I suggest the type of training is an issue.
Would you agree military type training has
more to do with reacting the way you were
instructed, than a type of job that requires
you to 'think outside the box'?

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 07:55:48 -0700, Bahrs, Art
wrote:

>Hi James
> Hmmm.... Interesting concept for combat operations .... Awake for
>only 8 hours... Even in training operations and "non-combat ops" in
>Panama we were regularly going for 30+ hours... There even used to be a
>manual (FM) for the US Army titled "Continuous Operations" that dealt
>with how to handle the effects of lack of sleep to be able to be
>effective without sleep.
>
> I need to go research the studies you cite... They seem to be a bit
>extreme... But could be right... I know that I sleep 5 hours a night and
>don't seem to be suffering a loss of almost half of my baseline
>cognitive abilities... Tho' my "Better Half" might disagree with me
>hehehe
>
> The U.S. Army recommends 4 hours of sleep per 24 hours... And I must
>admit that after about 36 hours awake... I have to write things down to
>remember them for longer than about 30 minutes I have no clue what
>the record for going without sleep is but after about 72 hours... I am
>toast and write everything down and still forget to look at what I
>wrote... Sigh... Must be why I retired from the military
>

>Thanks,
>Art
>Art Bahrs, CISSP
>Security Engineer
>Providence Health & Services
>Arthur.Bahrs@Providence.org
>Phone: 503-216-2722

information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. If you are not the addressee you are hereby notified thatyou
may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute to anyone the message or any
information contained in the message. If you have received this message in
error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete this
message.