shawn?

  4. Re: OT: Alternative energy

    Craig points out:

    "I believe the soaring cost of energy is definitely motivating a lot of
    people. I also believe that people's complete lack of faith in our
    government to do anything helpful in any area is also pushing the
    progress as well."

    And I'd like to add that we in the U.S. need to stop the government from
    giving the oil companies tax breaks/credits to find alternative energy
    sources. That's like asking the spider for help out of its web.

    What we need to do is have the government steer those tax dollars to the
    research colleges and institutions, so we can get on with the solution.