Re: AVR Failure - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: AVR Failure - Hewlett Packard ; Can someone explain to me what the AVR FAILURE error means? What does AVR mean? The drive that was giving me this error I already discarded. That'll teach me for buying a cheapo drive off eBay :-( Brian. On Sat, ...

  1. Re: AVR Failure

    Can someone explain to me what the AVR FAILURE error means?

    What does AVR mean?

    The drive that was giving me this error I already discarded. That'll teach
    me for buying a cheapo drive off eBay :-(

    Brian.

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 16:21:26 -0600, Gary Robillard
    wrote:

    >Hi Brian,
    >
    >To add to what Craig said, sometimes when you get the AVR message or the
    >duplicate volume message the drive will mount as 'unknown' and the
    >scratchvol command may complain about the drive being mounted in an invalid
    >state. If this occurs you can usually still create the test/dummy volumeset
    >(even without scratching) to initialize the volume (as Craig explained).
    >When the drive is in the unknown state you can usually use the newset
    >command, but the newvol command generally complains...
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Gary

  2. Re: AVR Failure

    --- On Sun, 9/28/08, Brian Donaldson wrote:

    > Can someone explain to me what the AVR FAILURE error means?
    >
    > What does AVR mean?
    >
    > The drive that was giving me this error I already
    > discarded. That'll teach
    > me for buying a cheapo drive off eBay :-(

    Brian,

    I should have posted that...

    AVR stands for Automatic Volume Recognition.

    There should be some documetation on it at docs.hp.com

    -Craig