AVG 8 - detects stuff in HP restore point folder as 'malware' - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on AVG 8 - detects stuff in HP restore point folder as 'malware' - Hewlett Packard ; AVG8 OK in your HP laptop? Anyone else have an issue ? I have DV6000 series laptop for traveling and it has worked fine for 18 months. I was leaving for a trip in late August so powered it up, ...

  1. AVG 8 - detects stuff in HP restore point folder as 'malware'

    AVG8 OK in your HP laptop?
    Anyone else have an issue ?

    I have DV6000 series laptop for traveling and it has worked fine for 18
    months. I was leaving for a trip in late August so powered it up, checked
    battery etc and saw that my Antivirus app had expired. I downloaded/
    installed latest AVG 8 in mid August and updated XP and ran a scan- ran
    fine. I then went on the road for 5 weeks using the laptop only
    occasionally to transfer pictures from camera and check email. During the
    second week I connected to wireless at hotel , AVG did an update and a
    short while later, AVG popped up to say that it detected problems in
    C:\[system ID here \restore....] and should I quarantine, fix,delete ?.
    Two were listed as serious and a few were minor. The date on the " serious
    files" was previous to my trip and the others were dated the first week of
    my travels. I thought - strange I didn't get notified before, and chose
    quarantine and continued. I thought - MAYBE since it just did an update -
    I had a new virus/spyware and the latest update looked for it. A few days
    later I turned it on to tranfer pictures ( no internet) and it "found some
    more issues". I then right-clicked on network adapter to check "Wireless
    Networks " tab (to investigate this online), and when I clicked on
    Wireless Networks saw a Microsoft message (paraphrasing) " this info is
    messed up - I can't display the desired info - do a restore." I then went
    into AVG quarantine area and said restore them - and rebooted. Still
    couldn't see 'available networks' on Wireless Networks tab - same error
    message. After that , I just elected ignore when it notified me of "more
    problems". ( I had googled the message originally and generic msft info
    returned) BTW, I CAN connect to wireless networks by using systray icon.

    I'm now home and have access to restore DVDs etc if needed and after
    copying all files/pictures from my trip to backup drive, will select a
    restore point and see how it goes. Just checking to see if anyone else has
    had such an issue. It seems to me that AVG8 doesn't like the data or
    format of what is in the restore point folder ( on the C drive - this
    isn't the D drive restore info). It scanned ok the first time, but all of
    these " pop-up alerts' telling me that I have issues are while it is
    'scanning in the background'. I didn't invoke anything. Nor had I done
    anything to create a new restore point. I was using PC to transfer
    video/jpegs. I'll update later in the week - maybe I got some corruption,
    but I doubt it, and just wanted to see if anyone else noticed this with
    AVG8.

  2. Re: AVG 8 - detects stuff in HP restore point folder as 'malware'

    AVG 8 has some false detection issues. On my Acer laptop, it "detected" 5
    trojans in the install file for an AverMedia TV tuner express card. I
    contacted AverMedia and they assured me there were no viruses in their
    software. They contacted AVG and a few weeks later there was an AVG update
    that corrected the issue. I would contact AVG via e-mail and ask. I'm not
    saying you do not have a virus issue, but I'd check it out.
    You also might do a free online scan offered by firms such as PC Cillin.

    HH

    "- Bobb -" wrote in message
    > AVG8 OK in your HP laptop?
    > Anyone else have an issue ?
    >
    > I have DV6000 series laptop for traveling and it has worked fine for 18
    > months. I was leaving for a trip in late August so powered it up, checked
    > battery etc and saw that my Antivirus app had expired. I downloaded/
    > installed latest AVG 8 in mid August and updated XP and ran a scan- ran
    > fine. I then went on the road for 5 weeks using the laptop only
    > occasionally to transfer pictures from camera and check email. During the
    > second week I connected to wireless at hotel , AVG did an update and a
    > short while later, AVG popped up to say that it detected problems in
    > C:\[system ID here \restore....] and should I quarantine, fix,delete ?.
    > Two were listed as serious and a few were minor. The date on the " serious
    > files" was previous to my trip and the others were dated the first week of
    > my travels. I thought - strange I didn't get notified before, and chose
    > quarantine and continued. I thought - MAYBE since it just did an update -
    > I had a new virus/spyware and the latest update looked for it. A few days
    > later I turned it on to tranfer pictures ( no internet) and it "found some
    > more issues". I then right-clicked on network adapter to check "Wireless
    > Networks " tab (to investigate this online), and when I clicked on
    > Wireless Networks saw a Microsoft message (paraphrasing) " this info is
    > messed up - I can't display the desired info - do a restore." I then went
    > into AVG quarantine area and said restore them - and rebooted. Still
    > couldn't see 'available networks' on Wireless Networks tab - same error
    > message. After that , I just elected ignore when it notified me of "more
    > problems". ( I had googled the message originally and generic msft info
    > returned) BTW, I CAN connect to wireless networks by using systray icon.
    >
    > I'm now home and have access to restore DVDs etc if needed and after
    > copying all files/pictures from my trip to backup drive, will select a
    > restore point and see how it goes. Just checking to see if anyone else has
    > had such an issue. It seems to me that AVG8 doesn't like the data or
    > format of what is in the restore point folder ( on the C drive - this
    > isn't the D drive restore info). It scanned ok the first time, but all of
    > these " pop-up alerts' telling me that I have issues are while it is
    > 'scanning in the background'. I didn't invoke anything. Nor had I done
    > anything to create a new restore point. I was using PC to transfer
    > video/jpegs. I'll update later in the week - maybe I got some corruption,
    > but I doubt it, and just wanted to see if anyone else noticed this with
    > AVG8.

  3. Re: AVG 8 - detects stuff in HP restore point folder as 'malware'

    "HH" wrote in message
    news:iLqdna8Xe6_BlnvVnZ2dnUVZ_s3inZ2d@metrocastcab levision.com...
    > AVG 8 has some false detection issues. On my Acer laptop, it "detected"
    > 5 trojans in the install file for an AverMedia TV tuner express card. I
    > contacted AverMedia and they assured me there were no viruses in their
    > software. They contacted AVG and a few weeks later there was an AVG
    > update that corrected the issue. I would contact AVG via e-mail and ask.
    > I'm not saying you do not have a virus issue, but I'd check it out.
    > You also might do a free online scan offered by firms such as PC Cillin.
    >
    > HH

    That's what I suspect - a false detection - and also
    corruption/interaction since it 'messed up' some parts of laptop even
    after I chose to "put them back as they were".

    I have to do a restore to get "things to work as they did prior to AVG".
    I'll send along to HP - thanks.

    > "- Bobb -" wrote in message
    >> AVG8 OK in your HP laptop?
    >> Anyone else have an issue ?
    >>
    >> I have DV6000 series laptop for traveling and it has worked fine for 18
    >> months. I was leaving for a trip in late August so powered it up,
    >> checked battery etc and saw that my Antivirus app had expired. I
    >> downloaded/ installed latest AVG 8 in mid August and updated XP and ran
    >> a scan- ran fine. I then went on the road for 5 weeks using the laptop
    >> only occasionally to transfer pictures from camera and check email.
    >> During the second week I connected to wireless at hotel , AVG did an
    >> update and a short while later, AVG popped up to say that it detected
    >> problems in C:\[system ID here \restore....] and should I quarantine,
    >> fix,delete ?. Two were listed as serious and a few were minor. The date
    >> on the " serious files" was previous to my trip and the others were
    >> dated the first week of my travels. I thought - strange I didn't get
    >> notified before, and chose quarantine and continued. I thought - MAYBE
    >> since it just did an update - I had a new virus/spyware and the latest
    >> update looked for it. A few days later I turned it on to tranfer
    >> pictures ( no internet) and it "found some more issues". I then
    >> right-clicked on network adapter to check "Wireless Networks " tab (to
    >> investigate this online), and when I clicked on Wireless Networks saw a
    >> Microsoft message (paraphrasing) " this info is messed up - I can't
    >> display the desired info - do a restore." I then went into AVG
    >> quarantine area and said restore them - and rebooted. Still couldn't
    >> see 'available networks' on Wireless Networks tab - same error message.
    >> After that , I just elected ignore when it notified me of "more
    >> problems". ( I had googled the message originally and generic msft info
    >> returned) BTW, I CAN connect to wireless networks by using systray
    >> icon.
    >>
    >> I'm now home and have access to restore DVDs etc if needed and after
    >> copying all files/pictures from my trip to backup drive, will select a
    >> restore point and see how it goes. Just checking to see if anyone else
    >> has had such an issue. It seems to me that AVG8 doesn't like the data
    >> or format of what is in the restore point folder ( on the C drive -
    >> this isn't the D drive restore info). It scanned ok the first time, but
    >> all of these " pop-up alerts' telling me that I have issues are while
    >> it is 'scanning in the background'. I didn't invoke anything. Nor had I
    >> done anything to create a new restore point. I was using PC to transfer
    >> video/jpegs. I'll update later in the week - maybe I got some
    >> corruption, but I doubt it, and just wanted to see if anyone else
    >> noticed this with AVG8.

  4. Re: AVG 8 - detects stuff in HP restore point folder as 'malware'

    "- Bobb -" wrote in message

    > "HH" wrote in message
    > news:iLqdna8Xe6_BlnvVnZ2dnUVZ_s3inZ2d@metrocastcab levision.com...
    > > AVG 8 has some false detection issues. On my Acer laptop, it "detected"
    > > 5 trojans in the install file for an AverMedia TV tuner express card. I
    > > contacted AverMedia and they assured me there were no viruses in their
    > > software. They contacted AVG and a few weeks later there was an AVG
    > > update that corrected the issue. I would contact AVG via e-mail and ask.
    > > I'm not saying you do not have a virus issue, but I'd check it out.
    > > You also might do a free online scan offered by firms such as PC Cillin.
    > >
    > > HH

    > That's what I suspect - a false detection - and also
    > corruption/interaction since it 'messed up' some parts of laptop even
    > after I chose to "put them back as they were".
    >
    > I have to do a restore to get "things to work as they did prior to AVG".
    > I'll send along to HP - thanks.

    I got my MCSE in NT 4.0 ten years ago and have not been active in the field
    for awhile. But I would agree with these answers that many virus programs
    give false positives just like many miss real viruses. But the thing I'd
    worry about the most is the wireless at hotels. Thousands of people,
    including dozens of my students when I taught at a computer school, got
    hacked using wireless, even though they had decent protection enabled on
    their laptops. Some of those "floating around hackers" are really sharp. I
    hope the other answers here help you out. I think they know more about your
    machine than I ever will. Good luck.

    > > "- Bobb -" wrote in message
    > >> AVG8 OK in your HP laptop?
    > >> Anyone else have an issue ?
    > >>
    > >> I have DV6000 series laptop for traveling and it has worked fine for 18
    > >> months. I was leaving for a trip in late August so powered it up,
    > >> checked battery etc and saw that my Antivirus app had expired. I
    > >> downloaded/ installed latest AVG 8 in mid August and updated XP and ran
    > >> a scan- ran fine. I then went on the road for 5 weeks using the laptop
    > >> only occasionally to transfer pictures from camera and check email.
    > >> During the second week I connected to wireless at hotel , AVG did an
    > >> update and a short while later, AVG popped up to say that it detected
    > >> problems in C:\[system ID here \restore....] and should I quarantine,
    > >> fix,delete ?. Two were listed as serious and a few were minor. The date
    > >> on the " serious files" was previous to my trip and the others were
    > >> dated the first week of my travels. I thought - strange I didn't get
    > >> notified before, and chose quarantine and continued. I thought - MAYBE
    > >> since it just did an update - I had a new virus/spyware and the latest
    > >> update looked for it. A few days later I turned it on to tranfer
    > >> pictures ( no internet) and it "found some more issues". I then
    > >> right-clicked on network adapter to check "Wireless Networks " tab (to
    > >> investigate this online), and when I clicked on Wireless Networks saw a
    > >> Microsoft message (paraphrasing) " this info is messed up - I can't
    > >> display the desired info - do a restore." I then went into AVG
    > >> quarantine area and said restore them - and rebooted. Still couldn't
    > >> see 'available networks' on Wireless Networks tab - same error message.
    > >> After that , I just elected ignore when it notified me of "more
    > >> problems". ( I had googled the message originally and generic msft info
    > >> returned) BTW, I CAN connect to wireless networks by using systray
    > >> icon.
    > >>
    > >> I'm now home and have access to restore DVDs etc if needed and after
    > >> copying all files/pictures from my trip to backup drive, will select a
    > >> restore point and see how it goes. Just checking to see if anyone else
    > >> has had such an issue. It seems to me that AVG8 doesn't like the data
    > >> or format of what is in the restore point folder ( on the C drive -
    > >> this isn't the D drive restore info). It scanned ok the first time, but
    > >> all of these " pop-up alerts' telling me that I have issues are while
    > >> it is 'scanning in the background'. I didn't invoke anything. Nor had I
    > >> done anything to create a new restore point. I was using PC to transfer
    > >> video/jpegs. I'll update later in the week - maybe I got some
    > >> corruption, but I doubt it, and just wanted to see if anyone else
    > >> noticed this with AVG8.

  5. Re: AVG 8 - detects stuff in HP restore point folder as 'malware'

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 08:32:28 -0400, "- Bobb -" wrote:

    >I have to do a restore to get "things to work as they did prior to AVG".
    >I'll send along to HP - thanks.

    If you find [or don't] find something in a restore point, and the rest ofthe
    machine is clean. Your best choice is to delete that restore point. Then create
    a new one from the current setup.

  6. Re: AVG 8 - detects stuff in HP restore point folder as 'malware'

    While AVG is very good, particularly given its free price, at finding
    viruses it occasionally has false positives.
    You can research these on the web.
    I use AVG but I think it is a trifle worse in this regard than, e.g.,
    Norton. On the other hand, unlike Norton, it is free, does not cut your
    system's performance in half and will not trash your hard drive when you try
    to uninstall it. Norton, a la Vista, issues warnings about perfectly
    innocuous activities without telling you what the threat might actually be.
    While on the subject of Norton: it came pre-installed on a computer my
    elderly mother bought. The computer froze frequently, almost always when
    coming out of any suspend mode. Deleting Norton and installing AVG cured the
    problem.
    Just saying . . .

  7. Re: AVG 8 - detects stuff in HP restore point folder as 'malware'

    boat987 "contributed" in alt.computer:

    > I got my MCSE

    Minesweaper Consultant and Solitaire Expert, that's what you are.

    --

  8. Re: AVG 8 - detects stuff in HP restore point folder as 'malware'

    AVG 8 has been been nothing but problems for me ever since it was released.

    I ran AVG 7 for a long time and was pleased with it, but v8 is about a
    worthless, buggy piece o crap imo.

    I would suggest switching to a different AV product.

  9. Re: AVG 8 - detects stuff in HP restore point folder as 'malware'

    "ShadowTek" wrote in message
    news:Xns9B2C9553BE772psistormyamatocscom@85.214.90 .236...
    > AVG 8 has been been nothing but problems for me ever since it was
    > released.
    >
    > I ran AVG 7 for a long time and was pleased with it, but v8 is about a
    > worthless, buggy piece o crap imo.
    >
    > I would suggest switching to a different AV product.

    My thoughts exactly - until this version it was great. ( still copying
    from laptop to desktop ... ALMOST done)
    I googled "AVG8 and FALSE POSITIVE" and found lots of complaints. I have a
    note written that I'm gonna send to HP - maybe they can post to prevent
    others from going through this. I'll send along - once I know the outcome

  10. Re: AVG 8 - detects stuff in HP restore point folder as 'malware'

    "- Bobb -" wrote in message

    > "ShadowTek" wrote in message
    > news:Xns9B2C9553BE772psistormyamatocscom@85.214.90 .236...
    >> AVG 8 has been been nothing but problems for me ever since it was
    >> released.
    >>
    >> I ran AVG 7 for a long time and was pleased with it, but v8 is about a
    >> worthless, buggy piece o crap imo.
    >>
    >> I would suggest switching to a different AV product.

    > My thoughts exactly - until this version it was great. ( still copying
    > from laptop to desktop ... ALMOST done)
    > I googled "AVG8 and FALSE POSITIVE" and found lots of complaints. I have a
    > note written that I'm gonna send to HP - maybe they can post to prevent
    > others from going through this. I'll send along - once I know the outcome

    I used AVG for many years, but when this last one came out it was one
    problem after another. I finally gave up and took Avast which is also free.
    So far working fine.
    --
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until
    you hear them speak

  11. Re: AVG 8 - detects stuff in HP restore point folder as 'malware'

    "John Holmes" wrote in message
    > boat987 "contributed" in alt.computer:
    >
    > > I got my MCSE

    > Minesweaper Consultant and Solitaire Expert, that's what you are.
    >
    > --

    "Minesweaper"???

    Maybe when you're old enough to stop breast-feeding, your Mommy might buy
    you a real computer with a spell checker that works. Now go tell Mommy you
    need a diaper change before your nap.

    Oh, the proctologist called. They found your head.

  12. Re: AVG 8 - detects stuff in HP restore point folder as 'malware'

    On Fri 03 Oct08 13:32, - Bobb - wrote in
    :

    > "HH" wrote in message
    > news:iLqdna8Xe6_BlnvVnZ2dnUVZ_s3inZ2d@metrocastcab levision.com...
    >> AVG 8 has some false detection issues. On my Acer laptop, it
    >> "detected" 5 trojans in the install file for an AverMedia TV
    >> tuner express card. I contacted AverMedia and they assured me
    >> there were no viruses in their software. They contacted AVG
    >> and a few weeks later there was an AVG update that corrected
    >> the issue. I would contact AVG via e-mail and ask. I'm not
    >> saying you do not have a virus issue, but I'd check it out.
    >> You also might do a free online scan offered by firms such as
    >> PC Cillin.
    >>
    >> HH

    > That's what I suspect - a false detection - and also
    > corruption/interaction since it 'messed up' some parts of laptop
    > even after I chose to "put them back as they were".
    >
    > I have to do a restore to get "things to work as they did prior
    > to AVG". I'll send along to HP - thanks.

    Must be annoying to do a restore to get things back to normal. :-(

  13. Re: AVG 8 - detects stuff in HP restore point folder as 'malware'

    - Bobb - wrote:
    > AVG8 OK in your HP laptop?
    > Anyone else have an issue ?
    >
    > I have DV6000 series laptop for traveling and it has worked fine for 18
    > months. I was leaving for a trip in late August so powered it up,
    > checked battery etc and saw that my Antivirus app had expired. I
    > downloaded/ installed latest AVG 8 in mid August and updated XP and ran
    > a scan- ran fine. I then went on the road for 5 weeks using the laptop
    > only occasionally to transfer pictures from camera and check email.
    > During the second week I connected to wireless at hotel , AVG did an
    > update and a short while later, AVG popped up to say that it detected
    > problems in C:\[system ID here \restore....] and should I quarantine,
    > fix,delete ?. Two were listed as serious and a few were minor. The date
    > on the " serious files" was previous to my trip and the others were
    > dated the first week of my travels. I thought - strange I didn't get
    > notified before, and chose quarantine and continued. I thought - MAYBE
    > since it just did an update - I had a new virus/spyware and the latest
    > update looked for it. A few days later I turned it on to tranfer
    > pictures ( no internet) and it "found some more issues". I then
    > right-clicked on network adapter to check "Wireless Networks " tab (to
    > investigate this online), and when I clicked on Wireless Networks saw a
    > Microsoft message (paraphrasing) " this info is messed up - I can't
    > display the desired info - do a restore." I then went into AVG
    > quarantine area and said restore them - and rebooted. Still couldn't see
    > 'available networks' on Wireless Networks tab - same error message.
    > After that , I just elected ignore when it notified me of "more
    > problems". ( I had googled the message originally and generic msft info
    > returned) BTW, I CAN connect to wireless networks by using systray icon.
    >
    > I'm now home and have access to restore DVDs etc if needed and after
    > copying all files/pictures from my trip to backup drive, will select a
    > restore point and see how it goes. Just checking to see if anyone else
    > has had such an issue. It seems to me that AVG8 doesn't like the data
    > or format of what is in the restore point folder ( on the C drive - this
    > isn't the D drive restore info). It scanned ok the first time, but all
    > of these " pop-up alerts' telling me that I have issues are while it is
    > 'scanning in the background'. I didn't invoke anything. Nor had I done
    > anything to create a new restore point. I was using PC to transfer
    > video/jpegs. I'll update later in the week - maybe I got some
    > corruption, but I doubt it, and just wanted to see if anyone else
    > noticed this with AVG8.

    Here's another scenario without false positives. Let's say that your
    computer contracted a virus infection and then you did some sort of
    software update, Windows or otherwise. If an infected file was replaced
    by the update, it gets bundled up with all the other older files into
    the restore point. AVG does a scan and rightfully finds a virus right
    there in the middle of a restore point.

    I do not envy the developers of any of these anti-virus programs for the
    difficult task they do. The trade press and the general news media
    report almost daily on the newest scams, the hacker groups and so on.

    AVG is still better than most. For me, this week involved solving
    serious software problems on two different computers, one with Norton
    Internet Security and the other with McAfee Internet Security. My
    experiences confirmed once again that I would not install these products
    on the computers of my worst enemy... Ben Myers

  14. Re: AVG 8 - detects stuff in HP restore point folder as 'malware'

    Ben,
    While I agree that AVG is still a good product, it has slipped a bit. It
    reported 5 trojans in an Aver Media software installatuion file, no less.
    Aver Media confirmed the problem with AVG AV and said they were working on
    it. another issue with AVG is their multiple definition updates daily and
    their excruciatingly slow update server for the free edition. Their update
    server for the paid version is noticeably faster downloading ( I've tried
    both versions).
    For these reasons, I decided to switch to Avast, another free anti-virus
    package and am very happy with it. Just an FYI.

    HH