    From: Paul Raulerson [mailtoaul.raulerson@MAC.COM]
    Sent: Friday, October 17, 2008 8:39 PM
    To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
    Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] Disaster Recovery, ASP hosting and MPE OS
    support - case study #1

    On Friday, October 17, 2008, at 12:49PM, "Matthew Perdue"

    > wrote:
    > It's not just the computer you have to worry about....
    >
    > True story.. somewhere in the upper Western states of the U.S.
    [snip...]
    > Is your business prepared for a situation like this?

    Sure- that's what we have mean, nasty, hungry lawyers for of course.
    And we own our building, which conveys different kinds of rights.

    -Paul

  2. Re: <plug> Disaster Recovery, ASP hosting and MPE OS s upport - case study #1

    We had offices hit by Katrina, Rita, and that blasted Gustav. We had
    to run truckloads of ice and gasoline over to some of our people in
    Louisiana after than blowhard hit. Gustav took out almost 3/4s of our
    offices in Lousiana, including the main office there. Emergency
    telephone rerouting and a big honking generator got us through 12 days
    of downtime.

    But all of our processing and IT is centralized here in Austin. I use
    thin clients for all the desktops; any user anywhere in our enterprise
    can log onto any thin client and get their desktop, files, and normal
    access seamlessly. Even from a laptop connected on a cell phone.

    The policyholders never even knew our La. offices were out, and their
    claims were processed with absolutely no delay on our part.

    Still, a natural disaster is way different that some city goofballs
    kicking you out of your building. That kind of nonsense would NOT have
    been tolerated here. The nutcases who tried to pull something like
    that would have been eagle meat - so long as the eagles have passed
    their bar exams and like raw meat.

    -Paul