Help needed running an HP officejet l7580 on a single phone line - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Help needed running an HP officejet l7580 on a single phone line - Hewlett Packard ; I've been using the HP L7580 scanner/printer/fax on a dedicated fax line and it works fine. However, I've now moved it onto the same line that I use for my phone as I get so few faxes. The instructions suggest ...

  1. Help needed running an HP officejet l7580 on a single phone line

    I've been using the HP L7580 scanner/printer/fax on a dedicated fax
    line and it works fine. However, I've now moved it onto the same line
    that I use for my phone as I get so few faxes. The instructions
    suggest that this isn't a problem and that I can set it up so that it
    accepts faxes in my absence and leaves voice calls alone so that they
    go through to my answerphone. Trouble is that I can't get it to work!

    I have even rung HP with no luck. Have I mis-read the instructions or
    is it possible?

    Would appreciate any help.

    Peter

  2. Re: Help needed running an HP officejet l7580 on a single phone line

    "peter" wrote in message
    > I've been using the HP L7580 scanner/printer/fax on a dedicated fax
    > line and it works fine. However, I've now moved it onto the same line
    > that I use for my phone as I get so few faxes. The instructions
    > suggest that this isn't a problem and that I can set it up so that it
    > accepts faxes in my absence and leaves voice calls alone so that they
    > go through to my answerphone. Trouble is that I can't get it to work!
    >
    > I have even rung HP with no luck. Have I mis-read the instructions or
    > is it possible?
    >

    > Would appreciate any help.
    >

    > Peter

    How would it know to "leave voice calls alone" AFTER answering the call ?
    You mis-understood.

    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00862808.pdf
    Per pg 15-17, you have config #3:

    "Determine how you want the device to answer calls: automatically or
    manually.

    If you set up the device to answer calls automatically, it answers all
    incoming calls faxes. Your device will not be able to distinguish between
    fax and voice calls. If you suspect the call is a voice call, you will
    need to answer it before the device answers.

    To answer fax calls automatically, press the Auto Answer button until the
    light is on.

    If you set up the device to answer faxes manually, you must be available
    to respond
    in person to incoming fax calls or your device cannot receive faxes.

    To answer fax calls manually, press the Auto Answer button until the light
    is off."

+ Reply to Thread