Craig Fairchild posted the note from Ross McDonald HP e3000 Lab Director,
in which he draws our attention to the HP e3000 Customer Communication at
http://www.hp.com/go/e3000. While reading through this communication, a
couple of questions came to mind :

In the FAQ section, under answer 2 : it says "Customers can continue to
access expert HP technical resources via telephone, electronic
communication or fax (where available) for assistance in resolving software
implementation or operations problems. Complex problem isolation,
application of available solutions or workaround will continue to be
provided. Under MPS w/o SE, HP will no longer provide Software Update
Service (SUS). No new releases, new PowerPatches, replacement products, or
patches, including patches for newly discovered security vulnerabilities,
will be provided"

The question is: If HP is not going to provide any more updates or patches
etc, Who will? Presumably OpenMPE can answer this question specifically now
as surely it can't be under an NDA?

Qusetion 5 asks : Is HP considering extending MPE/iX support beyond
December 31, 2010?

The answer is : HP does not foresee HP e3000 end-of-support dates being
extended beyond 2010 and Customers should plan their migrations
accordingly. Any future considerations will be a based on Customer demand
and HPs ability to deliver high quality support.

Obviously, "high quality support" is rapidly becoming a thing of the past
(if it hasn't already done so) . See my next comment.

Question 12 asks : If I need more than MPS w/o SE, what can I do?

The answer is: HP encourages customers with mission critical support needs
and more complex migration issues to discuss them directly with HP or their
HP e3000 solution provider. HP will work with individual Customers who
cannot complete their transitions by the end of 2008 to explore structuring
a Customer-specific support package to help address these support needs for
a limited time while transitions to another HP platform are completed.

A better answer would be "Investigate all third party support offerings to
determine which one best meets your support needs".

I know there are no surprises here. We have been warned about the demise of
the patching and updating process. However, I would like to know what
alternatives will be available when HP finally washes its hands of the
HP3000. Does anyone have any idea?

Cheers,

John Dunlop