MPE FTP transfer into HFS namespace - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on MPE FTP transfer into HFS namespace - Hewlett Packard ; MPE/iX 7.5 I have a set of Store-to-Disc file having the form TEST.1.1, TEST.2.1, TEST.3.1 and TEST.4.1 residing on a Linux server. I wish to retrieve these files to an HP3000/918LX via the mget command of the MPE/iX ftp client. ...

  1. MPE FTP transfer into HFS namespace

    MPE/iX 7.5

    I have a set of Store-to-Disc file having the form TEST.1.1, TEST.2.1,
    TEST.3.1 and TEST.4.1 residing on a Linux server. I wish to retrieve
    these files to an HP3000/918LX via the mget command of the MPE/iX ftp
    client.

    :FTP 192.168.219.1
    File Transfer Protocol [A0012E07] (C) Hewlett-Packard Co. 2002 [PASSIVE
    SUPPORT]
    220 (vsFTPd 2.0.5)
    Connected to 192.168.219.1. (FTPINFO 40)
    Name(manager): ANONYMOUS
    331 Please specify the password.
    Password:
    230 Login successful.
    Remote system type is UNIX
    ftp> prompt
    Interactive mode off. (FTPINFO 42)
    ftp> cd ftp-drop
    250 Directory successfully changed.
    ftp> mget TEST*
    200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
    150 Here comes the directory listing.
    226 Directory send OK.
    40 bytes received in 0.01 seconds (3.00 Kbytes/sec)
    The group name provided did not start with an alphabetic character.
    (FILE SYSTEM ERROR -117)

    OK, that did not work. Let us try this instead:

    ftp> mget ./TEST*
    200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
    150 Here comes the directory listing.
    226 Directory send OK.
    40 bytes received in 0.01 seconds (3.00 Kbytes/sec)
    The group name provided did not start with an alphabetic character.
    (FILE SYSTEM ERROR -117)

    What is the magical incantation to put these files into the HFS namespace
    for future use by RESTORE?

    Regards,

    --
    *** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
    9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241

  2. Re: MPE FTP transfer into HFS namespace

    James,

    I'm a bit rusty at this now, but when we were using Netbackup (which
    didn't provide an MPE client), we FTP'd out files to a windows server
    (Where Netbackup did provide a client). In doing so, occasionally we would
    need to recall some of our backups to the MPE server. My experience was
    to, in using mget or mput, you needed to have identical account, group
    and file names to do so (as you could not specify 'to' file information).
    That said, I found it easy to replicate my backup account structure (see
    below) with that of the Windows directory/subdirectory.
    :report @.backup
    ACCOUNT FILESPACE-SECTORS CPU-SECONDS CONNECT-MINUTES
    /GROUP COUNT LIMIT COUNT LIMIT COUNT LIMIT
    BACKUP 0 ** 5180 ** 0 **
    */APPBACK 3451808 ** 0 ** 0 **
    */DATABASE222492608 ** 0 ** 0 **
    */FULL 142158208 ** 0 ** 0 **
    */PARTIAL 541712 ** 0 ** 0 **
    */PUB 0 ** 0 ** 0 **
    */REFRESH 0 ** 5180 ** 0 **

    So, this allowed me to mput /BACKUP/DATABASE/F8I25N2@ in the nightly
    database backup job. So, I assume that one could mget from MPE in the same
    manner.

    HTH,

    PS. Don't forget to alter the regurgitated file back to code 2501 (STORE)
    as well.

    Regards,

    Reid E. Baxter

    "James B. Byrne"
    Sent by: HP-3000 Systems Discussion
    09/25/2008 02:49 PM
    Please respond to
    "James B. Byrne"

    HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
    cc

    Subject
    [HP3000-L] MPE FTP transfer into HFS namespace

[...]

    and affiliates.

    copy format. Thank you.

    disclosures relating to UK legal entities.

  3. Re: MPE FTP transfer into HFS namespace

    On Thu, September 25, 2008 16:04, reid.e.baxter@jpmchase.com wrote:
    > James,
    >
    > I'm a bit rusty at this now, but when we were using Netbackup (which
    > didn't provide an MPE client), we FTP'd out files to a windows server
    > (Where Netbackup did provide a client). In doing so, occasionally we would
    > need to recall some of our backups to the MPE server. My experience was
    > to, in using mget or mput, you needed to have identical account, group
    > and file names to do so (as you could not specify 'to' file information).
    > That said, I found it easy to replicate my backup account structure (see
    > below) with that of the Windows directory/subdirectory.

    Am I to understand that the ftp client on MPE/iX will NOT transfer
    multiple files from any arbitrary directory on a *nix machine into the
    current working directory of the ftp client?!!! That the only way to get
    an indefinite set of files from a *nix box into say, /SYSTEM/TMP, on an
    HP3000 is to have them stored in a directory relative to the ftp daemon
    root called /SYSTEM/TMP as well? Tell me this is not true.

    --
    *** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
    9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241
    Hamilton, Ontario fax: +1 905 561 0757
    Canada L8E 3C3

  4. Re: MPE FTP transfer into HFS namespace

    James asks:

    The inclusion of the leading "./" (which you tried) should be the ticket. For example, the following shows getting these types of files from an HP-UX system:

    ftp> mget files*
    200 PORT command successful.
    150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
    226 Transfer complete.
    23 bytes received in 0.00 seconds (11.23 Kbytes/sec)
    mget files.type1? y
    NONEXISTENT GROUP (FSERR 51)
    mget files.type2? y
    ftp> mget ./files*
    200 PORT command successful.
    150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
    226 Transfer complete.
    27 bytes received in 0.00 seconds (13.18 Kbytes/sec)
    mget ./files.type1? y
    200 PORT command successful.
    150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for ./files.type1 (17795 bytes).
    226 Transfer complete.
    18110 bytes received in 0.03 seconds (520.16 Kbytes/sec)
    mget ./files.type2? y
    200 PORT command successful.
    150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for ./files.type2 (13968 bytes).
    226 Transfer complete.
    14215 bytes received in 0.05 seconds (266.96 Kbytes/sec)
    ftp>

    I notice that you're getting some different messages back from the Linux system. (For example, "150 Here comes the directory listing.") I wonder if the Linux system's FTP is being "smart" and stripping off the leading "./" when replying back to the MPE FTP?

    Of course the workaround is to give the target files a temporary MPE compatible name.

    Good luck!

    Craig

  5. Re: MPE FTP transfer into HFS namespace

    I don't think anyone asked....what version of ftp are you (james) running.
    the standard answer is always update to the latest version. ftp is (way)
    easy to update. use autopat...no tape or reboot needed.

    - donna

    ---
    Donna Hofmeister
    Allegro Consultants, Inc.
    408-252-2330

    > I notice that you're getting some different messages back from the
    > Linux system. (For example, "150 Here comes the directory listing.") I
    > wonder if the Linux system's FTP is being "smart" and stripping off the
    > leading "./" when replying back to the MPE FTP?
    >
    > Of course the workaround is to give the target files a temporary MPE
    > compatible name.

  6. Re: MPE FTP transfer into HFS namespace

    Hello James,

    I duplicated the problem and the cause is the MPE ftp mget is not requesting
    each file with a "./" prefix when it is specified in the "mget ./TEST*"
    command.

    It looks like you have a somewhat acceptable workaround. You should contact
    your service provider and have them open a case with HP Response Center if
    you wish to pursue a FTP fix.

    Regards,
    James Hofmeister