Using HP 50g with OSX - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Using HP 50g with OSX - Hewlett Packard ; I'm wondering if someone can tell me what the reccommended way of communicating between a 50g and OSX is? I found HPConnect but it hung when I used it (well I think I was at fault as I stuffed up ...

  1. Using HP 50g with OSX

    I'm wondering if someone can tell me what the reccommended way of
    communicating between a 50g and OSX is?

    I found HPConnect but it hung when I used it (well I think I was at
    fault as I stuffed up the settings on the 50g, but it did require a
    reboot of my laptop to recover and I'm not keen on that sort of thing)

    Is it possible to use a vanilla Kermit or Xmodem xfer program? If
    so, does anyone have any reccommendations?

    And once I've got that functioning can anyone reccommend any OSX-side
    tools that are useful (I've already found Emu48) and have some tips on
    how they can be put together in a tool-chain?

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: Using HP 50g with OSX

    With all these newer computers around, always better and less
    compatible with "old" transfer software,
    I've found myself using Emu48 as my primary tool to send/receive files
    from/to my old HP48SX.

    This might not help you however, as i'm not sure they kept any serial
    connection into HP50G.
    It seems a generic answer to HP50G transfer questions is always to
    "use a memory card reader".

  3. Re: Using HP 50g with OSX

    Le 01 September 2008, james.mullens@gmail.com a crit :
    > Is it possible to use a vanilla Kermit or Xmodem xfer program? If
    > so, does anyone have any reccommendations?

    I don't know for MacOSX.

    Linux has a so called Generic Serial driver. When connecting the
    HP49g+/50g to the system, the driver register and you can use the device
    file /dev/ttyUSB0 as a serial device. Then, you can use your usual
    Kermit or Xmodem transfer program; just replace /dev/ttyS0 by
    /dev/ttyUSB0 in your configuration.

    Does anyone know if MacOSX has a USB Serial driver?

  4. Re: Using HP 50g with OSX

    james.mullens@gmail.com writes:

    > I'm wondering if someone can tell me what the reccommended way of
    > communicating between a 50g and OSX is?
    >
    > I found HPConnect but it hung when I used it (well I think I was at
    > fault as I stuffed up the settings on the 50g, but it did require a
    > reboot of my laptop to recover and I'm not keen on that sort of thing)
    >
    > Is it possible to use a vanilla Kermit or Xmodem xfer program? If
    > so, does anyone have any reccommendations?
    >
    > And once I've got that functioning can anyone reccommend any OSX-side
    > tools that are useful (I've already found Emu48) and have some tips on
    > how they can be put together in a tool-chain?

    I've used miniterm + rzsz (Z-modem) with my HP48GX... works
    fine, but I needed (obviously) a USB/RS232 adapter to connect my
    MacBook Pro to my HP48GX.

    Not sure if this will work with an HP50G, which (AFAIK) has a
    USB interface.

  5. Re: Using HP 50g with OSX

    On Sep 1, 11:42*am, Raymond Wiker wrote:
    > * * * * Not sure if this will work with an HP50G, which (AFAIK) has a
    > USB interface.

    50g has a serial port and it works with Kermit just fine. However you
    need a cable. You can obtain a cable here: http://commerce.hpcalc.org/serialcable.php

    Keyspan make an OS/X compliant USB-Serial device.

    I know its extra HW, but it should work if HPConnect will not.

  6. Re: Using HP 50g with OSX

    Khanh-Dang wrote:

    > Does anyone know if MacOSX has a USB Serial driver?

    Not sure if this answers your question (since I haven't tried with an HP
    50g) but I use a keyspan (www.keyspan.com) USB to serial adapter and it
    works just fine on Mac OS X (Leopard); it comes with its own driver.

    --Sylvain

  7. Re: Using HP 50g with OSX

    Hi,

    to me HPConnect is still the way to go, although it is _very_ edgy.
    You have to always make sure the XModem server on the calc is running
    (press right shift, then right arrow - don't hold!), it should show
    XModem Server Waiting for Command. In case something goes wrong (****
    happens), restart the XModdem server before you do anything in
    HPConnect.

    Right now I'm not having problems force quitting it when it hangs; if
    you have disconnecting the calc might help (this is generic; I need to
    do this when my scanner crashes).

    still, probably the easiest way is to get a cheap sd card reader &
    card - you'll need those anyway in order to do a calculator firmware
    upgrade.

    hope this helps,
    Matthias

    On Sep 1, 9:45 am, james.mull...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm wondering if someone can tell me what the reccommended way of
    > communicating between a 50g and OSX is?
    >
    > I found HPConnect but it hung when I used it (well I think I was at
    > fault as I stuffed up the settings on the 50g, but it did require a
    > reboot of my laptop to recover and I'm not keen on that sort of thing)
    >
    > Is it possible to use a vanilla Kermit or Xmodem xfer program? If
    > so, does anyone have any reccommendations?
    >
    > And once I've got that functioning can anyone reccommend any OSX-side
    > tools that are useful (I've already found Emu48) and have some tips on
    > how they can be put together in a tool-chain?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

  8. Re: Using HP 50g with OSX

    G'gay,

    I have a HP 50g and an Intel mac which runs OS 10.5. I use a nice
    little program which is called HP Connect. It is freely available from
    the following web site:

    hpconnect.sourceforge.net

    regards,

    vkg

    james.mull...@gmail.com :
    > I'm wondering if someone can tell me what the reccommended way of
    > communicating between a 50g and OSX is?
    >
    > I found HPConnect but it hung when I used it (well I think I was at
    > fault as I stuffed up the settings on the 50g, but it did require a
    > reboot of my laptop to recover and I'm not keen on that sort of thing)
    >
    > Is it possible to use a vanilla Kermit or Xmodem xfer program? If
    > so, does anyone have any reccommendations?
    >
    > And once I've got that functioning can anyone reccommend any OSX-side
    > tools that are useful (I've already found Emu48) and have some tips on
    > how they can be put together in a tool-chain?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

+ Reply to Thread