Hi John,

I was getting the same error from MPE to Unix.

I don't know if Linux will be the same, but I was able to use mput when I initiated the ftp session from HP-UX (but I had to add the ./ to the filename).

Make sure to use binary mode for the transfer... As you noted this did not work when running ftp on the MPE/iX system:

HP-UX:ftp mpesys
220 HP ARPA FTP Server [A0012E08] (C) Hewlett-Packard Co. 2000 [PASV SUPPORT]
username
password
ftp>binary
200 Type set to I.
ftp>prompt
Interactive mode off.
ftp>mput TEST*
200 port command ok.
550 The group name provided did not start with an alphabetic character (FILE SYSTEM ERROR -117)

same for all 3 files

ftp>mput ./TEST*
200 port command ok.
150 File: ./TEST.1.1 opened; data connection will be opened
226 transfer complete
.... same (successful transfer) for all three files

Thanks,
Gary
From: "James B. Byrne"