Unable to Print PDFs in China - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Unable to Print PDFs in China - Hewlett Packard ; One of our machines here generates PDFs and distributes them via e-mail. We can read them and print them here, but for some reason our recipients in China can not. Has anyone ever heard such a thing? Actually, I suspect ...

  1. Unable to Print PDFs in China

    One of our machines here generates PDFs and distributes them via e-mail.

    We can read them and print them here, but for some reason our recipients
    in China can not.

    Has anyone ever heard such a thing?

    Actually, I suspect illegal copies of Acrobat or Windoze but I can't
    tell from here, and why would they admit it?

    Tracy Johnson
    Measurement Specialties Inc.
    BT

    NNNN

  2. Re: Unable to Print PDFs in China

    > We can read them and print them here, but for some reason our recipients
    > in China can not.

    What's the error message?

    > Actually, I suspect illegal copies of Acrobat or Windoze but I can't
    > tell from here, and why would they admit it?

    Acrobat Reader is free. Why would they steal it? ;-)

    Mark W.

  3. Re: Unable to Print PDFs in China

    Error message? Who said anything about an error message?

    Simply no print option is available.

    Tracy Johnson
    Measurement Specialties Inc.
    BT

    NNNN

  4. Re: Unable to Print PDFs in China

    In message
    <63BAF5D9208191419BB53387E0D8B3476FD3DC@HAM-MAIL01.noam.msiusa.com>,
    "Johnson, Tracy" writes
    >One of our machines here generates PDFs and distributes them via e-mail.
    >
    >We can read them and print them here, but for some reason our recipients
    >in China can not.
    >
    >Has anyone ever heard such a thing?

    Yes. When I was at a large film company in London, we would send out
    pdfs, and customers would sometimes report them unreadable.

    Sometimes they were unreadable even on our server; but 9 times out of 10
    they were fine there. We would ask the customers getting the unreadable
    pdfs to copy them back to us, and we would find that we could not read
    what we got back. So we took to cc:ing ourselves on some of those to the
    customers reporting problems, and our copy would be fine, but theirs
    not.

    We had to put it down to their setup :-(

    It is a truth universally to be acknowledged that antivirus companies
    don't really understand email well enough to be allowed to mess with it,
    either on sending or receiving.

    And indeed, in the support group for the Turnpike email system, where I
    am a frequent responder, 9 out of 10 problems reported with sending or
    receiving emails are down to the use of antivirus products.

    I did help nail one specific problem with AVG, bang to rights, and I was
    *not* impressed with AVG's response, or rather lack of it.

    But Bullguard, Symantec, etc.... are not immune.

    Have your Chinese recipients got an AV in their email receiving loop?
    I'd expect so. And if so, can they disable it, while they get your pdfs,
    at least?

    >Actually, I suspect illegal copies of Acrobat or Windoze but I can't
    >tell from here, and why would they admit it?

    Re Acrobat, why would anyone need an illegal copy of free software, or
    is it blocked in China?

    And re Windoze, I hear the warez copies may actually work better.... :-)

    Roy
    --
    Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
    Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris

  5. Re: Unable to Print PDFs in China

    To clarify, they can READ them on screen but not PRINT them.

    Which I find extremely odd.

    Tracy Johnson
    Measurement Specialties Inc.
    BT

    NNNN

  6. Re: Unable to Print PDFs in China

    > > Actually, I suspect illegal copies of Acrobat or Windoze but I can't
    > > tell from here, and why would they admit it?

    > Acrobat Reader is free. Why would they steal it? ;-)
    >
    > Mark W.

    Although you may thought I implied "Reader", I didn't actually specify
    it.

    When I meant illegal Acrobat, you may assume an illegal full Pro
    version.

    Tracy Johnson
    Measurement Specialties Inc.
    BT

    NNNN

  7. Re: Unable to Print PDFs in China

    My copy of the full pro version of Acrobat contains two different types of
    print drivers Acrobat Distiller and Acrobat PDFWriter. Are those files
    present on the computer?

    Charles Finley
    619-795-0720

    database 3385 (20080825) __________

    http://www.eset.com

  8. Re: Unable to Print PDFs in China

    Understood. Since we're the creator, we know we are not setting this
    flag.

    However, even if the security flag were unknown, riddle me this then
    Batman:

    If a user can print it here out of an e-mail attachment, and all the
    same user does is forward it without modifying it, then the next user
    should also be able to print it, no?

    Tracy Johnson
    Measurement Specialties Inc.
    BT

    NNNN

  9. Re: Unable to Print PDFs in China

    In message
    <63BAF5D9208191419BB53387E0D8B3476FD3EA@HAM-MAIL01.noam.msiusa.com>,
    "Johnson, Tracy" writes

    Tracy said:

    >We can read them and print them here, but for some reason our
    >recipients in China can not.

    and:

    >To clarify, they can READ them on screen but not PRINT them.

    and:

    >Error message? Who said anything about an error message?
    >Simply no print option is available.

    and:

    >Although you may thought I implied "Reader", I didn't actually specify
    >it.
    >When I meant illegal Acrobat, you may assume an illegal full Pro
    >version.

    Qualified like a true user :-)

    So; they *can* read but they *can't* print. Not ~quite~ what you first
    described.

    And the print option does not error, but is 'not available'.

    How 'not available'?

    Not on the menu?
    Greyed out?
    Ctrl-P does not work?
    Can they print other pdfs, or none at all? (i.e. no printer drivers
    loaded, or none that are pdf-capable for Western documents?)

    And it's not the Acrobat we thought it was. But how about if they tried
    it with just the Acrobat reader, not the Pro version?

    Or is it, perhaps, in a reversal of the usual Chinese situation that
    this Acrobat is too old to compete, rather than too young?

    i.e. have they got the same Acrobat Pro you have?

    And finally:

    >If a user can print it here out of an e-mail attachment, and all the
    >same user does is forward it without modifying it, then the next user
    >should also be able to print it, no?

    As per my first reply, not if it gets screwed up in transit, no, by
    antivirus software or whatever. Perhaps the Chinese equivalent of
    Homeland Security aren't repacking it carefully enough after opening it
    for scrutiny?

    But a good plan here would be to have one of your Chinese recipients
    forward such a problem pdf email back to you, and for you to then see if
    you could read that.

    If not, a simple byte-by-byte comparison with the original might reveal
    where the issue had crept in.

    And it's not often you get to play a real-life game of 'Chinese
    Whispers' :-)

    Roy

    --
    Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
    Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris

  10. Re: Unable to Print PDFs in China

    After contacting our Chinese recipient's higher ups in the IT Dept.,
    they seemed to have solved their PDF printing problem.

    Tracy Johnson
    Measurement Specialties Inc.
    BT

    NNNN

  11. Re: Unable to Print PDFs in China

    Roy Brown helps:

    They didn't say, (but neither did I ask), given a 24 hour turn-around
    time vis-a-vis question/response, knowing what to ask is oftentimes
    difficult.

    However when they said they fixed it, they fixed it without explanation.
    It could have been a training issue for all I know.