HP 530 USB ports - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP 530 USB ports - Hewlett Packard ; It is hard to tell if this problem is hardware or software. I have a program that will not operate under Windows Vista, which is the OS preinstalled on the HP 530. I downgraded the OS to Windows XP, Service ...

  1. HP 530 USB ports

    It is hard to tell if this problem is hardware or software.

    I have a program that will not operate under Windows Vista, which is
    the OS preinstalled on the HP 530. I downgraded the OS to Windows XP,
    Service Pack 2. Strange things began happening; for example, my
    camera was considered a disk drive and card readers are not
    recognised.

    Errors are confined to the USB ports. A search of Google reveals
    many people had problems with the USB ports after they downgraded
    to XP. No suggestions for correcting the problem could be found.

    Does anyone here have a magic bullet? I do not expect HP to solve
    this problem because HP never sold this computer with XP.

  2. Re: HP 530 USB ports

    What is the EXACT model of the system? Did you install drivers for the
    motherboard chipset? This has to be done first thing after installing a Windows
    operating system, so that drivers for everything else can be installed and
    operate properly. if the system has an Intel CPU, it undoubtedly has an Intel
    chipset, for which drivers are readily available at the Intel web site, if
    nowhere else... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 14:42:29 -0400, Jim Carter wrote:

    >It is hard to tell if this problem is hardware or software.
    >
    >I have a program that will not operate under Windows Vista, which is
    >the OS preinstalled on the HP 530. I downgraded the OS to Windows XP,
    >Service Pack 2. Strange things began happening; for example, my
    >camera was considered a disk drive and card readers are not
    >recognised.
    >
    >Errors are confined to the USB ports. A search of Google reveals
    >many people had problems with the USB ports after they downgraded
    >to XP. No suggestions for correcting the problem could be found.
    >
    >Does anyone here have a magic bullet? I do not expect HP to solve
    >this problem because HP never sold this computer with XP.

  3. Re: HP 530 USB ports

    The exact model is HP 530; this is written on the case and is the only
    designation that Google recognises. I stipulated to the store that
    the computer I bought must have Windows XP because the driver for one
    of my cameras (a Canon Model SD 430) would not operate under Vista.

    All drivers on the machine work correctly. It is only the USB ports
    that show errors. I can live with these errors, but I am hoping there
    is an easy solution.

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 20:13:10 -0400, Ben Myers
    wrote:

    >What is the EXACT model of the system? Did you install drivers for the
    >motherboard chipset? This has to be done first thing after installing a Windows
    >operating system, so that drivers for everything else can be installed and
    >operate properly. if the system has an Intel CPU, it undoubtedly has an Intel
    >chipset, for which drivers are readily available at the Intel web site, if
    >nowhere else... Ben Myers
    >
    >On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 14:42:29 -0400, Jim Carter wrote:
    >
    >>It is hard to tell if this problem is hardware or software.
    >>
    >>I have a program that will not operate under Windows Vista, which is
    >>the OS preinstalled on the HP 530. I downgraded the OS to Windows XP,
    >>Service Pack 2. Strange things began happening; for example, my
    >>camera was considered a disk drive and card readers are not
    >>recognised.
    >>
    >>Errors are confined to the USB ports. A search of Google reveals
    >>many people had problems with the USB ports after they downgraded
    >>to XP. No suggestions for correcting the problem could be found.
    >>
    >>Does anyone here have a magic bullet? I do not expect HP to solve
    >>this problem because HP never sold this computer with XP.

  4. Re: HP 530 USB ports

    I found the 530 in the HP Business Support Center, and I re-read your original
    message.

    When you installed XP Pro, how did you do it? Best way is to wipe the hard
    drive and start from scratch.

    After the XP Pro install CD had finished its magic, did you then install the
    Intel chipset drivers IMMEDIATELY afterward? If not, download them and install
    them again.

    You might also try a later version of these drivers from the Intel web site,
    which has them for 945-type chipsets.

    That's the best I can do in the way of suggestions... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:37:20 -0400, Jim Carter wrote:

    >The exact model is HP 530; this is written on the case and is the only
    >designation that Google recognises. I stipulated to the store that
    >the computer I bought must have Windows XP because the driver for one
    >of my cameras (a Canon Model SD 430) would not operate under Vista.
    >
    >All drivers on the machine work correctly. It is only the USB ports
    >that show errors. I can live with these errors, but I am hoping there
    >is an easy solution.
    >
    >On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 20:13:10 -0400, Ben Myers
    > wrote:
    >
    >>What is the EXACT model of the system? Did you install drivers for the
    >>motherboard chipset? This has to be done first thing after installing a Windows
    >>operating system, so that drivers for everything else can be installed and
    >>operate properly. if the system has an Intel CPU, it undoubtedly has an Intel
    >>chipset, for which drivers are readily available at the Intel web site, if
    >>nowhere else... Ben Myers
    >>
    >>On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 14:42:29 -0400, Jim Carter wrote:
    >>
    >>>It is hard to tell if this problem is hardware or software.
    >>>
    >>>I have a program that will not operate under Windows Vista, which is
    >>>the OS preinstalled on the HP 530. I downgraded the OS to Windows XP,
    >>>Service Pack 2. Strange things began happening; for example, my
    >>>camera was considered a disk drive and card readers are not
    >>>recognised.
    >>>
    >>>Errors are confined to the USB ports. A search of Google reveals
    >>>many people had problems with the USB ports after they downgraded
    >>>to XP. No suggestions for correcting the problem could be found.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone here have a magic bullet? I do not expect HP to solve
    >>>this problem because HP never sold this computer with XP.

  5. Re: HP 530 USB ports

    Let me add that I have installed XP on a decent number of systems with an Intel
    945 chipset. Never a USB problem, so the cause is either faulty hardware or
    faulty drivers. That's why I thought in terms of drivers for the 945 chipset.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:37:20 -0400, Jim Carter wrote:

    >The exact model is HP 530; this is written on the case and is the only
    >designation that Google recognises. I stipulated to the store that
    >the computer I bought must have Windows XP because the driver for one
    >of my cameras (a Canon Model SD 430) would not operate under Vista.
    >
    >All drivers on the machine work correctly. It is only the USB ports
    >that show errors. I can live with these errors, but I am hoping there
    >is an easy solution.
    >
    >On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 20:13:10 -0400, Ben Myers
    > wrote:
    >
    >>What is the EXACT model of the system? Did you install drivers for the
    >>motherboard chipset? This has to be done first thing after installing a Windows
    >>operating system, so that drivers for everything else can be installed and
    >>operate properly. if the system has an Intel CPU, it undoubtedly has an Intel
    >>chipset, for which drivers are readily available at the Intel web site, if
    >>nowhere else... Ben Myers
    >>
    >>On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 14:42:29 -0400, Jim Carter wrote:
    >>
    >>>It is hard to tell if this problem is hardware or software.
    >>>
    >>>I have a program that will not operate under Windows Vista, which is
    >>>the OS preinstalled on the HP 530. I downgraded the OS to Windows XP,
    >>>Service Pack 2. Strange things began happening; for example, my
    >>>camera was considered a disk drive and card readers are not
    >>>recognised.
    >>>
    >>>Errors are confined to the USB ports. A search of Google reveals
    >>>many people had problems with the USB ports after they downgraded
    >>>to XP. No suggestions for correcting the problem could be found.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone here have a magic bullet? I do not expect HP to solve
    >>>this problem because HP never sold this computer with XP.

+ Reply to Thread