Re: MPE FTP transfer into HFS namespace - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: MPE FTP transfer into HFS namespace - Hewlett Packard ; On: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:11:41 -0700, donna hofmeister wrote: > > I don't think anyone asked....what version of ftp are you (james) running. > the standard answer is always update to the latest version. ftp is (way) > easy ...

  1. Re: MPE FTP transfer into HFS namespace

    wrote:

    > I don't think anyone asked....what version of ftp are you (james) running.
    > the standard answer is always update to the latest version. ftp is (way)
    > easy to update. use autopat...no tape or reboot needed.

    Version info:

    :ftp
    File Transfer Protocol [A0012E07] (C) Hewlett-Packard Co. 2002 [PASSIVE
    SUPPORT]
    ftp>

    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I regret the delay in replying to some
    of them, but as I am a digest subscriber I did not see all of them until
    this morning.

    There are a few points about my situation.

    1. We are not on HP support and have not been since shortly after the 2001
    announcement of the HP3000 end of life.

    2. The current OS on the system is:
    RELEASE: C.75.00 MPE/iX HP31900 C.45.05 USER VERSION: C.75.00

    3. It has probably been 8 years since I last used autopat, or autopatch or
    whatever it was called, and my recollections of it do not extend beyond
    the "Oh yeah... I recall something like that" level of detail.

    I googled for info on this utility/script and I searched my system but I
    came up empty on any meaningful references.

    So, what I now need are detailed answers to two questions:

    1. May I update my HP3000 ftp client without having to contract for
    services from HP?

    2. If so, then exactly what steps do I follow? A recipe is what I need.

    Regards,

    --
    *** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
    9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241

  2. Re: MPE FTP transfer into HFS namespace

    you're several versions back.

    *ADVISEMENT* -- autopat is NOT the preferred patching tool. however in this
    particular case a 'design feature' in patch/ix makes updating ftp a bloody
    pain. normally, you DO want to use patch/ix!

    so...to start at the beginning...

    connecting to the itrc and doing a 7.5 patch search for ftp, you'll see that
    this...
    http://www12.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?patchid=FTPHDJ5A&sel={
    mpeix:c.75.00,}&BC=main|search|
    ....is the current release of ftp.

    (a quick read of the fixes indicates that (oh!) there is a repair for
    connecting with linux systems (well how about that))

    the next thing to do is get a copy of the patch installation guide:
    http://www12.itrc.hp.com/service/pat...tml.patchDBMPE
    UsageGuide&BC=main|search|

    - make sure you get an up-to-date copy of unpackp. if you haven't patched
    in a while (years) -- it's very worthwile.
    - for ftp you'll be using autopat, not patch/ix. HOWEVER, it's still a
    *good idea* to make sure patch/ix is up-to-date too.

    you can get patch/ix here:
    http://www12.itrc.hp.com/service/pat...tml.patchDBMPE
    DownloadPatchixHelp

    -----------------------

    as alfredo says -- read your directions like a love letter (eg, carefully,
    thoroughly and repeatedly). patching on mpe is relatively easy but if
    you're unfamiliar with the process the installation guide is invaluable.

    (did I mention it's a really good idea to have local *copies* (plural) of
    these instructions?)

    ------------------------

    so jumping forward in time a bit....

    you've made a quick backup of @.arpa.sys... (ftp is NOT in use, right??)

    ....and unpackp, patch/ix and your bright shiny ftp patch are all on your
    system.

    log on as MANAGER.SYS,INSTALL.

    you need to unpackage your patch according to the patching tool you're going
    to use. since you're going to use autopat. use the following command:

    :UNPACKP MPEIX01A, AUTOPAT

    upon completion, UNPACKP will place all component patch files in the proper
    group and account. AUTOPAT places files in the PATCHXL.TELESUP group and
    account. (do a listfile for warm fuzzies)

    since being logged on into the INSTALL group is unusual, it's a good idea to
    do a normal manager.sys log on now.

    start the patch installation process by entering the following:

    :XEQ AUTOPAT.PATCHXL.TELESUP

    AUTOPAT builds a workgroup, PATCHXL.SYS, and does most of its work from
    there. there's an outside chance that the group PATCHXL.SYS already exists
    and autopat will be quite unhappy about that. being the mild-mannered
    script (did I mention autopat was a script?) that it is, it polite tells you
    exactly what to do -- PURGEGROUP PATCHXL.SYS (copy-n-paste is wonderful ;-).

    You will prompted to enter your name and the passwords for MANAGER.SYS. The
    system will turn the terminal's echo off, so the passwords will not appear
    as you type them in. You will be prompted as follows:

    (AUTOPAT) (your reply)
    --------- ------------
    Your name: <>
    Account password for MANAGER.SYS: <>
    User password for MANAGER.SYS: <>

    Repeat passwords for confirmation;

    Account password for MANAGER.SYS: <>
    User password for MANAGER.SYS: <>

    next AUTOPAT will prompt you to enter the patch ID(s) for the patch(es) you
    will install. for 7.5, the (latest) patch id is: FTPHDJ5A. since autopat
    can apply several patches at once it will prompt for another patch id. use
    // to terminate the prompting loop.

    autopat will construct a patch installation job then it will then prompt you
    to "STREAM PATINSTL.PATCHXL"....which you do...and let the job run.

    since this is ftp that you're patching all that needs to be done is to
    stream this job. there will be no tape to create, no cslt creation and no
    update from (cslt) tape. clean and simple.

    now when you run ftp.arpa.sys -- you should see an update version number.
    - d

    ---
    Donna Hofmeister
    Allegro Consultants, Inc.
    408-252-2330

  3. Re: MPE FTP transfer into HFS namespace

    of course, the correct unpackp command is:

    UNPACKP FTPHDJ5A,AUTOPAT

    (and sometime, copy-n-paste isn't so wonderful :-) - d

    ---
    Donna Hofmeister
    Allegro Consultants, Inc.
    408-252-2330

  4. Re: MPE FTP transfer into HFS namespace

    to prove it really is easy.... - d

    :# is my unpackp new enough?
    : listfile unpackp.install,3
    ********************
    FILE: UNPACKP.INSTALL.SYS

    FILE CODE : 0 FOPTIONS: ASCII,FIXED,NOCCTL,STD
    BLK FACTOR: 3 CREATOR : **
    REC SIZE: 80(BYTES) LOCKWORD: **
    BLK SIZE: 240(BYTES) SECURITY--READ : ANY
    EXT SIZE: 74(SECT) WRITE : ANY
    NUM REC: 218 APPEND : ANY
    NUM SEC: 80 LOCK : ANY
    NUM EXT: 1 EXECUTE : ANY
    MAX REC: 218 **SECURITY IS ON
    MAX EXT: 1 FLAGS : NO ACCESSORS
    NUM LABELS: 0 CREATED : TUE, JUN 5, 2007, 4:24 PM
    MAX LABELS: 0 MODIFIED: TUE, JUN 5, 2007, 4:24 PM
    DISC DEV #: 1 ACCESSED: WED, DEC 5, 2007, 3:11 PM
    SEC OFFSET: 0 LABEL ADDR: **
    VOLCLASS : MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SETISC
    :# it's good to go

    : hello donna,manager.sys,install
    CPU=9. Connect=65. FRI, SEP 26, 2008, 10:10 AM.
    ENTER USER (MANAGER) PASSWORD:

    HP3000 Release: C.75.00 User Version: C.75.03 FRI, SEP 26, 2008, 10:10
    AM
    MPE/iX HP31900 C.45.05 Copyright Hewlett-Packard 1987. All rights
    reserved.
    :# ftp is back a version on this system (12G) so let's update it
    : ftp.arpa ftp.itrc.hp.com
    File Transfer Protocol [A0012G13] (C) Hewlett-Packard Co. 2002 [PASSIVE
    SUPPORT]

    220-
    220-Welcome to the IT Resource Center ftp server
    220-------------------------------------------------------
    220-
    220-You are user 298, and there is a limit of 800 simultaneous accesses.
    220-
    220-Log in as user "anonymous" (using your e-mail address as your password)
    220-to retrieve available patches for HP-UX, OpenVMS, True64, MPE/iX, and
    220-other platforms.
    220-
    220-If you are a user of other HP ITRC services, log in with your
    220-HP ITRC User ID and password to retrieve your files.
    220-
    220-
    220 g1u1297 FTP server (HP ASL ftpd, version(434)) ready.
    Connected to ftp.itrc.hp.com (15.216.76.113). (FTPINFO 40)
    Name(manager): anonymous
    331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
    Password:
    230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
    Remote system type is UNIX
    ftp> cd mpe-ix_patches/c.75.00
    250 CWD command successful.
    ftp> byte
    200 Type set to L (byte size 8).
    ftp> dir FTP*
    200 PORT command successful.
    150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
    -rw-r--r-- 1 21164 12753 904960 Oct 13 2007 FTPHDJ5A
    -rw-r--r-- 1 21164 12753 11526 Apr 26 09:36 FTPHDJ5A.txt
    226 Transfer complete.
    140 bytes received in 0.00 seconds (45.57 Kbytes/sec)
    ftp> get FTPHDJ5A
    200 PORT command successful.
    150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for FTPHDJ5A (904960 bytes).
    226 Transfer complete.
    904960 bytes received in 5.44 seconds (162.48 Kbytes/sec)
    ftp> quit
    221 Goodbye.
    : unpackp FTPHDJ5A,autopat

    * * * * * * * *

    NOTICE: Hewlett-Packard makes no warranty of any kind with regard to the
    information provided via HP ESC, including but not limited to, the
    implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.

    Hewlett-Packard shall not be liable for errors contained within
    HP ESC or for incidental or consequential damages in connection with
    the furnishing or use of the information.

    Customer is hereby granted the right to use the information provided
    through HP ESC. No right, title, or interest in the information
    contained in and provided through HP ESC is granted to the
    Customer.

    Any HP or third party software or information provided through HP ESC
    is copyrighted. All rights reserved. Reproduction, adaptation
    or translation without prior written permission from HP is prohibited,
    except as allowed under the copyright laws and except that Customer may
    produce a single human readable copy of the data. Customer shall not
    transfer, sell or in any manner commercially exploit HP ESC or the
    data contained in it. In no event may Customer remove or obscure copyright
    notices contained in HP ESC and the information provided through HP ESC.

    Copyright Hewlett-Packard Company 1995"

    * * * * * * * *

    The patch ID (SCO number) is FTPHDJ5A
    The Patch Tool is AUTOPAT

    Step 1: Converting the file from bytestream to MPE format.
    Note that this may take several minutes on a large patch.

    Step 2: Using STORE/RESTORE to unpack the file...

    Patch FTPHDJ5A has been unpacked successfully.

    : hello donna,manager.sys
    CPU=1. Connect=4. FRI, SEP 26, 2008, 10:14 AM.
    ENTER USER (MANAGER) PASSWORD:

    HP3000 Release: C.75.00 User Version: C.75.03 FRI, SEP 26, 2008, 10:14
    AM
    MPE/iX HP31900 C.45.05 Copyright Hewlett-Packard 1987. All rights
    reserved.
    Mombi: XEQ AUTOPAT.PATCHXL.TELESUP

    AUTOPAT: Start of patch installation procedure.

    All patch files must have previously been restored to PATCHXL.TELESUP.

    AUTOPAT Version: A.02.26 Patch Product ID compatible
    newgroup patchxl.sys;cap=ia,ba,pm,ph;access=(r,w,l,a,s:al;x :ac)
    Duplicate name in directory. (CIERR 906)
    Error: Workgroup PATCHXL.SYS already exists.
    ************************************************** ************
    * *
    * Please save any files of value to you on PATCHXL.SYS. *
    * Then PURGEGROUP PATCHXL.SYS. AUTOPAT will recreate *
    * PATCHXL.SYS to use as a work area. *
    * *
    ************************************************** ************

    : PURGEGROUP PATCHXL.SYS
    GROUP PATCHXL.SYS TO BE PURGED? (YES/NO)yes
    : XEQ AUTOPAT.PATCHXL.TELESUP

    AUTOPAT: Start of patch installation procedure.

    All patch files must have previously been restored to PATCHXL.TELESUP.

    AUTOPAT Version: A.02.26 Patch Product ID compatible

    Your name and a time stamp will be saved in the patch installation
    record in HPSWINFO.PUB.SYS. Please enter your name.

    Name:donna hofmeister

    You must give the passwords for MANAGER.SYS, which will be
    inserted into the patch job. You will be asked to confirm
    the account password and the user password.

    NOTE: The patch job with the passwords will be on the work
    group PATCHXL.SYS. If the patch job succeeds, it
    purges PATCHXL.SYS - erasing the record of passwords.

    IF THERE ARE NO PASSWORDS, you may press "return" at the prompts.

    Password for SYS account:

    Password for user MANAGER.SYS:

    Repeat passwords for confirmation

    Password for SYS account:

    Password for user MANAGER.SYS:

    Enter the patch ID's for the patches you wish installed.

    Type // or carriage return when you are finished with the list.

    Patch ID:FTPHDJ5A
    Patch ID://

    END OF PROGRAM

    Patch Job file built. To install patches, type:

    stream PATINSTL.PATCHXL

    A system load tape will NOT be required by this patch job.

    : stream PATINSTL.PATCHXL
    #J36

    :# wait about 30 seconds for the job to finish
    : ftp.arpa
    File Transfer Protocol [A0012H14] (C) Hewlett-Packard Co. 2002 [PASSIVE
    SUPPORT]

    ftp> quit
    :# sublime happiness

    - d (the whole thing maybe took 5 minutes to do)

    ---
    Donna Hofmeister
    Allegro Consultants, Inc.
    408-252-2330

  5. Re: MPE FTP transfer into HFS namespace

    First of all, thank you Donna for excellent instructions and for the time
    that you took to do this (even if as you claim it was only 5 minutes it
    was worth an eternity to me). Your message will remain an invaluable aide
    memoire for this process.

    However, the update has not changed the behaviour of the ftp client:

    :ftp
    File Transfer Protocol [A0012H14] (C) Hewlett-Packard Co. 2002 [PASSIVE
    SUPPORT]
    ftp> open 192.168.219.1
    220 (vsFTPd 2.0.5)
    Connected to 192.168.219.1. (FTPINFO 40)
    Name(manager): anonymous
    331 Please specify the password.
    Password:
    230 Login successful.
    Remote system type is UNIX
    ftp> byte
    200 Switching to Binary mode.
    ftp> cd ftp-drop
    250 Directory successfully changed.
    ftp> dir
    200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
    150 Here comes the directory listing.
    -rw-r----- 1 14 50 506740992 Sep 26 08:07 STDHAL.1.1
    -rw-r----- 1 14 50 325265920 Sep 26 08:19 STDHAL.2.1
    -rw-r----- 1 14 50 561713920 Sep 26 08:41 STDHAL.3.1
    -rw-r----- 1 14 50 564188160 Sep 26 09:03 STDHAL.4.1
    -rw-r----- 1 14 50 9747456 Sep 25 18:03 TEST.1.1
    -rw-r----- 1 14 50 18894848 Sep 25 18:04 TEST.2.1
    -rw-r----- 1 14 50 7290624 Sep 25 18:04 TEST.3.1
    -rw-r----- 1 14 50 8643840 Sep 25 18:04 TEST.4.1
    226 Directory send OK.
    540 bytes received in 0.06 seconds (8.11 Kbytes/sec)
    ftp> mget ./TEST*
    200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
    150 Here comes the directory listing.
    226 Directory send OK.
    40 bytes received in 0.04 seconds (1.03 Kbytes/sec)
    mget TEST.1.1? y
    The group name provided did not start with an alphabetic character.
    (FILE SYSTEM ERROR -117)

    Any ideas?

    --
    *** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
    9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241
    Hamilton, Ontario fax: +1 905 561 0757
    Canada L8E 3C3

  6. Re: MPE FTP transfer into HFS namespace

    Here's a SWAG,

    mget ./TEST* ./

    or

    mget ./TEST* /SYS/PUB/ftp-drop/

    -Craig

    I may have some time to test this in a bit.

    > First of all, thank you Donna for excellent instructions and
    > for the time
    > that you took to do this (even if as you claim it was only
    > 5 minutes it
    > was worth an eternity to me). Your message will remain an
    > invaluable aide
    > memoire for this process.
    >
    > However, the update has not changed the behaviour of the
    > ftp client:
    >
    > :ftp
    > File Transfer Protocol [A0012H14] (C) Hewlett-Packard Co.
    > 2002 [PASSIVE
    > SUPPORT]
    > ftp> open 192.168.219.1
    > 220 (vsFTPd 2.0.5)
    > Connected to 192.168.219.1. (FTPINFO 40)
    > Name(manager): anonymous
    > 331 Please specify the password.
    > Password:
    > 230 Login successful.
    > Remote system type is UNIX
    > ftp> byte
    > 200 Switching to Binary mode.
    > ftp> cd ftp-drop
    > 250 Directory successfully changed.
    > ftp> dir
    > 200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
    > 150 Here comes the directory listing.
    > -rw-r----- 1 14 50 506740992 Sep 26 08:07
    > STDHAL.1.1
    > -rw-r----- 1 14 50 325265920 Sep 26 08:19
    > STDHAL.2.1
    > -rw-r----- 1 14 50 561713920 Sep 26 08:41
    > STDHAL.3.1
    > -rw-r----- 1 14 50 564188160 Sep 26 09:03
    > STDHAL.4.1
    > -rw-r----- 1 14 50 9747456 Sep 25 18:03
    > TEST.1.1
    > -rw-r----- 1 14 50 18894848 Sep 25 18:04
    > TEST.2.1
    > -rw-r----- 1 14 50 7290624 Sep 25 18:04
    > TEST.3.1
    > -rw-r----- 1 14 50 8643840 Sep 25 18:04
    > TEST.4.1
    > 226 Directory send OK.
    > 540 bytes received in 0.06 seconds (8.11 Kbytes/sec)
    > ftp> mget ./TEST*
    > 200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
    > 150 Here comes the directory listing.
    > 226 Directory send OK.
    > 40 bytes received in 0.04 seconds (1.03 Kbytes/sec)
    > mget TEST.1.1? y
    > The group name provided did not start with an alphabetic
    > character.
    > (FILE SYSTEM ERROR -117)
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > --
    > *** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
    > James B. Byrne mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
    > Harte & Lyne Limited http://www.harte-lyne.ca
    > 9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241
    > Hamilton, Ontario fax: +1 905 561 0757
    > Canada L8E 3C3
    >
    > * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list
    > settings, *
    > * etc., please visit
    > http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *

  7. Re: MPE FTP transfer into HFS namespace

    not for mget. the syntax is:

    MGET remotefiles [;buildparms] [;move]

    (note -- there is no 'local' file parameter) - d

    ---
    Donna Hofmeister
    Allegro Consultants, Inc.
    408-252-2330