Re: Ultraedit - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: Ultraedit - Hewlett Packard ; I like QEDIT better for text editing, also, Ultraedit has an annoying habit of treating every file as an ultraedit file. Maybe that needed to be configured out, but I don't have it any more. On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 ...

  1. Re: Ultraedit

    I like QEDIT better for text editing, also, Ultraedit has an annoying
    habit of treating every file as an ultraedit file. Maybe that needed
    to be configured out, but I don't have it any more.

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 09:37:06 +0100, Tony Tibbenham
    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >All this talk of UE 14 prompted some googling. In my multi-decade
    >career I had not heard of this great editor. Thank you for the
    >pointer.
    >
    >For now I shall stick with Notepad2 on my windows boxes but if our
    >little HP lasts much longer I shall buy this cross-platform editor.
    >
    >Tony

  2. Re: Ultraedit

    As a cross-platform editor, UE has worked extremely well for me for 4+ years
    now. My only chagrin is that I didn't start using it sooner. I very rarely
    edit on the 3000 now, except when it's just a few lines. CLI editors are
    pretty much all the same, it's really up to whatever you're comfortable with
    and what fits the platform best. PC editors are far more powerful and much
    easier to use; they have the same interface regardless of the underlying
    platform and as such you are instantly productive regardless of the
    platform.

    UE pulls in the file that you want and allows you to work immediately. Many
    people here are put off by vi on HP-UX, and while I can work with it I much
    prefer to use UE to do that work. As such I have been using it for MPE as
    well for some years now.

    I don't understand what you mean by UE treating every file as a UE file.
    Unless... Do you mean that when you double-clicked on a file UE would start
    up and open it for you? If that's the case, that's easily curable and yes,
    you installed it wrong.

    Denys...

    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >All this talk of UE 14 prompted some googling. In my multi-decade
    >career I had not heard of this great editor. Thank you for the
    >pointer.
    >
    >For now I shall stick with Notepad2 on my windows boxes but if our
    >little HP lasts much longer I shall buy this cross-platform editor.
    >
    >Tony

    7:01 AM

  3. Re: Ultraedit

    Don't get me wrong. I prefer Qedit and Qedit for Windows to edit files on MPE and HP-UX. Then again, I'm a little bit biased since I've been a Robellian for many years.

    I use UltraEdit to access other non-MPE/non-HPUX systems. It makes things easier when I need to move files to/from MPE or when I need features missing from Qedit.

    Thanks...François

    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >All this talk of UE 14 prompted some googling. In my multi-decade
    >career I had not heard of this great editor. Thank you for the
    >pointer.
    >
    >For now I shall stick with Notepad2 on my windows boxes but if our
    >little HP lasts much longer I shall buy this cross-platform editor.
    >
    >Tony

    Remarque - Cette transmission est pour l'usage exclusif du ou des destinataires indiqués et peut contenir de l'information confidentielle ou protégée. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire indiqué, veuillez supprimer cette transmission ainsi que tout fichier joint et aviser l'expéditeur par courriel immédiatement. Toute révision, utilisation, divulgation ou distribution non autorisée est interdite.

    Notice: This transmission is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this transmission and any attachments and notify the sender by return email immediately. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.