JINETD and Other NICs - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on JINETD and Other NICs - Hewlett Packard ; When one configures other network cards in NMMGR and tie them to other LAN names and IP addresses, does one have to tell the INETD configuration anything or does it just "know" by itself? Tracy Johnson Business Analyst Measurement Specialties, ...

  1. JINETD and Other NICs

    When one configures other network cards in NMMGR and tie them to other
    LAN names and IP addresses, does one have to tell the INETD
    configuration anything or does it just "know" by itself?

    Tracy Johnson
    Business Analyst
    Measurement Specialties, Inc.
    1000 Lucas Way
    Hampton, VA 23666
    Office 1-757-766-4318
    tracy.johnson@meas-spec.com
    www.meas-spec.com

  2. Re: JINETD and Other NICs

    Jinetd deals with inbound traffic. The inetd.conf file associates services
    to programs and environments. It really knows nothing of multiple NICs.

    The file services.net.sys is the one that associates these services to
    various ports and even that is not specified by NIC.

    Denys

    When one configures other network cards in NMMGR and tie them to other
    LAN names and IP addresses, does one have to tell the INETD
    configuration anything or does it just "know" by itself?

    Tracy Johnson
    Business Analyst
    Measurement Specialties, Inc.
    1000 Lucas Way
    Hampton, VA 23666
    Office 1-757-766-4318
    tracy.johnson@meas-spec.com
    www.meas-spec.com

    8:25 AM

  3. Re: JINETD and Other NICs

    Hello Tracy,

    The service daemon's INETD and DSDAD should not need to be restarted, nor
    should the network or system (unless the hardware card is not already
    installed).

    Adding a networking configuration for an existing network card and
    ":netcontrol start;net=" will create the NIC driver data structures,
    establish a "new" buffer pool if necessary and create the TCP & IP data
    structures.

    Once this is complete the NIC driver will perform a DMA write of a received
    frame to the network buffer pool and the driver will pass the buffer pointer
    (based on the value in the Ethernet frame type field) to IP who will pass
    the buffer pointer (based on the value in the IP datagram protocol field) to
    TCP who will pass the buffer pointer a service daemon who has a select on
    the port (based on the value in the TCP packet destination port field). The
    service daemon will then fork (or o.s. dependant createproc) or internally
    provide the requested service. It is at this point that the forked/created
    service copies the data from the network buffer pointer to the user stack
    via a "receive" command and the buffer pointer is returned to the driver for
    re-use.

    The only reason I would see to restart the service daemon INETD would be if
    changes were necessary because allow/deny was specified in
    inetdsec.net.sys. I did not find in the documentation if it was necessary
    to stop/restart inetd for this case or not.

    Regards,
    James Hofmeister

    When one configures other network cards in NMMGR and tie them to other
    LAN names and IP addresses, does one have to tell the INETD
    configuration anything or does it just "know" by itself?

    Tracy Johnson
    Business Analyst
    Measurement Specialties, Inc.
    1000 Lucas Way
    Hampton, VA 23666
    Office 1-757-766-4318
    tracy.johnson@meas-spec.com
    www.meas-spec.com

  4. Re: JINETD and Other NICs

    Woohoo!

    (I did have to add the NIC cards, so I did a reboot this Sunday anyway.)

    In effect I connected two HP3000s with a crossover cable on the extra
    NICs.
    And it is working fine with the Netbase Shadowing product.

    Tracy Johnson
    Business Analyst
    Measurement Specialties, Inc.
    1000 Lucas Way
    Hampton, VA 23666
    Office 1-757-766-4318
    tracy.johnson@meas-spec.com
    www.meas-spec.com

  5. Re: JINETD and Other NICs

    We always recommended against cross over cables.

    Watch your link statistics and if you see problems, be prepared to install a
    switch between those 2 system's.

    Regards,
    James Hofmeister

    (I did have to add the NIC cards, so I did a reboot this Sunday anyway.)

    In effect I connected two HP3000s with a crossover cable on the extra
    NICs.
    And it is working fine with the Netbase Shadowing product.

    Tracy Johnson
    Business Analyst
    Measurement Specialties, Inc.
    1000 Lucas Way
    Hampton, VA 23666
    Office 1-757-766-4318
    tracy.johnson@meas-spec.com
    www.meas-spec.com

  6. Re: JINETD and Other NICs

    I have reason to believe that it is because some folks home made their
    crossover cables and were therefore inherently unreliable, or built with
    false assumptions on the correct pin outs.

    Our cable is factory built.