Page-Flipping mode on newest ARM HP49+/50G - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Page-Flipping mode on newest ARM HP49+/50G - Hewlett Packard ; Hello looking at programming a greyscale interface with a code compatible with the HP Graphic range from HP48S to HP50G, i decided to go for a simple page-flipping methodology which seems to be valid for all mentionned calcs. Well, at ...

  1. Page-Flipping mode on newest ARM HP49+/50G

    Hello

    looking at programming a greyscale interface with a code compatible
    with the HP Graphic range from HP48S to HP50G, i decided to go for a
    simple page-flipping methodology which seems to be valid for all
    mentionned calcs.

    Well, at least, it seems to work properly when using Emu48.
    But well, this coud just be a side-effect of this emulator ?

    Could any HP50G/49+/48GII user tell if greyscale page-flipping does
    work on its real hardware ?

    In case of doubt, here are some binaries for testings.
    http://img41.xooimage.com/files/d/9/...st1-6b3726.zip

    Note that this "simple sample" only handles 56 lines, so large-screen
    (80 lines) will have some garbage on the lower part.
    This can be corrected, but it's no use to spend much time on it if the
    principles at stake are not running properly on the first 56 lines.

    Regards

    Yann

  2. Re: Page-Flipping mode on newest ARM HP49+/50G

    > Could any HP50G/49+/48GII user tell if greyscale page-flipping does
    > work on its real hardware ?
    >
    > In case of doubt, here are some binaries for testings.
    > http://img41.xooimage.com/files/d/9/...st1-6b3726.zip
    >
    > Note that this "simple sample" only handles 56 lines, so large-screen
    > (80 lines) will have some garbage on the lower part.
    > This can be corrected, but it's no use to spend much time on it if the
    > principles at stake are not running properly on the first 56 lines.

    Page-flipping method is the way to go if you insist on supporting old
    calculators
    but as such it won't work properly on 49G+ and 50G.

    There are ways to make it work on 49G+ and 50G using OpenFire, but
    it requires adjustment to your code and some care from your part.

    1. recommendation: be sure not to use/draw directly to PICT (pict will be
    used by OpenFire)
    2. if you keep correct timing for each frame you just need to modify a call
    to your
    page-flipping routine with open fire call to one of the functions.
    There are several, both virtual and real page-flipping, routines available.
    Virtual routine is interesting in that it converts your frames in to
    grayscale so frame-timing
    is not needed to be kept.
    Note:
    OpenFire also handles the additional space (so no junk is displayed, but
    nice headder on top instead)
    it also handles all aspects of Saturn's display controller (scrolling,
    grayscale menu, even the 'scrolling bug')

    Consideration:
    However, since 49G+ and 50G have valuable additional screen space and can be
    switched to
    'native grayscale' which makes your program a lot simpler and preserves a
    lot of CPU cycles.
    Maybe you should consider writing separate version for 49G+/50G.
    Since you can use normal sysRPL and asm routines to handle grayscales driven
    by OpenFire
    you may realize it's easier than ever before :-)
    Animations as well are supported by OpenFire so you can make nice animated
    movie-like sequences.
    I don't see the challenge in writing grayscale handler/routine (technical)
    anymore, now it's in graphics,
    menus, control (creativity/artistic).
    And last but not least: 49G+ and 50G have SD cards, which means: your game
    and it's resources can be almost unlimited size. Just load chapters (or
    levels) from SD as you go along.

    for more information and samples:
    http://fly.srk.fer.hr/~manjo/openfire
    manjo

  3. Re: Page-Flipping mode on newest ARM HP49+/50G

    Thanks for pointing this out Manjo.

    It seems then, that i would need 2 different code path,
    one for Saturn-based system (including 49G then)
    and one for ARM-based using OpenFire.

    I've tried to test OpenFire, but it does not seem to output anything
    on EMU48,
    which i believe is normal if OpenFire uses functions outside of ASM
    scope.
    This makes testing a bit more difficult then, given that i only have
    Saturn-based calculator.

    Regards

    Yann

  4. Re: Page-Flipping mode on newest ARM HP49+/50G

    > Thanks for pointing this out Manjo.
    >
    > It seems then, that i would need 2 different code path,
    > one for Saturn-based system (including 49G then)
    > and one for ARM-based using OpenFire.

    True, it would be interesting if you decided to go for both versions
    just to see how much easier it is on 49G+/50G with openfire :-)

    > I've tried to test OpenFire, but it does not seem to output anything
    > on EMU48,
    > which i believe is normal if OpenFire uses functions outside of ASM
    > scope.
    > This makes testing a bit more difficult then, given that i only have
    > Saturn-based calculator.

    Yes, OpenFire will not work on EMU
    (as well as no other ARM based software HPGCC or ARM assembly)
    you ned to test/develop your software on true 49G+/50G

    From many posts in this group this seams to be unclear !
    Major confusion, i think, comes from "49G+ (50G) emulator" which has only
    Saturn and higher level capability (keyboard layout, Saturn+ instructions?,
    larger screen)
    (but no low level compatibility -no ARM and no SD card emulation)

    manjo

+ Reply to Thread