Re: OT: Pay cap in Gov't - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: OT: Pay cap in Gov't - Hewlett Packard ; I remember... I don't think it matters anyway, between speaking engagements and legal bribery they probably make more than the salary they get. On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 08:55:11 -0700, Craig Lalley wrote: >--- On Mon, 9/8/08, Brice Yokem wrote: ...

  1. Re: OT: Pay cap in Gov't

    wrote:

    >--- On Mon, 9/8/08, Brice Yokem wrote:
    >

    >> I would suggest the pay of the public officials be set by
    >> the constituancy who elected them. At this point I think the pay is
    >> Federally mandated.

    >Brice,
    >
    >If you are old enough to remember, prior to 1989 congress and the senate

    had to vote themselves pay raises. This of course aroused negative public
    interest, every two years... so to work around it.

    >"Under a complex system adopted in 1989, raises for Senator and

    Representatives are applied automatically unless a vote is taken to block
    them. These unpublicized, procedural votes typically take place late in the
    session -- and late at night."

    >Our representatives have gone so far as to raise the salary of the VP and

    Pres, because the constitution does not allow them to make more than the
    President.

    >-Craig

  2. OT: Pay cap in Gov't

    --- On Mon, 9/8/08, Brice Yokem wrote:

    > I remember... I don't think it matters anyway, between
    > speaking engagements and legal bribery they probably make more than
    > the salary they get.

    I used to live in Dennis Hasterts district.

    It always amazed me, he was a high school teacher before going to Washington.

    He was in office from 1997 to 2007 and retired a multi-millionaire. He did it on a salary of 135k to 150k.

    -Craig

  3. Re: OT: Pay cap in Gov't

    But our elected officials protect our interests!!

    "Today's necessary but likely very expensive action for taxpayers is the
    consequence of regulatory neglect and of a broader political system's
    reluctance to take on what should have been clearly seen as festering
    problems."
    LAWRENCE
    H. SUMMERS, a former Treasury secretary, on the bailout of Fannie Mae and
    Freddie Mac.

    John Lee

    2d83f7.jpg