euler's identity - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on euler's identity - Hewlett Packard ; Hello, Is there a way to convert a bunch of e-functions into sin or cos? TSIMP doesn't seem to do it. Thanks, Christoph...

  1. euler's identity

    Hello,

    Is there a way to convert a bunch of e-functions into sin or cos?
    TSIMP doesn't seem to do it.

    Thanks,

    Christoph

  2. Re: euler's identity

    In article
    <01531d2f-35c3-4dd1-9411-52adde06a31a@l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
    Christoph Koehler wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Is there a way to convert a bunch of e-functions into sin or cos?
    > TSIMP doesn't seem to do it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Christoph

    If you mean converting expressions like
    'EXP(i*X)' to
    'COS(X) + i*SIN(X)'

    Try the following program:

    \<< -103 SF @ sets complex mode
    {'EXP(i*&X)' 'COS(&X)+i*SIN(&X)'}
    \|^MATCH @ where \|^ represents the ASCII 114 up-arrow character
    DROP
    \>>
    Note that the '&X' expressions in the second line allow replacement of
    an arbitrary expression.

    The up-arrow-MATCH command will replace anything matching 'EXP(i*&X)'
    by 'COS(&X)+i*SIN(&X)', even inside more complicated expressions.
    And it returns a 1 if any replacement was made or 0 if none was masd
    (hence the DROP command).

    There is a similar command with a down arrow instead of an up arrow.

    The up arrow command works from inside out on the expression on level 1,
    and the down arrow command from the outside in.

    Using these arrowed MATCH commands, on can set up about any conversions
    one wants as programs, or even in a library, and have them perpetually
    available.

  3. Re: euler's identity

    [Right-Shift] [TRIG] [NXT] |SINCO

    "Virgil" wrote in message
    > In article
    > <01531d2f-35c3-4dd1-9411-52adde06a31a@l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
    > Christoph Koehler wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Is there a way to convert a bunch of e-functions into sin or cos?
    >> TSIMP doesn't seem to do it.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Christoph

    > If you mean converting expressions like
    > 'EXP(i*X)' to
    > 'COS(X) + i*SIN(X)'
    >
    > Try the following program:
    >
    > \<< -103 SF @ sets complex mode
    > {'EXP(i*&X)' 'COS(&X)+i*SIN(&X)'}
    > \|^MATCH @ where \|^ represents the ASCII 114 up-arrow character
    > DROP
    > \>>
    > Note that the '&X' expressions in the second line allow replacement of
    > an arbitrary expression.
    >
    > The up-arrow-MATCH command will replace anything matching 'EXP(i*&X)'
    > by 'COS(&X)+i*SIN(&X)', even inside more complicated expressions.
    > And it returns a 1 if any replacement was made or 0 if none was masd
    > (hence the DROP command).
    >
    > There is a similar command with a down arrow instead of an up arrow.
    >
    > The up arrow command works from inside out on the expression on level 1,
    > and the down arrow command from the outside in.
    >
    > Using these arrowed MATCH commands, on can set up about any conversions
    > one wants as programs, or even in a library, and have them perpetually
    > available.

  4. Re: euler's identity

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:23:47 +0300, "Veli-Pekka Nousiainen"
    wrote:

    >[Right-Shift] [TRIG] [NXT] |SINCO

    In what manual and where is this described?

    A.L.

  5. Re: euler's identity

    You don't even need any manuals - the calc's HELP will tell you this!
    Happy exploring the calculator - it surely takes some time with so many
    functions

    "A.L." wrote in message
    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:23:47 +0300, "Veli-Pekka Nousiainen"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>[Right-Shift] [TRIG] [NXT] |SINCO
    >>|

    > In what manual and where is this described?
    >
    > A.L.

  6. Re: euler's identity

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 05:37:23 -0500, some perpetual "sourpuss" wrote:

    > In what manual and where is this described?

    SINCOS is seen in the TRIG menu on page "56" of the HP50G User Manual,
    is described in detail on page "4-67" of the HP50G "AUR,"
    and of course in built-in CAS HELP.

    Although there is a total of 1724 fully indexed and searchable
    PDF pages of manuals for the HP50G, explaining absolutely everything
    (how many of which have you read?),
    the answers to all possible questions that could ever be proposed
    are not included, nor are any spoons nor feeding tubes supplied
    for force-feeding all knowledge and all-knowingness into any student's head.

    I believe it's much the same situation
    with even the most advanced mathematics software for computers.

    Now that computers (or is it iPhones) are taking the place
    of calculators, do they now enable students to know everything
    without having to do anything?

    -[ ]-

  7. Re: euler's identity

    On Oct 22, 11:53*am, "John H Meyers" wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 05:37:23 -0500, some perpetual "sourpuss" wrote:
    > > In what manual and where is this described?

    > SINCOS is seen in the TRIG menu on page "56" of the HP50G User Manual,
    > is described in detail on page "4-67" of the HP50G "AUR,"
    > and of course in built-in CAS HELP.
    >
    > Although there is a total of 1724 fully indexed and searchable
    > PDF pages of manuals for the HP50G, explaining absolutely everything
    > (how many of which have you read?),
    > the answers to all possible questions that could ever be proposed
    > are not included, nor are any spoons nor feeding tubes supplied
    > for force-feeding all knowledge and all-knowingness into any student's head.
    >
    > I believe it's much the same situation
    > with even the most advanced mathematics software for computers.
    >
    > Now that computers (or is it iPhones) are taking the place
    > of calculators, do they now enable students to know everything
    > without having to do anything?
    >
    > -[ ]-

    Thanks guys! I know this stuff without the calc, but it's easier and
    faster this way

    Christoph

+ Reply to Thread