14 years awaiting! - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on 14 years awaiting! - Hewlett Packard ; I am awaiting for 14 years an HP calculator with color LCD. Nowadays color LCDs are found in everywhare. Even a 12 years old boy can have a cell phone with color LCD. HP seems to have the technology to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

  1. 14 years awaiting!

    I am awaiting for 14 years an HP calculator with color LCD.

    Nowadays color LCDs are found in everywhare. Even a 12 years old boy
    can have a cell phone with color LCD. HP seems to have the technology
    to make digital webcams with color LCDs.

    But I ask myself and to anyone here,
    why it was not already done?

    Carlos - HP48 user sinde 1994
    www.area48.com

  2. Re: 14 years awaiting!

    On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 22:16:22 -0700 (PDT), areaseg2@gmail.com wrote:

    >I am awaiting for 14 years an HP calculator with color LCD.
    >
    >Nowadays color LCDs are found in everywhare. Even a 12 years old boy
    >can have a cell phone with color LCD. HP seems to have the technology
    >to make digital webcams with color LCDs.
    >
    >But I ask myself and to anyone here,
    >why it was not already done?

    Because is not needed

    A.L.

  3. Re: 14 years awaiting!

    Just buy the iPhone calculator application
    Everyone else is outdated: Apple rules!

    wrote in message
    >I am awaiting for 14 years an HP calculator with color LCD.
    >
    > Nowadays color LCDs are found in everywhare. Even a 12 years old boy
    > can have a cell phone with color LCD. HP seems to have the technology
    > to make digital webcams with color LCDs.
    >
    > But I ask myself and to anyone here,
    > why it was not already done?
    >

    > Carlos - HP48 user sinde 1994
    > www.area48.com

  4. Re: 14 years awaiting!

    On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 22:16:22 -0700 (PDT), areaseg2@gmail.com wrote:

    >I am awaiting for 14 years an HP calculator with color LCD.
    >
    >Nowadays color LCDs are found in everywhare. Even a 12 years old boy
    >can have a cell phone with color LCD. HP seems to have the technology
    >to make digital webcams with color LCDs.

    How they can make color if they cannot do b&w display right? All HP
    displays are extremely ugly, with HP 33 on the top of the list. HP 33
    display made this calculator not useable. HP 35 has similarly ugly
    display, although is not that bad as HP 33. HP 50 display is ugly,
    too.

    The only acceptable display is HP 12 and HP 17bII+.

    Maybe HP could send somebody for training to Casio or Texas.

    A.L.

  5. Re: 14 years awaiting!

    There is an old saying: "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". You're
    just not the right beholder looking at HP Calculators

    > How they can make color if they cannot do b&w display right? All HP
    > displays are extremely ugly

  6. Re: 14 years awaiting!

    On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 15:47:24 -0700 (PDT), jdoliva@gmail.com wrote:

    >There is an old saying: "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". You're
    >just not the right beholder looking at HP Calculators

    Yes. **** wrapped in silver foil is chocolate

    A.L.

  7. Re: 14 years awaiting!

    On Oct 5, 3:26*pm, A.L. wrote:
    > How they can make color if they cannot do b&w display right? All HP
    > displays are extremely ugly, with HP 33 on the top of the list. HP 33
    > display made this calculator not useable. HP 35 has similarly ugly
    > display, although is not that bad as HP 33. HP 50 display is ugly,
    > too.
    >
    > The only acceptable display is HP 12 and HP 17bII+.
    >
    > Maybe HP could send somebody for training to Casio or Texas.
    >
    > A.L.

    TI-84 display is good (high contrast, large characters), but TI-89
    display is terrible. Basically it's gray on green with tiny pixels
    because of the high resolution on a physically tiny screen. TI-89
    Titanium key labels are light blue and light green on gray, which is
    pretty low contrast, too.

    HP 33s has a terrible decimal point, as does the 35s. The 35s also
    suffers from the "theta" symbol looking too much like an "8".

    The best displays are the single-line 7-segment LCDs in simple
    scientific calculators. Dot-matrix LCDs in graphing models just cannot
    compare with respect to clarity, contrast, and viewing angle.

    S.C.

  8. Re: 14 years awaiting!

    Thinking about it, the HP calculators LCD's are an amazig thing, even
    when is not color CLD's/TFT/CRT, etc or the lower contrast are really
    bad. When i saw the first HP calc i remember, a HP32SII, i liked the
    nice display structure or form in a lower contrast. My HP49G+ have a
    nice display too, but a better contrast. If i stay in a low luminosity
    conditions, i use my palm HP calc emu.

    Humberto Estrada

  9. Re: 14 years awaiting!

    On Oct 5, 12:26*pm, A.L. wrote:
    > On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 22:16:22 -0700 (PDT), areas...@gmail.com wrote:
    > >I am awaiting for 14 years an HP calculator with color LCD.

    Personally, I don't miss color in a calculator display, and I
    appreciate the trade-off for longer battery life.

    > How they can make color if they cannot do b&w display right? All HP
    > displays are extremely ugly, with HP 33 on the top of the list. HP 33
    > display made this calculator not useable. HP 35 has similarly ugly
    > display, although is not that bad as HP 33. HP 50 display is ugly,
    > too.

    I don't mind the HP50g display. Personal taste. But..

    > Maybe HP could send somebody for training to Casio or Texas.

    TI nSpire. Say what you want about the weird keyboard, and lack of
    professional features, that display is *awesome*!
    ..

    > A.L.

    Regards,
    Howard

  10. Re: 14 years awaiting!

    Hi
    On 2008-10-05 16:16:22 +1100, areaseg2@gmail.com said:

    > I am awaiting for 14 years an HP calculator with color LCD.
    >
    > Nowadays color LCDs are found in everywhare. Even a 12 years old boy
    > can have a cell phone with color LCD. HP seems to have the technology
    > to make digital webcams with color LCDs.
    >
    > But I ask myself and to anyone here,
    > why it was not already done?

    Have you ever seen a coloured LCD device powered by AAA batteries
    lasting for over a month of a single set of batteries.

    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

  11. Re: 14 years awaiting!

    On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 19:43:50 -0700 (PDT), sc_usenet@hotmail.com wrote:

    >HP 33s has a terrible decimal point, as does the 35s. The 35s also
    >suffers from the "theta" symbol looking too much like an "8".
    >
    >The best displays are the single-line 7-segment LCDs in simple
    >scientific calculators. Dot-matrix LCDs in graphing models just cannot
    >compare with respect to clarity, contrast, and viewing angle.
    >
    >S.C.

    OK, check Casio 115 FX, and TI "multi view" editions of their TI-30
    simple, non graphic, non programmable calculators. Check also TI V200
    and compare with HP 50. Check also Casio fx-9860G. If you want to see
    how good display can look like

    Check also 30 years old Sharp EL-5100 and Sharp PC-1211

    I don' think that there is any excuse for HP

    A.L.

  12. Re: 14 years awaiting!

    On Oct 4, 10:16 pm, areas...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am awaiting for 14 years an HP calculator with color LCD.
    >
    > Nowadays color LCDs are found in everywhare. Even a 12 years old boy
    > can have a cell phone with color LCD. HP seems to have the technology
    > to make digital webcams with color LCDs.
    >
    > But I ask myself and to anyone here,
    > why it was not already done?
    >
    > Carlos - HP48 user sinde 1994www.area48.com

    i think that HP has just lost interest in making calculators.
    At the time when the HP28 came out, the lap top computer with
    Mathematica was taking over that niche, For the previous 15 years or
    so, the HP41 was essentially the only programmable, affordable -
    Computer- that was available for the everyman.

    The iPhone and it's coming spawn of handheld devil machines is going
    to be the ultimate solution to this... But the new SpaceTime doesn't
    even vaguely approach the functionality of the HP28 for full spectrum
    programming. ( which is incomprehensible! )
    As soon as someone comes out with a really easy to use, do everything
    programming language for the new cell phones, this argument/problem
    will be over...
    But i don't think that that's going to happen any time soon.
    i think that there is -something else- to this.
    i find it very suspicious that 20 years ago, every computer that you
    bought had a built in, easy to use programming language, and now, you
    can't buy an affordable programming language, and they're getting
    impossible to use. Programming languages are getting harder and harder
    to use, not easier.
    i always thought that the HP48's programming language was the easiest,
    most intuitive language to use, short of plain english.
    But the computer & software manufacturers just don't want everyone to
    have an easy to use programming language, which means that this next
    ( long overdue ) easy to use, fully functional, full color hand held
    calculator will NEVER EVER become available.

  13. Re: 14 years awaiting!

  14. Re: 14 years awaiting!

  15. Re: 14 years awaiting!

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 11:34:54 -0700 (PDT), TranslucentAmoebae
    wrote:

    >But the computer & software manufacturers just don't want everyone to
    >have an easy to use programming language, which means that this next
    >( long overdue ) easy to use, fully functional, full color hand held
    >calculator will NEVER EVER become available.

    Could you please explain why you need calculator with color screen?
    Casop made once and flopped. Nobody needs calculator with color screen

    Regarding languahe, TI and Casio programmable calculators are
    programmed in Basic. Sharp PC-1211 calculator was programmable in
    Basic 30 years ago.

    According to my opinion, the majority of iPhone users have a slight
    brain damage. Your opinion about calculators, color screens, "easy
    language" is confirmation of this theory

    A.L.

  16. Re: 14 years awaiting!

  17. Re: 14 years awaiting!

    Martin Krischik schrieb:

    > sc_usenet@hotmail.com schrieb:
    >
    > > The best displays are the single-line 7-segment LCDs in simple
    > > scientific calculators.

    > HP41?

    The '41 had a 14-segment display.
    And of course it wasn't a "simple scientific calculator". 8-)

    Dieter

  18. Re: 14 years awaiting!

    "Martin Krischik" wrote:
    > TranslucentAmoebae schrieb:
    > > i find it very suspicious that 20 years ago, every computer that you
    > > bought had a built in, easy to use programming language, and now, you
    > > can't buy an affordable programming language, and they're getting
    > > impossible to use.

    > My thinking as well. However: it is only true if you buy the MS-Windows
    > systems. Both Linux and Mac OS X come with several programming languages
    > "out of the box".

    No, it isn't even true for Windows.

    Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 and 2008 Express Editions (with C++, C#, and
    VB.NET versions) are completely free (not Free, but free), and have pretty
    much anything that most individual developers would want. You only need the
    full version if you need add-ins or a few other features that power users
    might want. Microsoft even gives away a free version of SQL Server Express,
    which is sufficiently powerful for most personal databases. They also have
    PowerShell, which is their competitor to the Linux/Unix command shells (yes,
    I know that those who don't understand Unix are doomed to recreate it --
    poorly).

    Plus, you can run GCC and the JDK and Eclipse and other good development
    software on Windows without paying anything. Pretty much any language
    supported by Linux has free versions for Windows as well.

    So a wide assortment of programming languages are free for virtually every
    platform out there. It's just not necessarily well promoted or installed by
    default in a majority of systems. Even many Linux distributions don't
    necessary install much along the lines of development software by default.

    The biggest thing here that has changed in the last 25 years is that now the
    vast majority of computer users (and likely, to stay on topic, calculator
    users as well) just want to use the computer, not program it, so the
    marketing is different.

    Regards,

    Eric Rechlin

  19. Re: 14 years awaiting!

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 14:49:05 -0500, Martin Krischik wrote:

    > AAA is outdated as well. Today one uses Li-whatever rechargeables.

    The use of "Li-whatever rechargeables" is exactly why
    my otherwise highly capable PPCs are now turning into expensive paperweights --
    solely because their one-of a kind size/shape cell is no longer manufactured,
    old warehouse battery stock being unloaded today
    doesn't hold much of a charge, and the expensive PPCs become useless
    without replacing the Lithium ion cells every so often.

    However, my ancient but still perfectly working Sharp wizards
    (with full keyboards and wide display screens) and HP graphing calculators
    are still completely useful, because they are powered
    by ever-available standard AAAs -- rechargeable versions of which
    are also available everywhere.

    Beware of devices which will become extinct whenever their batteries do.

    -[ ]-

  20. Re: 14 years awaiting!

    On Oct 6, 4:09*pm, Dieter wrote:
    > Martin Krischik schrieb:
    >
    > > sc_use...@hotmail.com schrieb:

    > > > The best displays are the single-line 7-segment LCDs in simple
    > > > scientific calculators.

    > > HP41?

    > The '41 had a 14-segment display.
    > And of course it wasn't a "simple scientific calculator". 8-)
    >
    > Dieter

    You know what I meant.
    I meant the segmented displays (however many there are per character)
    as opposed to the dot-matrix LCDs.

    S.C.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast