OT: Computing ties - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on OT: Computing ties - Hewlett Packard ; Hello List, Somewhat off-topic, although this question relates to a program running on our HP3000. At the end of each "cat show year", we add up all the 'points' a cat has received, and give out awards. When there's a ...

  1. OT: Computing ties

    Hello List,
    Somewhat off-topic, although this question relates to a program
    running on our HP3000.

    At the end of each "cat show year", we add up all the 'points' a cat
    has received, and give out awards. When there's a tie (point values
    are equal), we give both cats the award. The question involves the
    placement.

    Scenario: We are giving out 25 awards. If, for instance, there is a
    tie at 4th place, is the next place considered '5th' or '6th'? In
    terms of point value, we've always considered it 5th, and we award up
    to 24th place, for a total of 25 awards. If the tie occurs at the
    last place, both cats are considered 25th, and there is actually a
    total of 26 awards given. However - someone here says we should be
    giving 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 6th, 7th... to 25th.

    I've tried to find a math site that could shed some light, but no
    luck. Appreciate your input.

    Connie Sellitto
    Programmer/Analyst
    Cat Fanciers' Association, Inc.
    732-528-9797 ext 18
    Email: cds@cfa.org

  2. Re: Computing ties

    3 first places? next one's 4th place. etc.
    1
    2 tied with 1
    3 tied with 1
    4
    5
    the 4th best cat is still the 4th best cat, no matter how you skin it.

  3. Re: Computing ties

    left out a bit: best to wait until the end of the contest to make the trophies - if you have ties for 25th place, you're going to give more than 25 awards.

  4. Re: Computing ties

    Tracy Pierce writes:

    > 3 first places? next one's 4th place. etc.
    > 1
    > 2 tied with 1
    > 3 tied with 1
    > 4
    > 5
    > the 4th best cat is still the 4th best cat, no matter how you skin it.

    This isn't in reference to Yesterday's Peruvian cat eating festival is
    it?

    Tracy Johnson
    Business Analyst
    Measurement Specialties, Inc.
    1000 Lucas Way
    Hampton, VA 23666
    Office 1-757-766-4318
    tracy.johnson@meas-spec.com
    www.meas-spec.com

  5. HPUX 3rd Party ?

    I signed up for the 9000L site and didn't find anything in the archives
    for this, so thought perhaps someone here had info on an HPUX 3rd party
    spooler product called OpenSpool by OpenSet.

    We have a problem with licensing the software on another box so we can
    configure it; it runs fine, but can't add or delete printers.

    Anyone here ever heard of the product or know who might be handling it
    now?

    TIA!

    Jack Connor

  6. Re: OT: Computing ties

    Thanks to all who responded. CFA's policy is to extend the number of
    awards if, and only if, the tie occurs at the final place. The main
    issue was what to call the placements beyond where the tie occurred.
    It seems the consensus - rightly - is if there's a tie at 3rd place,
    the next lower value should be given 5th place, not 4th.

    Have a great weekend!