Can the new HP laptops be run with Windows XP Pro? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Can the new HP laptops be run with Windows XP Pro? - Hewlett Packard ; I have heard so many bad things about Vista that I would prefer to run an OS with which I am familiar, XP Pro. Is there hardware support for XP Pro? Thanks Ken K...

  1. Can the new HP laptops be run with Windows XP Pro?

    I have heard so many bad things about Vista that I would prefer to run
    an OS with which I am familiar, XP Pro. Is there hardware support for
    XP Pro?

    Thanks
    Ken K

  2. Re: Can the new HP laptops be run with Windows XP Pro?

    I've had absolutely no problems with Vista Home Premium on a new notebook
    and three new HP desktops. The stories you hear are mostly from people who
    try to run incompatible applications. Give Vista enough RAM (2 GB at least)
    and it runs just fine with some neat features not found in XP. Now, if you
    must run XP because you must run older, incompatible applications, check the
    HP website and be sure XP drivers are listed for the unit under
    consideration. If not, don't buy that model. As for familiarity, you can
    easily make Vista look and feel like classic XP with a few mouse clicks, but
    once you actually see Vista, I doubt you will want to.

    HH

    "ken" wrote in message
    >I have heard so many bad things about Vista that I would prefer to run an
    >OS with which I am familiar, XP Pro. Is there hardware support for XP Pro?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ken K

  3. Re: Can the new HP laptops be run with Windows XP Pro?

    HP absolutely will not support any other OS for a computer shipped with Vista.
    And, AFAIK, HP laptops all ship with Vista only.

    Dell may still or may not ship laptops with XP Pro installed. Lenovo ships some
    models also with XP Pro.

    If you want to run XP Pro, do your fact checking first. Most any laptop with an
    Intel chipset has the necessary drivers for XP. But you have to find them and
    download them yourself. First thing after installing the OS, install the
    chipset drivers, then the other drivers... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:05:47 -0700, ken wrote:

    >I have heard so many bad things about Vista that I would prefer to run
    >an OS with which I am familiar, XP Pro. Is there hardware support for
    >XP Pro?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Ken K

  4. Re: Can the new HP laptops be run with Windows XP Pro?

    HH wrote:
    > I've had absolutely no problems with Vista Home Premium on a new
    > notebook and three new HP desktops. The stories you hear are mostly
    > from people who try to run incompatible applications. Give Vista enough
    > RAM (2 GB at least) and it runs just fine with some neat features not
    > found in XP. Now, if you must run XP because you must run older,
    > incompatible applications, check the HP website and be sure XP drivers
    > are listed for the unit under consideration. If not, don't buy that
    > model. As for familiarity, you can easily make Vista look and feel like
    > classic XP with a few mouse clicks, but once you actually see Vista, I
    > doubt you will want to.
    >
    > HH
    >
    > "ken" wrote in message
    >> I have heard so many bad things about Vista that I would prefer to run
    >> an OS with which I am familiar, XP Pro. Is there hardware support for
    >> XP Pro?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Ken K

    Well, what you say is encouraging. The system is for my college-age
    daughter. She runs standard Office applications, iTunes, no gaming, no
    graphics. I have done all of our home IT for the past umteen years, and
    everything is running on XP Pro. The new laptops seem to come with
    2-3GB of RAM. I had heard that Vista is a RAM hog, so I was concerned
    about running out of memory with slowing of the programs, but with 4
    systems, I must bow to your experience.

    Thanks
    Ken K

  5. Re: Can the new HP laptops be run with Windows XP Pro?

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:05:47 -0700, ken wrote:

    >I have heard so many bad things about Vista that I would prefer to run
    >an OS with which I am familiar, XP Pro. Is there hardware support for
    >XP Pro?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Ken K

    You might want to have a look at the thread still going here entitled
    "HP 530 USB ports".

  6. Re: Can the new HP laptops be run with Windows XP Pro?

    Despite what HH said, if you do decide to go with XP Pro, the odds are about 999
    to 1 that you'll need to find the drivers elsewhere, not at www.hp.com . Unless,
    of course, HP offers the model with XP... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:40:47 -0700, ken wrote:

    >HH wrote:
    >> I've had absolutely no problems with Vista Home Premium on a new
    >> notebook and three new HP desktops. The stories you hear are mostly
    >> from people who try to run incompatible applications. Give Vista enough
    >> RAM (2 GB at least) and it runs just fine with some neat features not
    >> found in XP. Now, if you must run XP because you must run older,
    >> incompatible applications, check the HP website and be sure XP drivers
    >> are listed for the unit under consideration. If not, don't buy that
    >> model. As for familiarity, you can easily make Vista look and feel like
    >> classic XP with a few mouse clicks, but once you actually see Vista, I
    >> doubt you will want to.
    >>
    >> HH
    >>
    >> "ken" wrote in message
    >>> I have heard so many bad things about Vista that I would prefer to run
    >>> an OS with which I am familiar, XP Pro. Is there hardware support for
    >>> XP Pro?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Ken K

    >Well, what you say is encouraging. The system is for my college-age
    >daughter. She runs standard Office applications, iTunes, no gaming, no
    >graphics. I have done all of our home IT for the past umteen years, and
    >everything is running on XP Pro. The new laptops seem to come with
    >2-3GB of RAM. I had heard that Vista is a RAM hog, so I was concerned
    >about running out of memory with slowing of the programs, but with 4
    >systems, I must bow to your experience.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Ken K

+ Reply to Thread