SQL (ISQL) question: - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on SQL (ISQL) question: - Hewlett Packard ; Hi all, I'm going through an IMAGE data set via ISQL, and I wanted to create a flat file of some output. I've looked through the ISQL help (really not much of a help), and plowed through the WEB, but ...

  1. SQL (ISQL) question:

    Hi all,

    I'm going through an IMAGE data set via ISQL, and I wanted
    to create a flat file of some output. I've looked through the ISQL help
    (really not much of a help), and plowed through the WEB, but I'm unable
    to find a solution for having SQL write to a flat file.

    Any help out there...TIA.

    Raymond Shahan

    Information Systems
    REPUBLIC TITLE OF TEXAS, INC.
    2701 W Plano Parkway
    <http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ad...ay&csz=75075&c
    ountry=us&new=1&name=&qty=>
    Plano, TX 75075

    direct 214.556.0202
    main 972.578.8611
    fax 972.424.5621

    www.republictitle.com

    rshahan@republictitle.com

    Life is not a journey to the grave with the
    intention of arriving safely in a pretty and
    well preserved body, but rather to skid in
    broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
    and loudly proclaiming:

    -- WOW!!! What a Ride!!!

  2. Re: SQL (ISQL) question:

    Ray,

    How about the ISQL unload command

    http://docs.hp.com/en/36216-90095/ch04s28.html

    Michael Berkowitz
    Project Manager, CGS Application Solutions
    707 Wilshire Blvd Suite 1900
    Los Angeles, CA 90017-3509
    T: 213 614-1308
    F: 213 614-2028
    mberkowitz@cgsinc.com

    [HP3000-L] SQL (ISQL) question:

    Ray Shahan
    to:
    HP3000-L
    09/23/2008 08:33 AM

    Sent by:
    HP-3000 Systems Discussion
    Please respond to Ray Shahan

[...]

    NOTICE OF COMPANY CONFIDENTIALITY
    This e-mail, and any attachment to it, contains company confidential and/orprivileged information intended only for the use of the individual(s) named on the e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying or distribution of this information or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this e-mail transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by telephone immediately, and/or immediately return itto the sender, and delete it from your system.
    Thank you for your cooperation.

  3. Re: SQL (ISQL) question:

    Michael,
    Looks very useful at first glance, but trying use it, it becomes a little tedious. It insists on a file specifying the output format, with a line for EVERY column, even though some examples do not show this occurring. Surely you could allow it to default to all columns in default format?

    Any suggestions?

    thanks
    john

[...]

  4. Re: SQL (ISQL) question:

    John,

    Haven't a clue about making it better, but why not write a program to do
    enough dbinfo calls, since Ray is dumping an Image DB, to create a script
    to feed to ISQL? Sounds automated enough

    Michael Berkowitz
    Project Manager, CGS Application Solutions
    707 Wilshire Blvd Suite 1900
    Los Angeles, CA 90017-3509
    T: 213 614-1308
    F: 213 614-2028
    mberkowitz@cgsinc.com

    Re: [HP3000-L] SQL (ISQL) question:

    John Pitman
    to:
    HP3000-L
    09/23/2008 04:02 PM

    Sent by:
    HP-3000 Systems Discussion
    Please respond to John Pitman

[...]

  5. Re: SQL (ISQL) question:

    Hi All
    I replied privately to Ray with a bit of my usual weird humor...

    But Seriously... If you are dumping a data set to feed another
    process... Or an entire database.... SuprTool is your Friend!!!!

    While the archives may be down... I think Robelle still has a short
    paper I wrote some time ago about how to change Area Codes using
    SuprTool in an SRN IRIS database. (for when you get a "new" area code)

    Art Bahrs, CISSP
    Security Engineer
    Providence Health & Services
    Arthur.Bahrs@Providence.org
    Phone: 503-216-2722

[...]

    DISCLAIMER:

  6. Re: SQL (ISQL) question:

    Michael,
    We have written something similar in C to dump directly on the 3000....withdifferent field specs available, so it's a bit moot. Still useful to know,and yes, it would be easy to automate the spec file building.

    john

    John,

    Haven't a clue about making it better, but why not write a program to do enough dbinfo calls, since Ray is dumping an Image DB, to create a script to feed to ISQL? Sounds automated enough

    Michael Berkowitz
    Project Manager, CGS Application Solutions
    707 Wilshire Blvd Suite 1900
    Los Angeles, CA 90017-3509
    T: 213 614-1308
    F: 213 614-2028
    mberkowitz@cgsinc.com

    [cid:_1_0692E2000692DE18007F5AD8882574CD]

[...]

  7. Re: SQL (ISQL) question:

    I think Ray should also look at the SET command. Look for SET OUTPUT. You
    can also specify the width of the output with SET PAGEWIDTH.

    Denys

[...]

    4:08 PM

  8. Re: SQL (ISQL) question:

    Michael,
    Apologies, we misunderstood the output spec file usage - it is created by the Unload process, and shows what it did. Its not an input to the process. Much more friendly now than we first thought....