Re: RISE/SigEdit - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: RISE/SigEdit - Hewlett Packard ; Paul: The reason I ask what version of the OS your system is on is because the 9x7's won't run 7.0 or 7.5, and I wouldn't want to send a version that might crash your system. Your 917 should be ...

  1. Re: RISE/SigEdit

    Paul:

    The reason I ask what version of the OS your system is on is because the
    9x7's won't run 7.0 or 7.5, and I wouldn't want to send a version that might
    crash your system.

    Your 917 should be on 6.0 or 6.5, even possibly 5.0 or 5.5.

  2. Re: RISE/SigEdit

    It's on 6.0 Matt. I wouldn't mind trying 'em to see if they would
    work. I doubt it would crash, seems pretty immune to anything short of
    hardware failures.

    Here's the compiler version from the top of a listing:
    PAGE 0001 HEWLETT PACKARD 32104A.08.06 RPG/V (C) HEWLETT-
    PACKARD CO 1988 THU, OCT 9, 2008, 8:18 AM

    Yours,
    -Paul

    On Oct 9, 2008, at 2:33 AM, Matthew Perdue wrote:

    > Paul:
    >
    > The reason I ask what version of the OS your system is on is because
    > the
    > 9x7's won't run 7.0 or 7.5, and I wouldn't want to send a version
    > that might
    > crash your system.
    >
    > Your 917 should be on 6.0 or 6.5, even possibly 5.0 or 5.5.

  3. Re: RISE/SigEdit

    --- On Thu, 10/9/08, Matthew Perdue wrote:

    > The reason I ask what version of the OS your system is on
    > is because the 9x7's won't run 7.0 or 7.5, and I wouldn't want
    > to send a version that might crash your system.
    >
    > Your 917 should be on 6.0 or 6.5, even possibly 5.0 or 5.5.

    Matthew,

    Unless I am mistaken as I already was, RPG was never updated to native mode.

    So I doubt there are any differences.

    Do you have a native mode RPG compilier?

    -Craig

  4. Re: RISE/SigEdit

    At 10:43 AM 09/10/2008, Craig Lalley wrote:
    Craig,

    Nope. RPG is available in Native Mode.

    RPG PROG 128W FB 664 664 1 672 1 1
    RPGCAT MGCAT 128W FB 271 271 1 272 1 31
    RPGCOPY PROG 128W FB 134 134 1 144 1 1
    RPGINIT PROG 128W FB 49 49 1 64 1 1
    RPGXL 80B FA 38 38 3 16 1 1
    RPGXLC NMPRG 128W FB 7424 7424 1 7424 1 8
    RPGXLGO 80B FA 39 39 3 16 1 1
    RPGXLLK

    My HP3000 career started converting IBM RPG to HP 3000 RPG, that was
    25 years ago. I used to love RPG.

    Neil

    >Matthew,
    >
    >Unless I am mistaken as I already was, RPG was never updated to native mode.
    >
    >So I doubt there are any differences.
    >
    >Do you have a native mode RPG compilier?
    >
    >-Craig

  5. Re: RISE/SigEdit

    RPG wow --learned it in College, used it on Sperry Univac OS6 on a 90/30,
    IBM System 34 and HP3000.... If I remember correctly Rise was a program that
    used Formspec to display the different RPG forms I/O, extension,
    calculation, output etc (remember RPG coding sheets). The user could then
    fill in the appropriate form to create the source code file that you could
    then compile with RPG compiler. But I always found Edit/3000 easier to use
    on RPG programs. I remember writing some very complex programs in RPG not
    just reports. Once a complete financial modeling package. Today you could do
    it all in Excel.

    Thanks for making me feel old... no... actually it was my 50th birthday last
    month that did that.

    Gary Nolan

    At 10:43 AM 09/10/2008, Craig Lalley wrote:
    Craig,

    Nope. RPG is available in Native Mode.

    RPG PROG 128W FB 664 664 1 672 1 1
    RPGCAT MGCAT 128W FB 271 271 1 272 1 31
    RPGCOPY PROG 128W FB 134 134 1 144 1 1
    RPGINIT PROG 128W FB 49 49 1 64 1 1
    RPGXL 80B FA 38 38 3 16 1 1
    RPGXLC NMPRG 128W FB 7424 7424 1 7424 1 8
    RPGXLGO 80B FA 39 39 3 16 1 1
    RPGXLLK

    My HP3000 career started converting IBM RPG to HP 3000 RPG, that was
    25 years ago. I used to love RPG.

    Neil

    >Matthew,
    >
    >Unless I am mistaken as I already was, RPG was never updated to native

    mode.

    >So I doubt there are any differences.
    >
    >Do you have a native mode RPG compilier?
    >
    >-Craig

    http://www.eset.com

  6. Re: RISE/SigEdit

    At 05:42 PM 09/10/2008, Gary Nolan wrote:
    Gary,

    Yep that is what I remember from Rise as well, and like you I found
    it too slow. I wrote
    a couple payroll systems, AP/AR/GL, some inventory programs and a
    slew of other
    things. I learned RPG at 16 or 17, so I don't consider myself old.

    I always felt that when you tried to write the more complex stuff in RPG that
    it became faster and easier to write in Cobol, although I think I did
    try RPG with
    VPLUS once or twice.

    Neil
    >RPG wow --learned it in College, used it on Sperry Univac OS6 on a 90/30,
    >IBM System 34 and HP3000.... If I remember correctly Rise was a program that
    >used Formspec to display the different RPG forms I/O, extension,
    >calculation, output etc (remember RPG coding sheets). The user could then
    >fill in the appropriate form to create the source code file that you could
    >then compile with RPG compiler. But I always found Edit/3000 easier to use
    >on RPG programs. I remember writing some very complex programs in RPG not
    >just reports. Once a complete financial modeling package. Today you could do
    >it all in Excel.
    >
    >Thanks for making me feel old... no... actually it was my 50th birthday last
    >month that did that.
    >
    >Gary Nolan

  7. Re: RISE/SigEdit

    Snort - don't feel old. We are the same age in fact.
    I really love RPG, it is a really good language, and with the extensions
    that are in these days, extremely powerful for applications.

    It isn't a system programming language though.

    -Paul

    On Oct 9, 2008, at 4:42 PM, Gary Nolan wrote:

    > RPG wow --learned it in College, used it on Sperry Univac OS6 on a
    > 90/30,
    > IBM System 34 and HP3000.... If I remember correctly Rise was a
    > program that
    > used Formspec to display the different RPG forms I/O, extension,
    > calculation, output etc (remember RPG coding sheets). The user
    > could then
    > fill in the appropriate form to create the source code file that you
    > could
    > then compile with RPG compiler. But I always found Edit/3000 easier
    > to use
    > on RPG programs. I remember writing some very complex programs in
    > RPG not
    > just reports. Once a complete financial modeling package. Today you
    > could do
    > it all in Excel.
    >
    > Thanks for making me feel old... no... actually it was my 50th
    > birthday last
    > month that did that.
    >
    > Gary Nolan

  8. Re: RISE/SigEdit

    First started programming in RPG on a Series III back in January 1980.
    Once you got to fully understand the program cycle it was a easy to code
    in.

    Never used RISE as we found some Edit/3000 USE files and an Edit/3000
    Customizing SL (contained HP32201'USERxxx procedures specially for RPG)
    on a CSL Swap Tape that worked for us. Only binned the tape (600 ft
    reel-2-reel) a few weeks ago.

    In my 4 years programming with RPG, I must have converted 100's of batch
    programs that ran on IBM Sys/3 to the HP (some of them were even
    enhanced to use VPLUS).

    50's only OLD if you think OLD. I'm now 54 years YOUNG and am still
    having fun with life. I have spent 28 years in programming and am still
    learning new things (Java, Oracle PL/SQL, Unix korn shell scripting,
    etc.)

    regards,

    Robert W.Mills
    Business Systems Development Analyst