HP48 user feedback requested - Library Builder tool - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP48 user feedback requested - Library Builder tool - Hewlett Packard ; Hello everyone Some time ago, i've expressed some interest in creating "automatically compressed libraries" for HP48, because one of my software was becoming quite huge for this calculator. Although i've read many times that such a thing is possible with ...

  1. HP48 user feedback requested - Library Builder tool

    Hello everyone

    Some time ago, i've expressed some interest in creating "automatically
    compressed libraries" for HP48, because one of my software was
    becoming quite huge for this calculator.

    Although i've read many times that such a thing is possible with HP49,
    probably thanks to MetaKernel, I could not find any equivalent tool
    for HP48.
    It's very likely that i did not looked hard enough, but in the end,
    out of despair, i had to produce a Library Builder tool for this
    purpose.

    It's named MkLibZ, as it is based on MkLib from Detlef Muller.
    You can download it here :
    http://mklibz.webhop.org

    So far so good, latest version (v0.4c) seems to work fine with the
    tested sample softwares, with typical savings up to 30%, and
    negligible decompression time.
    At this stage, i'm willing to collect user feedbacks, in order to
    improve the software, and look for any bug that may eventually have
    slipped through.

    Would any HP48 user be interested ?

    Regards

    Yann

  2. Re: HP48 user feedback requested - Library Builder tool

    Hello,

    I did something similar for the 49G quite some time ago. Maybe you
    want to take a look at my site at http://www.software49g.gmxhome.de/En...ite01.htm#Komp

    For sure the new inform engine (IfMain) has to be switched back to
    DoInputForm and compression has to be adjusted for the 48. It examines
    each ROMPTR, checks if the compressed file (including the overhead for
    decompression) is smaller than the original file, measures the time
    for decompression and rebuilds a compressed lib at the end (of course
    this only works with libs that are created the "standard way" and are
    not protected against splitting).

    HTH,
    Andreas

  3. Re: HP48 user feedback requested - Library Builder tool

    Indeed Andreas, i consulted your solution some time ago, when i was
    hoping to find something ready-to-use.

    And this was nearly *exactly* what i was looking for.

    As you can guess, the only critical problem was that "Compression Aid"
    only works for HP49/50,
    and alas my primary target system was (and still is) HP48. too bad...

    That being said, "Compression Aid" still has a pretty important
    feature that i wish MkLibZ could have :
    "Compression Aid" runs directly on an existing (installed?) Library,
    which means it can compress *any* existing Library (which, i guess,
    should be created using "CRLIB").

    MkLibZ is only able to compress during the building process.
    So it is not working on an already-compiled library.
    A work around could be to use the splitter feature (LIB->D), but it
    does not work well with libraries built straight from the compiler,
    which means the majority of the "good" libraries out there.

    So i guess, MkLibZ can be considered a usefull "Library Builder", but
    certainly not a "Library Compressor".

    I believe however that such a feature is not impossible to program,
    even for HP48...

+ Reply to Thread