Survey on favorite vintage HP calculators - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Survey on favorite vintage HP calculators - Hewlett Packard ; HP would like to hear what your favorite vintage (no-longer-manufactured) HP calculators are. They have put up a short survey here: http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/?p=WEB228BU68XY93 Please fill it out and show your support for your favorite "classic" HP calculators! Regards, Eric Rechlin...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

  1. Survey on favorite vintage HP calculators

    HP would like to hear what your favorite vintage (no-longer-manufactured) HP
    calculators are. They have put up a short survey here:

    http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/?p=WEB228BU68XY93

    Please fill it out and show your support for your favorite "classic" HP
    calculators!

    Regards,

    Eric Rechlin

  2. Re: Survey on favorite vintage HP calculators

    1. HP48GX
    2. HP41CX

    --
    tiwag

  3. Re: Survey on favorite vintage HP calculators

    tiwag schrieb:
    > 1. HP48GX
    > 2. HP41CX

    It does not help to say it here - you need to fill in the survey. Besides:

    1. HP16C
    2. HP41CX

    Martin

    --
    mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

  4. Re: Survey on favorite vintage HP calculators

    On 15 Okt., 17:50, Martin Krischik
    wrote:
    > tiwag schrieb:
    >
    > > 1. HP48GX
    > > 2. HP41CX

    > It does not help to say it here - you need to fill in the survey. Besides:

    you are right and i filled the survey already,
    but when you have a look at the survey results,
    you'll see, that you can't see the "Others"
    therefore i decided to post it here ;-)

    --
    tiwag

  5. Re: Survey on favorite vintage HP calculators

    tiwag writes:

    > On 15 Okt., 17:50, Martin Krischik
    > wrote:
    >> tiwag schrieb:
    >>
    >> > 1. HP48GX
    >> > 2. HP41CX

    >> It does not help to say it here - you need to fill in the survey. Besides:

    > you are right and i filled the survey already,
    > but when you have a look at the survey results,
    > you'll see, that you can't see the "Others"
    > therefore i decided to post it here ;-)

    I surprised myself by putting HP11C and HP15C as first &
    second choice... even though I have other, more powerful calculators,
    I feel those were more suited to particular applications (engineering
    / electrical engineering).

    Back when I was studying engineering, I think 20 out of 25
    people in my class had the 15C. Of the remainder, two or three had
    HP41, there was one Casio FX702P (later replaced by a 15C), a Sharp
    PC1500 and and 11C (mine, later replaced by a 41C).

    Even without complex number support on the 11C, I was normally
    able to keep up with my classmates on certain exercises that involved
    complex numbers. That, and the fact that I never actually owned a 15C,
    made my place the 11C before the 15C on the survey :-)

  6. Re: Survey on favorite vintage HP calculators

    HP-42S
    Xpander

    "Raymond Wiker" wrote in message
    > tiwag writes:
    >
    >> On 15 Okt., 17:50, Martin Krischik
    >> wrote:

    >>> It does not help to say it here - you need to fill in the survey.
    >>> Besides:

    >> you are right and i filled the survey already,
    >> but when you have a look at the survey results,
    >> you'll see, that you can't see the "Others"
    >> therefore i decided to post it here ;-)

    > I surprised myself by putting HP11C and HP15C as first &
    > second choice... even though I have other, more powerful calculators,
    > I feel those were more suited to particular applications (engineering
    > / electrical engineering).
    >
    > Back when I was studying engineering, I think 20 out of 25
    > people in my class had the 15C. Of the remainder, two or three had
    > HP41, there was one Casio FX702P (later replaced by a 15C), a Sharp
    > PC1500 and and 11C (mine, later replaced by a 41C).
    >
    > Even without complex number support on the 11C, I was normally
    > able to keep up with my classmates on certain exercises that involved
    > complex numbers. That, and the fact that I never actually owned a 15C,
    > made my place the 11C before the 15C on the survey :-)

  7. Re: Survey on favorite vintage HP calculators

    Eric Rechlin schrieb:

    > HP would like to hear what your favorite vintage (no-longer-manufactured) HP
    > calculators are. They have put up a short survey here:
    >
    > http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/?p=WEB228BU68XY93
    >
    > Please fill it out and show your support for your favorite "classic" HP
    > calculators!

    I wonder if the high amount of "others" might be a strategic mistake on
    our side.

    HP did not make this survey for the pure fun of it. And they did not
    choose those 5 samples randomly. Do note that the HP-12C is missing
    (which is still in production) and there question for what we would be
    prepared to pay.

    They are most likely have a plan of some kind. For example a revival of
    one or more of those 5 named calculators. If they where considering
    other systems as well they would be on the list.

    So having "Other calculator" on place 1 on both favourite and second
    favourite might mean that there plan won't work for them and as such put
    an end to it.

    Martin
    --
    mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

  8. Re: Survey on favorite vintage HP calculators

    On Oct 17, 3:09*am, Martin Krischik
    wrote:
    > HP did not make this survey for the pure fun of it. And they did not
    > choose those 5 samples randomly. Do note that the HP-12C is missing
    > (which is still in production) and there question for what we would be
    > prepared to pay.
    >
    > They are most likely have a plan of some kind. For example a revival of
    > one or more of those 5 named calculators. If they where considering
    > other systems as well they would be on the list.

    There are basically two choices on the list: Voyager series or HP41.
    Bringing back any of the Voyagers should cost HP next to nothing since
    the 12C is still in production. The only difference is in the key
    labels and the firmware, and I'm sure the old firmware of the
    10/11/15/16 is still lying around somewhere at HP.

    What I really want is a simple, low cost, non-programmable RPN-only
    scientific calculator with acceptable keyboard feedback. Preferably
    this should be in the $20-30 range at most, if possible.

    S.C.

  9. Re: Survey on favorite vintage HP calculators

    You think the CPU is still in production?
    Me thinks: no!
    One have to re-program the complete HP-15C
    and while HP is doing this,
    they could add more memory, more labels, etc...
    wrote:
    > HP did not make this survey for the pure fun of it. And they did not
    > choose those 5 samples randomly. Do note that the HP-12C is missing
    > (which is still in production) and there question for what we would be
    > prepared to pay.
    >
    > They are most likely have a plan of some kind. For example a revival of
    > one or more of those 5 named calculators. If they where considering
    > other systems as well they would be on the list.

    There are basically two choices on the list: Voyager series or HP41.
    Bringing back any of the Voyagers should cost HP next to nothing since
    the 12C is still in production. The only difference is in the key
    labels and the firmware, and I'm sure the old firmware of the
    10/11/15/16 is still lying around somewhere at HP.

    What I really want is a simple, low cost, non-programmable RPN-only
    scientific calculator with acceptable keyboard feedback. Preferably
    this should be in the $20-30 range at most, if possible.

    S.C.

  10. Re: Survey on favorite vintage HP calculators

    On 2008-10-16 01:37:33 +1100, "Eric Rechlin" said:

    > HP would like to hear what your favorite vintage (no-longer-manufactured) HP
    > calculators are. They have put up a short survey here:
    >
    > http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/?p=WEB228BU68XY93
    >
    > Please fill it out and show your support for your favorite "classic" HP
    > calculators!

    I really think HP is listening to the wrong people regarding what their
    next product should be.

    It seems that the only people they are talking to are people who were
    HP users back in the 80s through events like the HPCC conference.

    Sure, HP made some great stuff back then, but really how many people
    are likely going to buy a revamp of a HP15C, a 41CX other than the 100
    people following this newsgroup.

    Yet, everytime I attend the conference that's what the people there
    will ask for, and unfortunately HP is listening.

    We be gaining market share that way.

    Jean-Yves

    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

  11. Re: Survey on favorite vintage HP calculators

    On Oct 18, 6:24*pm, JYA wrote:
    > On 2008-10-16 01:37:33 +1100, "Eric Rechlin" said:
    >
    > > HP would like to hear what your favorite vintage (no-longer-manufactured) HP
    > > calculators are. *They have put up a short survey here:

    > >http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/?p=WEB228BU68XY93

    > > Please fill it out and show your support for your favorite "classic" HP
    > > calculators!

    > I really think HP is listening to the wrong people regarding what their
    > next product should be.
    >
    > It seems that the only people they are talking to are people who were
    > HP users back in the 80s through events like the HPCC conference.
    >
    > Sure, HP made some great stuff back then, but really how many people
    > are likely going to buy a revamp of a HP15C, a 41CX other than the 100
    > people following this newsgroup.
    >
    > Yet, everytime I attend the conference that's what the people there
    > will ask for, and unfortunately HP is listening.
    >
    > We be gaining market share that way.
    >
    > Jean-Yves
    >
    > --
    > They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    > deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

    May I ask who were the people you were listening to before you started
    the Qonos project?
    Regrds,
    Reth

  12. Re: Survey on favorite vintage HP calculators

    Am 17.10.2008, 22:29 Uhr, schrieb :

    > On Oct 17, 3:09*am, Martin Krischik
    > wrote:
    >> HP did not make this survey for the pure fun of it. And they did not
    >> choose those 5 samples randomly. Do note that the HP-12C is missing
    >> (which is still in production) and there question for what we would be
    >> prepared to pay.
    >>
    >> They are most likely have a plan of some kind. For example a revival of
    >> one or more of those 5 named calculators. If they where considering
    >> other systems as well they would be on the list.

    > There are basically two choices on the list: Voyager series or HP41.
    > Bringing back any of the Voyagers should cost HP next to nothing since
    > the 12C is still in production.

    AFAIK the curretn HP 12C use a different hardware.

    > The only difference is in the key
    > labels and the firmware, and I'm sure the old firmware of the
    > 10/11/15/16 is still lying around somewhere at HP.

    With would only partialy usefull with old hardware.

    > What I really want is a simple, low cost, non-programmable RPN-only
    > scientific calculator with acceptable keyboard feedback. Preferably
    > this should be in the $20-30 range at most, if possible.

    Interersing. I am lokking fo a HP 16C. The HP 16C emulation is my most
    used system at the moment. Of course the HP 16C which are sold at eBay
    have sky rocked prices. Besides, a 14-Segment display with 32 characters
    would be more appropiate for an calculator doing hex and binary
    calculations.

    I think HP is looking for there past success, the sky rocket eBay prices
    of the vintage calculators and wonder what theyy did right at the time and
    what they are doing wrong today - and then there might be a revival system.

    Martin

    --

  13. Re: Survey on favorite vintage HP calculators

    Am 18.10.2008, 09:24 Uhr, schrieb JYA :

    > On 2008-10-16 01:37:33 +1100, "Eric Rechlin" said:
    >
    >> HP would like to hear what your favorite vintage
    >> (no-longer-manufactured) HP
    >> calculators are. They have put up a short survey here:
    >> http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/?p=WEB228BU68XY93
    >> Please fill it out and show your support for your favorite "classic" HP
    >> calculators!

    > I really think HP is listening to the wrong people regarding what their
    > next product should be.

    I disagree here. HP should be trying to find out what they did right then
    and why they are not as successful now.

    > It seems that the only people they are talking to are people who were HP
    > users back in the 80s through events like the HPCC conference.
    >
    > Sure, HP made some great stuff back then, but really how many people are
    > likely going to buy a revamp of a HP15C, a 41CX other than the 100
    > people following this newsgroup.

    I am not shure about that. I have tried several HP emultators - great
    stuff, you can try all sorts of calculators without need to buy them.

    Example: HP 42s vs HP 41cx. While the 42 has many more functions - some of
    which I liked - it lacked in one point: The user and alpha key. I found it
    highly 42 menu system to enter alpha characres highly cumbersome. Other
    hand: the user key - give any key a user defined function - great idea.

    But of those ideas could be transported into the current age with a
    current state of the art calculator. I think the HP 35s was a step into
    the right direction but usability could be a bit better and an I/O port
    would have been nice.

    And my most used emulator: A HP 16c. Now if only I would have know at the
    time I would have got one (current eBay prices are just sky high). Domain
    specific calculators (like the voyagers) is the way to go.

    Martin

    --

  14. Re: Survey on favorite vintage HP calculators

    "Martin Krischik" wrote in message
    newsp.ui9sw0pqz25lew@macpro.krischik.com...
    > And my most used emulator: A HP 16c. Now if only I would have know at the
    > time I would have got one (current eBay prices are just sky high). Domain
    > specific calculators (like the voyagers) is the way to go.
    >
    > Martin
    > --

    I would sell my HP-16C (still working) for a sky-high price
    without a proper IT Consulting job I just have to sell everything valuable
    (and easy to ship) man - it hurts !!!

  15. Re: Survey on favorite vintage HP calculators

    Martin Krischik wrote:

    [...]

    > And my most used emulator: A HP 16c. Now if only I would have know at
    > the time I would have got one (current eBay prices are just sky high).
    > Domain specific calculators (like the voyagers) is the way to go.

    Interesting, you mention the HP-16c an the next day when cleaning the
    garage I run across mine, also my HP-71B, HP28C and HP28S. Even more
    interesting is that I removed the batteries whenever they went into
    storage and look great.

    Think I'll dig up some batteries and give my 15c some company. Just
    today I saw at the dollar store a pack of 357s, about 8 for a buck.

    Cheers,

    Rich

    > Martin

  16. Re: Survey on favorite vintage HP calculators

    I second that. I hate going home and having to use a "normal" calculator to
    do the banking or some other menial task.

    --
    Dan Field
    (Graduate Surveyor)

    wrote:
    > HP did not make this survey for the pure fun of it. And they did not
    > choose those 5 samples randomly. Do note that the HP-12C is missing
    > (which is still in production) and there question for what we would be
    > prepared to pay.
    >
    > They are most likely have a plan of some kind. For example a revival of
    > one or more of those 5 named calculators. If they where considering
    > other systems as well they would be on the list.

    There are basically two choices on the list: Voyager series or HP41.
    Bringing back any of the Voyagers should cost HP next to nothing since
    the 12C is still in production. The only difference is in the key
    labels and the firmware, and I'm sure the old firmware of the
    10/11/15/16 is still lying around somewhere at HP.

    What I really want is a simple, low cost, non-programmable RPN-only
    scientific calculator with acceptable keyboard feedback. Preferably
    this should be in the $20-30 range at most, if possible.

    S.C.

  17. Re: Survey on favorite vintage HP calculators

    Veli-Pekka Nousiainen schrieb:

    > "Martin Krischik" wrote in message
    > newsp.ui9sw0pqz25lew@macpro.krischik.com...

    >> And my most used emulator: A HP 16c. Now if only I would have know at the
    >> time I would have got one (current eBay prices are just sky high). Domain
    >> specific calculators (like the voyagers) is the way to go.

    > I would sell my HP-16C (still working) for a sky-high price
    > without a proper IT Consulting job I just have to sell everything valuable
    > (and easy to ship) man - it hurts !!!

    Depending on condition, scratches (or the lack of them), handbook (or
    the lack of it) you can get between US$ 250 to US$ 400. Be prepared to
    ship outside the US - the are even more scares here in Europe.

    Currently there is a "buy now" for US$ 489.00 and a auction with 13
    bidders and 5 days to go.

    Good luck to you.

    Martin
    --
    mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

  18. Re: Survey on favorite vintage HP calculators

    manuals...manuals...
    only 34C OHb &PG + 15C AFHb
    with 16C, say 5000 Euros in Europe?
    (I was hoping for a thousand...)
    It's extremely hard to give up - even when in need for $

    > Veli-Pekka Nousiainen schrieb:
    >
    >> "Martin Krischik" wrote in message
    >> newsp.ui9sw0pqz25lew@macpro.krischik.com...

    >>> And my most used emulator: A HP 16c. Now if only I would have know at
    >>> the
    >>> time I would have got one (current eBay prices are just sky high).
    >>> Domain
    >>> specific calculators (like the voyagers) is the way to go.

    >> I would sell my HP-16C (still working) for a sky-high price
    >> without a proper IT Consulting job I just have to sell everything
    >> valuable
    >> (and easy to ship) man - it hurts !!!

    > Depending on condition, scratches (or the lack of them), handbook (or
    > the lack of it) you can get between US$ 250 to US$ 400. Be prepared to
    > ship outside the US - the are even more scares here in Europe.
    >
    > Currently there is a "buy now" for US$ 489.00 and a auction with 13
    > bidders and 5 days to go.
    >
    > Good luck to you.
    >
    > Martin
    > --
    > mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
    > Ada programming at: http://ada.krischik.com

  19. Re: Survey on favorite vintage HP calculators

    "JYA" wrote in message
    > I really think HP is listening to the wrong people regarding what their next
    > product should be.

    Who do you think they *should* be listening to?

    I figure the folks at, e.g., HPCC conferences are a representative subset of
    what people in general want in a calculator... just those who are willing to
    attend HPCC tend to have much stronger opinions about it. This is useful in
    that such people have usually consciously thought about what they like and
    don't like in a calculator and can express it clearly, whereas the "average"
    user often hasn't given it nearly so much thought.

    > Sure, HP made some great stuff back then, but really how many people are
    > likely going to buy a revamp of a HP15C, a 41CX other than the 100 people
    > following this newsgroup.

    The same people buying the high-end TI and Casio calculators now, I would
    think? There's plenty to like about TI and Casio calculators, but there's no
    fundamental technology they have that HP can't have as well... and HP perhaps
    still even maintains a better reputation for quality than they do.

    ---Joel

  20. Re: Survey on favorite vintage HP calculators

    Hi

    On 2008-10-19 22:59:14 +1100, "Martin Krischik"
    said:
    > I disagree here. HP should be trying to find out what they did right
    > then and why they are not as successful now.

    The market has changed.
    People aren't looking for the same products or solutions these days.

    Who can really believe that resurecting a product that was sold 20
    years ago will actually be commercially successful.

    Someone mentioned earlier that customers will be will willing to pay
    twice more for a vintage calculator compare to a new one.
    Sure, but how many people ?

    It cost millions to make a calculator, so unless you have hundreds of
    thousand customers it's just not going to work today

    > And my most used emulator: A HP 16c. Now if only I would have know at
    > the time I would have got one (current eBay prices are just sky high).
    > Domain specific calculators (like the voyagers) is the way to go.

    Problem is: you are part of those 100 people HP is now targeting. So of
    course you see the advantage in HP doing so.