capture message file - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on capture message file - Hewlett Packard ; Hi, Not sure where this question lies (HP or Powerhouse) but someone out there might point me in a direction HP3000 MPE/iX cognos 7.29 c.9 We have a Cobol program (prog1) that creates a message file (msg1), this message file ...

  1. capture message file

    Hi,

    Not sure where this question lies (HP or Powerhouse) but someone out
    there might point me in a direction

    HP3000 MPE/iX cognos 7.29 c.9

    We have a Cobol program (prog1) that creates a message file (msg1),
    this message file is read by another Cobol program (prog2) (destructive
    reads) and is processed. I was wondering if anybody had come across a
    way to get a copy of this message file (msg1) while leaving it to carry
    out its normal process and be read by Cobol program 2 (prog2).

    Here’s the catch

    We cannot change either of the Cobol programs
    We have to capture msg1 in real time
    We have to leave the data undisturbed so it is processed as normal.

    Appreciate any thoughts

    Anne

  2. Re: capture message file

    so I if I understand the sequence properly, it's:

    1. run prog1
    2. msg1 is created as a result
    3. run prog2 (using msg1 as input)

    my suggestion would be:

    1. run prog1
    2. msg1 is created
    3. copy msg1 to a normal flat file (cleverly named copy1 :-)
    4. purge msg1
    5. copy copy1 back into msg1
    6. run prog1 (still using msg1 as input)
    7. do great and profound things with copy1

    or something close to the above.... - d

    ---
    Donna Hofmeister
    Allegro Consultants, Inc.
    408-252-2330

  3. Re: capture message file

    Anne,

    One thought would be to insert a cobol program process, that reads the first message file, logs the file and writes to a second message file.

    Given your parameters, that looks to me about the only way to do it.

    -Craig

    Not sure where this question lies (HP or Powerhouse) but someone out
    there might point me in a direction

    HP3000 MPE/iX cognos 7.29 c.9

    We have a Cobol program (prog1) that creates a message file (msg1),
    this message file is read by another Cobol program (prog2) (destructive
    reads) and is processed. I was wondering if anybody had come across a
    way to get a copy of this message file (msg1) while leaving it to carry
    out its normal process and be read by Cobol program 2 (prog2).

    Here¢s the catch

    We cannot change either of the Cobol programs
    We have to capture msg1 in real time
    We have to leave the data undisturbed so it is processed as normal.

    Appreciate any thoughts

    Anne

  4. Re: capture message file

    Anne,

    If it's a transaction driven (ie, prog one creates a message file entry
    when a transaction is processed and passes it on to prog two for further
    background processing)environment, such as MM3000 or SFD uses, I would
    write a short program which reads the message file from prog one,
    creates a "log" file entry and echos the message file entry to a second
    message file read by program 2.

    You should be able to file equate the intermediate message file to the
    one program 2 expects to read without any impact. There would still be
    at least one writer and one reader.

    Jack Connor

    so I if I understand the sequence properly, it's:

    1. run prog1
    2. msg1 is created as a result
    3. run prog2 (using msg1 as input)

    my suggestion would be:

    1. run prog1
    2. msg1 is created
    3. copy msg1 to a normal flat file (cleverly named copy1 :-) 4. purge
    msg1 5. copy copy1 back into msg1 6. run prog1 (still using msg1 as
    input) 7. do great and profound things with copy1

    or something close to the above.... - d

    ---
    Donna Hofmeister
    Allegro Consultants, Inc.
    408-252-2330

  5. Re: capture message file

    Anne, all,

    "Copy Mode" and "Nondestructive Reads" can be done with if you have exclusive access to a message file. See:
    http://docs.hp.com/en/32650-90019/ch04s06.html
    http://docs.hp.com/en/32650-90821/ch04s52.html
    http://docs.hp.com/en/32650-90821/ch04s101.html

    The :FILE command does support ";COPY" so it is possible to "view" message files with ":PRINT" or "FCOPY". Again must be done with exclusive access -- forgetting COPY will cause your message file to be emptied!!!!

    Note also that the "accessing files" guide for MPE V even had some Cobol examples with message files.
    http://invent3k.external.hp.com/~MGR...90236.15226/56

    Also SPL examples. The MPE/XL/iX manuals have Pascal examples. . .

    Hope that helps,

    Jim Hawkins