Re: OT: Pay cap in Gov't - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: OT: Pay cap in Gov't - Hewlett Packard ; I would suggest the pay of the public officials be set by the constituancy who elected them. At this point I think the pay is Federally mandated. On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 10:47:19 -0400, Connie Sellitto wrote: >Hello Blanchard - ...

  1. Re: OT: Pay cap in Gov't

    I would suggest the pay of the public officials be set by the constituancy
    who elected them. At this point I think the pay is Federally mandated.

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 10:47:19 -0400, Connie Sellitto wrote:

    >Hello Blanchard -
    >If I may ask, where do you live, that you can get by on $70,000?
    >Certainly not New Jersey, and not with a family! Setting caps on
    >salaries curbs incentive. If government officials had to live on
    >that salary, only the rich would run for office. (Even more so than
    >happens now...)
    >
    >As far as a 'descent education' - I believe you meant 'decent'? And
    >I believe this subject warrants an 'OT'.
    >
    >My 2 cents...
    >
    >>In my opinion there should be NO ONE in our government making over
    >>$70,000 a year.
    >>
    >>They are not doing what should be done...They are not being diligent

    enough...

    >>We should not have people who cannot get a descent education

    >--
    >Connie Sellitto
    >Programmer/Analyst
    >732-528-9797 ext 18
    >+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

  2. OT: Pay cap in Gov't

    --- On Mon, 9/8/08, Brice Yokem wrote:

    > I would suggest the pay of the public officials be set by
    > the constituancy who elected them. At this point I think the pay is
    > Federally mandated.

    Brice,

    If you are old enough to remember, prior to 1989 congress and the senate had to vote themselves pay raises. This of course aroused negative public interest, every two years... so to work around it.

    "Under a complex system adopted in 1989, raises for Senator and Representatives are applied automatically unless a vote is taken to block them. These unpublicized, procedural votes typically take place late in the session -- and late at night."

    Our representatives have gone so far as to raise the salary of the VP and Pres, because the constitution does not allow them to make more than the President.

    -Craig