Can't Install XP on Compaq Notebook - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Can't Install XP on Compaq Notebook - Hewlett Packard ; This is sort of a hardware and software question. I have a Compaq A900 laptop with Vista Home. I backed up my system with Paragon Drive Backup. I then wiped the hard drive clean and tried to install Windows XP ...

  1. Can't Install XP on Compaq Notebook

    This is sort of a hardware and software question. I have a Compaq A900
    laptop with Vista Home. I backed up my system with Paragon Drive
    Backup. I then wiped the hard drive clean and tried to install Windows
    XP pro (SP2). XP couldn't find the Western Digital 160 gigabyte SATA
    hard drive. So I restored the Vista using Paragon Recovery.

    Does anyone know why can't XP find the disk? This surprised me because
    XP recognized the serial ATA disks of my desktop. Is there a bios
    setting that I could tweak that might expose the disk to the Windows
    installer?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Can't Install XP on Compaq Notebook

    " ...you can look for drivers on the HP website. "

    While you're there , make note of ALL of your drivers for your model / XP
    and save to a CD - you'll need them during the install and will be handy
    to have it on CD. When done copy them all to a XPDRIVERS folder on the
    disk drive.

    "joe" wrote in message news:gcsoi3$4l7$1@aioe.org...
    > Don wrote:
    >
    >> This is sort of a hardware and software question. I have a Compaq A900
    >> laptop with Vista Home. I backed up my system with Paragon Drive
    >> Backup. I then wiped the hard drive clean and tried to install Windows
    >> XP pro (SP2). XP couldn't find the Western Digital 160 gigabyte SATA
    >> hard drive. So I restored the Vista using Paragon Recovery.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know why can't XP find the disk? This surprised me because
    >> XP recognized the serial ATA disks of my desktop. Is there a bios
    >> setting that I could tweak that might expose the disk to the Windows
    >> installer?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > A900 is a family of notebooks. You need to refer to the specific name to
    > get
    > a proper answer. That is a name like A905TU. There is also a product
    > number
    > the looks like KG574PA. This may be on a sticker on the bottom of the
    > notebook.
    >
    > Anyway, with the right identifier for the notebook, you can look for
    > drivers
    > on the HP website.
    >
    > The SATA drive for Intel chipsets is the Intel Matrix Storage Manager.
    > One
    > can be found here.
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...roduct=3645584
    >
    > You can also find it on the Intel website.
    > http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...ProductID=2101
    >
    > If your systems does not have an Intel chipset, then you'll need to find
    > the
    > correct driver.
    >
    > There is some related information on the Intel site.
    > http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets...storage_sb.htm

  3. Re: Can't Install XP on Compaq Notebook

    Don wrote:

    > This is sort of a hardware and software question. I have a Compaq A900
    > laptop with Vista Home. I backed up my system with Paragon Drive
    > Backup. I then wiped the hard drive clean and tried to install Windows
    > XP pro (SP2). XP couldn't find the Western Digital 160 gigabyte SATA
    > hard drive. So I restored the Vista using Paragon Recovery.
    >
    > Does anyone know why can't XP find the disk? This surprised me because
    > XP recognized the serial ATA disks of my desktop. Is there a bios
    > setting that I could tweak that might expose the disk to the Windows
    > installer?
    >
    > Thanks

    A900 is a family of notebooks. You need to refer to the specific name to get
    a proper answer. That is a name like A905TU. There is also a product number
    the looks like KG574PA. This may be on a sticker on the bottom of the
    notebook.

    Anyway, with the right identifier for the notebook, you can look for drivers
    on the HP website.

    The SATA drive for Intel chipsets is the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. One
    can be found here.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...roduct=3645584

    You can also find it on the Intel website.
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...ProductID=2101

    If your systems does not have an Intel chipset, then you'll need to find the
    correct driver.

    There is some related information on the Intel site.
    http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets...storage_sb.htm

  4. Re: Can't Install XP on Compaq Notebook

    "Don" wrote in message
    news:6lfauqFc47ekU1@mid.individual.net... wrote:
    >>> This is sort of a hardware and software question. I have a Compaq
    >>> A900
    >>> laptop with Vista Home. I backed up my system with Paragon Drive
    >>> Backup. I then wiped the hard drive clean and tried to install
    >>> Windows
    >>> XP pro (SP2). XP couldn't find the Western Digital 160 gigabyte SATA
    >>> hard drive. So I restored the Vista using Paragon Recovery.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know why can't XP find the disk? This surprised me
    >>> because
    >>> XP recognized the serial ATA disks of my desktop. Is there a bios
    >>> setting that I could tweak that might expose the disk to the Windows
    >>> installer?

    1. www.hp.com
    SEARCH for " A940CA "
    returns

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...oduct=3752574&

    2. Select
    Software & Driver downloads

    Then choose:
    3. " Select your operating system " page. Although nowhere else on
    website it mentions XP, HERE is where to select XP to get the software
    that THEY support.

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...roduct=3752574

    Displays the list:

    The following software and drivers are compatible with your product
    and the operating system Microsoft Windows XP

    Driver - Storage
    =======
    Intel Matrix Storage Manager 12-20077.8.0.1012 C
    Version: 20.53M

    Filename : sp38088.exe, (1/1 , 20.53M)

    This package contains the Intel Matrix Storage Manager for the supported
    notebook models and operating systems. It is used to install or update the
    Intel Serial ATA (SATA) Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI)
    Controller Driver.
    =========
    Maybe this is your issue:

    If you are NOT familiar with installing new OS on a non-native disk type
    When you boot the XP CD - shortly after startup screen, you will see a
    screen showing

    "Press F6 if you need to install ... driver"

    YOU NEED TO PRESS F6 and then browse to the folder where you have saved
    the downloaded file
    XP will find it, install it , see the drive, continue the install.

    Run the program to install it.

    Installation Instructions
    1. Download the SoftPaq .EXE file to a directory on your hard drive.

    2. Execute the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

    NOTE: The files needed at the F6 stage of the operating system
    installation can be located at: c:\swsetup\SP38088\files

  5. Re: Can't Install XP on Compaq Notebook

    joe wrote:
    > Don wrote:
    >
    >> This is sort of a hardware and software question. I have a Compaq A900
    >> laptop with Vista Home. I backed up my system with Paragon Drive
    >> Backup. I then wiped the hard drive clean and tried to install Windows
    >> XP pro (SP2). XP couldn't find the Western Digital 160 gigabyte SATA
    >> hard drive. So I restored the Vista using Paragon Recovery.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know why can't XP find the disk? This surprised me because
    >> XP recognized the serial ATA disks of my desktop. Is there a bios
    >> setting that I could tweak that might expose the disk to the Windows
    >> installer?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > A900 is a family of notebooks. You need to refer to the specific name to get
    > a proper answer. That is a name like A905TU. There is also a product number
    > the looks like KG574PA. This may be on a sticker on the bottom of the
    > notebook.
    >
    > Anyway, with the right identifier for the notebook, you can look for drivers
    > on the HP website.
    >
    > The SATA drive for Intel chipsets is the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. One
    > can be found here.
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...roduct=3645584
    >
    > You can also find it on the Intel website.
    > http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...ProductID=2101
    >
    > If your systems does not have an Intel chipset, then you'll need to find the
    > correct driver.
    >
    > There is some related information on the Intel site.
    > http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets...storage_sb.htm

    The model is an A940ca and the product key is a rather long hyphenated
    series of letters and numbers which would be rather pointless to post here.

  6. Re: Can't Install XP on Compaq Notebook

    "Don" wrote in message
    > joe wrote:
    >> Don wrote:
    >>
    >>> This is sort of a hardware and software question. I have a Compaq A900
    >>> laptop with Vista Home. I backed up my system with Paragon Drive
    >>> Backup. I then wiped the hard drive clean and tried to install Windows
    >>> XP pro (SP2). XP couldn't find the Western Digital 160 gigabyte SATA
    >>> hard drive. So I restored the Vista using Paragon Recovery.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know why can't XP find the disk? This surprised me because
    >>> XP recognized the serial ATA disks of my desktop. Is there a bios
    >>> setting that I could tweak that might expose the disk to the Windows
    >>> installer?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> A900 is a family of notebooks. You need to refer to the specific name to
    >> get
    >> a proper answer. That is a name like A905TU. There is also a product
    >> number
    >> the looks like KG574PA. This may be on a sticker on the bottom of the
    >> notebook.
    >>
    >> Anyway, with the right identifier for the notebook, you can look for
    >> drivers
    >> on the HP website.
    >>
    >> The SATA drive for Intel chipsets is the Intel Matrix Storage Manager.
    >> One
    >> can be found here.
    >> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...roduct=3645584
    >>
    >> You can also find it on the Intel website.
    >> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...ProductID=2101
    >>
    >> If your systems does not have an Intel chipset, then you'll need to find
    >> the
    >> correct driver.
    >>
    >> There is some related information on the Intel site.
    >> http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets...storage_sb.htm
    >>

    > The model is an A940ca and the product key is a rather long hyphenated
    > series of letters and numbers which would be rather pointless to post
    > here.

    See if this web site can help you get started for a search for such drivers:

    http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

    You'll probably need to enter the computer's model number in the
    box starting with "for product:".

  7. Re: Can't Install XP on Compaq Notebook

    Don wrote:
    > This is sort of a hardware and software question. I have a Compaq A900
    > laptop with Vista Home. I backed up my system with Paragon Drive
    > Backup. I then wiped the hard drive clean and tried to install Windows
    > XP pro (SP2). XP couldn't find the Western Digital 160 gigabyte SATA
    > hard drive. So I restored the Vista using Paragon Recovery.
    >
    > Does anyone know why can't XP find the disk? This surprised me because
    > XP recognized the serial ATA disks of my desktop. Is there a bios
    > setting that I could tweak that might expose the disk to the Windows
    > installer?
    >
    > Thanks

    A couple of comments here:

    1. Unlike others, I will not suggest looking for XP drivers on the HP
    web site, unless you know for sure that HP actually shipped your model
    with XP (very doubtful).

    2. Are you 100% sure that you have XP Pro with SP2? SP2 contains
    slipstreamed additions to support SATA, unlike the earlier versions.

    3. To find XP drivers for your laptop, you will need to determine the
    chipsets on its motherboard. For Intel chipsets, the Intel web site has
    XP drivers for all 800-series, 900-series, and most newer motherboard
    and video chipsets.

    4. I, too, am a bit confused about the exact model of your laptop. It
    is some sort of Presario A900 model? Please give specific model.

    .... Ben Myers

  8. Re: Can't Install XP on Compaq Notebook

    What only you have to do is that since microsoft hasn't included the SATA
    drivers in XP the installer cannot access your Hard drive, you have to patch
    up the driver for SATA drive. Get it from HP website or elsewhere. Now you
    have to patch those installation drivers files, most probably the .inf and
    others files using nLite software. You can get one searching from google.
    There at first you have to create an image of the windows xp installation
    CD and work on it in nLite. then you have to burn the modified image on a
    new CD.
    > This is sort of a hardware and software question. I have a Compaq A900
    > laptop with Vista Home. I backed up my system with Paragon Drive Backup.
    > I then wiped the hard drive clean and tried to install Windows XP pro
    > (SP2). XP couldn't find the Western Digital 160 gigabyte SATA hard drive.
    > So I restored the Vista using Paragon Recovery.
    >
    > Does anyone know why can't XP find the disk? This surprised me because XP
    > recognized the serial ATA disks of my desktop. Is there a bios setting
    > that I could tweak that might expose the disk to the Windows installer?
    >
    > Thanks

    -- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to news@netfront.net --

+ Reply to Thread