more battery drain - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on more battery drain - Hewlett Packard ; Hello, Again my HP50g's batteries are drained. I put in 4 rechargable AAAs, three of which hold a charge of 850mAh and one of over 1000mAh (measured by my charger). I used it for maybe 2 weeks and not often, ...

  1. more battery drain

    Hello,

    Again my HP50g's batteries are drained. I put in 4 rechargable AAAs,
    three of which hold a charge of 850mAh and one of over 1000mAh
    (measured by my charger). I used it for maybe 2 weeks and not often,
    maybe a total of 2 hours, doing only simple calculations.

    Any ideas? Could it be the little flat battery that's low? Do I have
    some kind of server or so enabled? This is getting really
    frustrating...

    Thanks!

    Christoph

  2. Re: more battery drain

    On Oct 7, 2:42*pm, Christoph Koehler
    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Again my HP50g's batteries are drained. I put in 4 rechargable AAAs,
    > three of which hold a charge of 850mAh and one of over 1000mAh
    > (measured by my charger). I used it for maybe 2 weeks and not often,
    > maybe a total of 2 hours, doing only simple calculations.
    >
    > Any ideas? Could it be the little flat battery that's low? Do I have
    > some kind of server or so enabled? This is getting really
    > frustrating...
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Christoph

    I'm not sure what's going on, but a few things come to mind:

    1. When the calculator is idling, it consumes less power than if, say,
    you have a blinking cursor. So if you like to enter things, pause a
    bit, look for the numbers to use, then finish typing, this might take
    more batteries.

    2. Your IrDA is on. Use CLOSEIO to shut that off.

    3. Is it bad if you are using rechargable batteries of different
    capacities? If you can, try using four cells with the same current
    capacity (i.e. all 850 mAh).

    As for the backup battery, read this thread:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....b2675488dadafd

    Also check out this one:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....dc1608dbb48d7b

    You might also try loading a battery monitor program from hpcalc.org
    to see how your calculator is doing with the batteries. However, Ni-MH
    cells tend to stay flat (voltage-wise) during usage and only plummet
    when very near the end if its recharge cycle. This makes battery
    monitoring a bit more tricky.

    When you said that your 50g's batteries are drained, did you mean that
    the "low battery" annuciator turned on, or that the batteries were
    actually so low that the calculator itself would no longer turn on?

    S.C.

  3. Re: more battery drain

    * Christoph Koehler:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Again my HP50g's batteries are drained. I put in 4 rechargable AAAs,
    > three of which hold a charge of 850mAh and one of over 1000mAh
    > (measured by my charger).

    Don't mix and match batteries, on any device.

    > I used it for maybe 2 weeks and not often, maybe a total of 2 hours, doing
    > only simple calculations.

    I've seen cheap NiMH batteries which completely drain themselves due to
    self discharge within this timeframe.

    --
    Martijn van Buul - pino@dohd.org

  4. Re: more battery drain

    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Again my HP50g's batteries are drained. I put in 4 rechargable AAAs,
    > three of which hold a charge of 850mAh and one of over 1000mAh
    > (measured by my charger). I used it for maybe 2 weeks and not often,
    > maybe a total of 2 hours, doing only simple calculations.
    >
    > Any ideas? Could it be the little flat battery that's low? Do I have
    > some kind of server or so enabled? This is getting really
    > frustrating...

    Do you mean the calculator won't turn on, or that you're getting the
    low battery warning? If the calculator ceases operation, then it's
    certainly a bad battery. But, I'm guessing you mean you're getting
    the low battery indicator. The low battery warning is based solely on
    voltage, and is the voltage where a alkaline cell will be near the end
    of it's life. This usually works fine for ni-mh cells (which have a
    lower nominal voltage) but maybe yours are hitting that voltage early
    for some reason, and aren't anywhere near depleted.

    Good luck,
    -Jonathan

  5. Re: more battery drain

    Hey guys,

    Quick reply before I have to get going.

    They are the same battery set, and they are actually pretty good
    quality. It just so happens that one of them has a higher capacity, so
    no mixing and matching. They are all 4 rated for 850mAh.
    The low battery indicator came on first, and I could do a few
    calculations, but when I turned it on a few hours of not using it
    later, it wouldn't even stay on.

    I will check on the IrDA. Would that remain on through battery
    changes? I assume so.

    Thanks!

    Christoph

  6. Re: more battery drain

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 12:10:09 -0500, Christoph Koehler wrote:

    > I will check on the IrDA. Would that remain on through battery changes?

    Isn't OFF supposed to automatically include CLOSEIO?

    Shouldn't removing a battery without turning OFF also turn itself off anyway?
    (IIRC, battery removal can even substitute for a reset, such as during ROM update)

    -[ ]-

  7. Re: more battery drain

    On Oct 8, 12:10*pm, Christoph Koehler
    wrote:
    > Hey guys,
    >
    > Quick reply before I have to get going.
    >
    > They are the same battery set, and they are actually pretty good
    > quality. It just so happens that one of them has a higher capacity, so
    > no mixing and matching. They are all 4 rated for 850mAh.
    > The low battery indicator came on first, and I could do a few
    > calculations, but when I turned it on a few hours of not using it
    > later, it wouldn't even stay on.
    >
    > I will check on the IrDA. Would that remain on through battery
    > changes? I assume so.

    If you have a multimeter, maybe you can measure the voltage of the
    batteries when they're freshly charged, at the low battery warning,
    and then when it won't turn on any more. That should give us a good
    idea of what's going on.

    You can also make an electric current measurement (remember the meter
    goes in series with the batteries, not in parallel). You can compare
    your measurement to measurements made by Eric Rechlin in his August
    17, 2007 message to this forum:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....53072a?lnk=gst

    Good luck,
    -Jonathan

  8. Re: more battery drain

    As a follow up, it seems my AAAs increased in capacity even more on
    the next charge, so it may be reasonable to assume that my batteries
    just weren't broken in quite yet. They were pretty new to begin with.

+ Reply to Thread