Telzy the 917LX has given up the ghost... - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Telzy the 917LX has given up the ghost... - Hewlett Packard ; Wow - what a blast the past couple weeks have been. I have fallen in love with this little HP3K. I've been coming home from work and playing with, learning and having a grand old time. Even running RPG programs ...

  1. Telzy the 917LX has given up the ghost...

    Wow - what a blast the past couple weeks have been. I have fallen in
    love with this little HP3K.
    I've been coming home from work and playing with, learning and having
    a grand old time.
    Even running RPG programs on it. Great fun!

    Unfortunately, due to unforseen hardware problems, I now have no HP3K
    to play with...
    I only had 12 days to enjoy this wonderful machine.

    A small metal part was stessed during the time it was being shipped to
    me. The stress was not quite enough to break it off, but only just. It
    *almost* separated during shipping. The heat of being turned on pretty
    much continuously here caused this part to come loose.

    With it loose in there, strange things began to happen, and then I
    went to reseat the cards in the hope that would elminiate the
    problem... oh pooh.

    I didn't see the little bugger and when I applied power - most of the
    magic smoke escaped.

    More seriously, there appears to be significant electrical damage to
    the SCSI and Ethernet parts of the main I/O card, and it also blew a
    Fast/Wide SCSI adapter in there. Incidentally, it took out a storage
    controller on a small disk array too!

    The poor valiant machine had the heart to go on, but it just didn't
    survive the rough ride with UPS. It has died before its time- at the
    valiant young age of 17. Far too young indeed!

    So- if anyone out there has a machine they are looking to sell... I am
    in the market. Doesn't need to be fast, powerful, or even particularly
    good looking.

    Yours,
    -Paul

  2. Re: Telzy the 917LX has given up the ghost...

    I have a nice HP937 that needs a good home... I do have some work to
    do on it to get it back in tiptop shape though.

    If anyone is interested in it please let me know... The system weighs
    over 100lbs and whoever buys it must also pay for shipping.

    On 10/10/08, Robert Mills wrote:
    > Paul,
    >
    > My condolences to you on your loss....
    >
    > Some lower-end boxes do appear on eBay from time to time so that is be
    > one place you should look.
    >

    > regards,
    >
    > Robert W.Mills
    > Business Systems Development Analyst
    > Group Information Systems & Technology
    > Pinnacle Entertainment
    > DDI: +44 (0)20 8309 3604

  3. Re: Telzy the 917LX has given up the ghost...

    20650

    On 10/10/08, Bahrs, Art wrote:
    > Hi John
    > This begs the question "What zip code you be in?"
    >
    > Art
    >

    > Art Bahrs, CISSP
    > Security Engineer
    > Providence Health & Services
    > Arthur.Bahrs@Providence.org
    > Phone: 503-216-2722

  4. Re: Telzy the 917LX has given up the ghost...

    Hey Joseph- I'm not sure my mail was transmitting today. Just send me
    what you think would be an acceptable price, and if I can meet it, you
    have a sale. I cannot believe how much I like this little machine.
    (*sigh*)

    I've been working on him, and got it up to the point where it will say
    "Canont find ENTRY_INIT" - unfortunately, that is also true of the
    tape drive.

    I feel like someone took away my Christmas.

    Yours,
    -Paul

    On Oct 10, 2008, at 11:09 AM, joseph dolliver wrote:

    > 20650
    >
    > On 10/10/08, Bahrs, Art wrote:
    >> Hi John
    >> This begs the question "What zip code you be in?"
    >>
    >> Art
    >>

    >> Art Bahrs, CISSP
    >> Security Engineer
    >> Providence Health & Services
    >> Arthur.Bahrs@Providence.org
    >> Phone: 503-216-2722

  5. Re: Telzy the 917LX has given up the ghost...

    Paul Raulerson asks:
    > I've been working on him, and got it up to the point where it
    > will say "Canont find ENTRY_INIT" - unfortunately, that is also
    > true of the tape drive.

    Did the SCSI terminator fall off the back?

    Tracy Johnson
    Measurement Specialties, Inc.

    BT

    NNNN

  6. Re: Telzy the 917LX has given up the ghost...

    There is supposed to be a SCSI terminator on the back?

    There is only a SCSI-2 port there. The TERMPower and Self Test lights
    for the SCSI port are dark.
    I just slipped an external tape drive on the power with a terminator
    on it, with no joy.

    -Paul

    On Oct 11, 2008, at 4:27 PM, Johnson, Tracy wrote:

    > Paul Raulerson asks:
    >> I've been working on him, and got it up to the point where it
    >> will say "Canont find ENTRY_INIT" - unfortunately, that is also
    >> true of the tape drive.

    > Did the SCSI terminator fall off the back?
    >
    > Tracy Johnson
    > Measurement Specialties, Inc.
    >
    > BT
    >

    > NNNN

  7. Re: Telzy the 917LX has given up the ghost...

    Yes! On the multi-function I/O card at the top.

    There should be a Single-Ended SCSI terminator, not Fast-Wide.

    It uses the same path as any internal drives you may have, which is why
    it must be terminated.

    And any external devices should not have the same SCSI address as
    anything internal of course.

    Tracy Johnson
    Business Analyst
    Measurement Specialties, Inc.