Hello! - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Hello! - Hewlett Packard ; I joined the MPE list a few days ago, and they pointed me to this list as a bit of a larger resource. I've been lurking about noticing some familiar names and enjoying the postings. I just aquired my first ...

  1. Hello!

    I joined the MPE list a few days ago, and they pointed me to this list
    as a bit of a larger resource. I've been lurking about noticing some
    familiar names and enjoying the postings.

    I just aquired my first HP 3000 machine and have been having a great
    deal of fun getting it to boot and work, and then starting to explore
    MPE/ix. What a fascinating and enjoyable machine! I've been having an
    argument with it about talking on the network, and just got it
    completely up and operating today. (Thanks to loads of advice from
    Craig Lalley, Donna Hofmeister, and others - all of whom I thank very
    sincerely.

    I hope y'all don't mind if I take advantage of your good natures and
    ask some more questions over here... especially so since they will be
    "newbie" questions. To me this is great fun, and a really fun way to
    relax after the pressures of my day job.

    Well here goes...

    I have the network (TCP/IP) up and operating, but occasionally if I am
    doing something stupid like "listfiles @.@.@ 6"
    the output data to a terminal over the network will freeze. This has
    the look of a buffer problem, and I did specify 0 (zero) buffers
    somewhere in the TCP/IP networking setup. Should I go revist this and
    specify some number of buffers? Or is this more a result of the
    freeware terminal emulation clients I am using? (Screenjet, QCTerm,
    and a demo copy of Reflection HP.)

    Tapes are a fascinating subject - how might one read the directory off
    a tape? I have a few tapes that were sent with the machine, and
    absolutely no clue of how to find out what is on them.

    Also, the manual talks about labeling tapes, but I think it means
    actually physical labels! Do I need to to somehow initialize a tape
    with a standard, ansi, or no label format?

    And speaking of which, can I back up the entire system to a tape? Do I
    need to do that with an ISL utility?

    Alternatively, can I attach some external DASD and back up the system
    volume to one of those?

    Is the only console on the machine the serial port console? Is there a
    way to get access to a remote console, especially to power the machine
    on and off remotely? I'm think iLO or the equivalent...)

    Pretty obviously I am at the point where I am concerned with making a
    copy of the system in case the drive fails or I trash something. The
    machine had a pretty rough ride with UPS getting here, and I have
    little trust in a drive this old.

    I sure would appreciate any pointers you folks are willing to share. I
    also welcome good stories about the machine, as I tend to paste the
    stories in my machine notebook and read them later - sometimes years
    later.

    Yours,
    -Paul

    Paul Rauleson, Georgetown, Texas

  2. Re: Hello!

    Paul,
    welcome...to the madhouse.
    Model and hardware config details would help.
    Your first recourse for assistance should be the system help, once you knowa command name. Look on the web for an mpe quick reference card or manual,they do/did exist.
    Not sure about a listfiles clogging the network??? I hope you meant
    listf @.@.@,6

    re tapes - STORE ;;
    will do many things to backup files. you will get more data on a tape (if dds type) if you enable compression as in 'devctrl 7,enable'

    Similarly
    RESTORE ;;
    will do the reverse.
    to find out whats on a tape, lookup usage of
    VSTORE command....

    SYSGEN has options to make a bootable tape, with optionally user data filesas well.

    eg
    This is the MPE/iX Help Facility
    :
    * Enter SUMMARY, CLASS, a commandname, or HELPSTUDY *
    SUMMARY . . . . . . . . . . A summary MPE/iX commands & HELP

    CLASS. . . . . . . . . . Classes of Commands and subsystems

    < command name >. . . . . . COMMAND entries, by name

    < command name >< keyword > COMMAND entry with keyword
    PARMS, OPERATION, EXAMPLE

    INFO. . . . . . . . . . . . Related online information

    HELPSTUDY . . . . . . . . . A beginner's introduction to Help

    EXIT. . . . . . . . . . . . To leave the Help facility.

    You can use UPPERCASE or lowercase.

    >vstore

    VSTORE

    Verifies that the data on a backup media are valid (for example,
    there are no media errors), and reports errors incurred by STORE
    when writing the tape. (CM)

    SYNTAX

    VSTORE [vstorefile][;filesetlist][;option[;...]]

    where option is

    [;SHOW[=showparmlist]]

    [;ONERR[OR]={QUIT}]
    {SKIP}

    [;DIRECTORY]
    [;PROGRESS[=minutes]]

    [;COPYACD] [;NOACD]
    [;TREE] [;NOTREE]
    [;NODECOMPRESS]
    (24/38) Continue?

    [;STOREDIR[ECTORY]=directoryname]
    [;PART[IAL]DB]

    [;RESTORESET=(device[,...])]

    ** TurboSTORE/iX II and TurboSTORE/iX 7x24 True-Online Backup
    products only:

    [;RESTORESET=(device[,...])[,(device[,...])[,...]]]

    [;MOSET=(ldev[,...])[,(ldev[,...])[,...]]]
    [;NAME=backupname]

[...]

  3. Re: Hello!

    More....
    console defaults to the hard connected unit(dev 20), but you can use a pc running hyperterm if needed. If you logon via the network(do you have an emulator like Reflections?), find the logical device you are on (showme will list it), and do 'console ' to move console to your session.
    There is a facility to have a web console, but its another piece of hardware that you would need to do remote shutdowns.
    Some of things I speak of may be dependent on the version of mpe you are on- last one is 7.5. Do a showme and post the result - here is mine on 7.5:

    RELEASE: C.75.00 MPE/iX HP31900 C.45.05 USER VERSION: C.75.00

    jp

[...]

  4. Re: Hello!

    Thanks for the tips John. I was thinking of the way HP puts iLO on the Integrity boxes; I can telnet into the management port and turn the box on, off, get a console etc. I kind of simulated that by hooking the console port up to a PC an them I just use remote desktop to get to that PC if I need to.

    Seems like this is slightly older release than what you run.

    RELEASE: C.60.00 MPE/iX HP31900 C.16.01 USER VERSION: C.60.00

    How does licensing work with this? Do licenses go with the box, or do I need to contact HP and figure out how to "get legal?" Hopefully at a nominal cost. I would like to get a full system tape, as there are things that have been customized, or removed. Like the cobol commands to link and go, and the RPG compiler.

    Dang, it is a shame HP stopped selling these boxes - I am surprised nobody has written an emulator for 'em. At least, when I good HP3000 and emulator, it comes up with some pages that are about three years old now.

    Yours,
    -Paul

    On Wednesday, October 01, 2008, at 11:10PM, "John Pitman" wrote:
    >More....
    >console defaults to the hard connected unit(dev 20), but you can use a pc running hyperterm if needed. If you logon via the network(do you have an emulator like Reflections?), find the logical device you are on (showme will list it), and do 'console ' to move console to your session.
    >There is a facility to have a web console, but its another piece of hardware that you would need to do remote shutdowns.
    >Some of things I speak of may be dependent on the version of mpe you are on - last one is 7.5. Do a showme and post the result - here is mine on 7.5:
    >
    >RELEASE: C.75.00 MPE/iX HP31900 C.45.05 USER VERSION: C.75.00
    >
    >jp

  5. Re: Hello!

    IRT VSTORE: Really cool - but - at least a couple of these tapes are
    in what the systems tells me are MPEv format. The Listdir and VSTORE
    options won't read 'em.

    Is there an older utility to do this?

    -Paul

    On Oct 2, 2008, at 1:04 AM, John Pitman wrote:

    > Paul,
    > welcome...to the madhouse.
    > Model and hardware config details would help.
    > Your first recourse for assistance should be the system help, once
    > you know a command name. Look on the web for an mpe quick reference
    > card or manual, they do/did exist.
    > Not sure about a listfiles clogging the network??? I hope you meant
    > listf @.@.@,6
    >
    > re tapes - STORE ;;
    > will do many things to backup files. you will get more data on a
    > tape (if dds type) if you enable compression as in 'devctrl 7,enable'
    >
    > Similarly
    > RESTORE ;;
    > will do the reverse.
    > to find out whats on a tape, lookup usage of
    > VSTORE command....
    >
    > SYSGEN has options to make a bootable tape, with optionally user
    > data files as well.
    >
    > eg
    > This is the MPE/iX Help Facility
    > :
    > * Enter SUMMARY, CLASS, a commandname, or HELPSTUDY *
    > SUMMARY . . . . . . . . . . A summary MPE/iX commands & HELP
    >
    > CLASS. . . . . . . . . . Classes of Commands and subsystems
    >
    > < command name >. . . . . . COMMAND entries, by name
    >
    > < command name >< keyword > COMMAND entry with keyword
    > PARMS, OPERATION, EXAMPLE
    >
    > INFO. . . . . . . . . . . . Related online information
    >
    > HELPSTUDY . . . . . . . . . A beginner's introduction to Help
    >
    > EXIT. . . . . . . . . . . . To leave the Help facility.
    >
    > You can use UPPERCASE or lowercase.

    >> vstore

    > VSTORE
    >
    > Verifies that the data on a backup media are valid (for example,
    > there are no media errors), and reports errors incurred by STORE
    > when writing the tape. (CM)
    >
    > SYNTAX
    >
    > VSTORE [vstorefile][;filesetlist][;option[;...]]
    >
    > where option is
    >
    > [;SHOW[=showparmlist]]
    >
    > [;ONERR[OR]={QUIT}]
    > {SKIP}
    >
    > [;DIRECTORY]
    > [;PROGRESS[=minutes]]
    >
    > [;COPYACD] [;NOACD]
    > [;TREE] [;NOTREE]
    > [;NODECOMPRESS]
    > (24/38) Continue?
    >
    > [;STOREDIR[ECTORY]=directoryname]
    > [;PART[IAL]DB]
    >
    > [;RESTORESET=(device[,...])]
    >
    > ** TurboSTORE/iX II and TurboSTORE/iX 7x24 True-Online Backup
    > products only:
    >
    > [;RESTORESET=(device[,...])[,(device[,...])[,...]]]
    >
    > [;MOSET=(ldev[,...])[,(ldev[,...])[,...]]]
    > [;NAME=backupname]
    >

    > KEYWORDS: PARMS,OPERATION,EXAMPLE

  6. Re: Hello!

    --- On Thu, 10/2/08, Paul Raulerson wrote:

    > IRT VSTORE: Really cool - but - at least a couple of these
    > tapes are in what the systems tells me are MPEv format. The Listdir
    > and VSTORE options won't read 'em.
    >
    > Is there an older utility to do this?

    Ok, I know I am old, so I should know this, but I thought LISTDIR did work on the older MPEv format.

    file t;dev=7
    RESTORE *T;;LISTDIR

    -Craig

  7. Re: Hello!

    --- On Thu, 10/2/08, Paul Raulerson wrote:

    > IRT VSTORE: Really cool - but - at least a couple of these
    > tapes are in what the systems tells me are MPEv format. The Listdir
    > and VSTORE options won't read 'em.
    >
    > Is there an older utility to do this?

    Ok, I just had a senior moment... there was a utility we used to use... now mind you, it is over 13 years ago that I would have used it...

    TAPEDIR displays the contents of CM STORE tapes. TAPEDIR is a subset of the TINDEX Tool, which handles NM & CM STORE tapes, TAR tapes, SLT/SYSGEN tapes, memory dump tapes, and others.
    (LZW), (std), (Plain text information.)

    This nice little utility is brought to from our good friends at Allegro.
    (Well know name in our little industry)...

    You can download TAPEDIR from here.
    http://www.allegro.com/software/hp30...ff/TAPEDIR.std

    But if you want to have fun, look at all the other "cool" stuff.
    http://www.allegro.com/software/hp3000/allegro.html

    -Craig