Toggle Soft Keys hp 49g+ - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Toggle Soft Keys hp 49g+ - Hewlett Packard ; On the hp 49g+ using USER RPL, how would I create multiple soft key assignments like those in the BASE menu? Specifically, I would like to create a soft key menu that contains a key that I could toggle through ...

  1. Toggle Soft Keys hp 49g+

    On the hp 49g+ using USER RPL, how
    would I create multiple soft key assignments
    like those in the BASE menu? Specifically, I
    would like to create a soft key menu that contains
    a key that I could toggle through 4 choices
    including 1/2", 1/4", 1/8", and 1/16", depending
    on the tolerance I want to set. The different
    choices would be displayed on the corresponding
    soft key label. Each key press would set a
    different user flag that would be used in a
    case statement.

  2. Re: Toggle Soft Keys hp 49g+

    On Aug 23, 9:15*pm, mnhollin...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On the hp 49g+ using USER RPL, how
    > would I create multiple soft key assignments
    > like those in the BASE menu? Specifically, I
    > would like to create a soft key menu that contains
    > a key that I could toggle through 4 choices
    > including 1/2", 1/4", 1/8", and 1/16", depending
    > on the tolerance I want to set. The different
    > choices would be displayed on the corresponding
    > soft key label. Each key press would set a
    > different user flag that would be used in a
    > case statement.

    Quirky thing, I entered a test program into my calculator
    << { { "1/2" } } TMENU >> and got the expected result.
    But, when I inserted a double quote for inches, I get
    { { "1/2" " } } TMENU<- >> " } } in stack level one. The
    <- character I use here is actually the return character.
    How do I solve that one? Getting back to the original
    problem, if the menu label takes a string as an
    argument, how do I assign multiple strings that
    I will toggle through? It doesn't look like I can assign
    a CASE statement as a soft key argument because
    the calculator will display the entire string in the
    menu label. Does this mean I have to have 4
    different TMENU's, one for each press of the
    soft key? That doesn't seem reasonable to me, so
    that's why I'm asking for help.

  3. Re: Toggle Soft Keys hp 49g+

    On Aug 24, 12:20*pm, mnhollin...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Aug 23, 9:15*pm, mnhollin...@yahoo.com wrote:> On the hp 49g+ using USER RPL, how
    > > would I create multiple soft key assignments
    > > like those in the BASE menu? Specifically, I
    > > would like to create a soft key menu that contains
    > > a key that I could toggle through 4 choices
    > > including 1/2", 1/4", 1/8", and 1/16", depending
    > > on the tolerance I want to set. The different
    > > choices would be displayed on the corresponding
    > > soft key label. Each key press would set a
    > > different user flag that would be used in a
    > > case statement.

    > Quirky thing, I entered a test program into my calculator
    > << { { "1/2" } } TMENU >> and got the expected result.
    > But, when I inserted a double quote for inches, I get
    > { { "1/2" " } } TMENU<- >> " } } in stack level one. The
    > <- character I use here is actually the return character.
    > How do I solve that one? Getting back to the original
    > problem, if the menu label takes a string as an
    > argument, how do I assign multiple strings that
    > I will toggle through? It doesn't look like I can assign
    > a CASE statement as a soft key argument because
    > the calculator will display the entire string in the
    > menu label. Does this mean I have to have 4
    > different TMENU's, one for each press of the
    > soft key? That doesn't seem reasonable to me, so
    > that's why I'm asking for help.

    you'd better learn how to ask NICELY

  4. Re: Toggle Soft Keys hp 49g+

    How about using graphics e.g., a small GROB as a label

    wrote in message
    On Aug 23, 9:15 pm, mnhollin...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On the hp 49g+ using USER RPL, how
    > would I create multiple soft key assignments
    > like those in the BASE menu? Specifically, I
    > would like to create a soft key menu that contains
    > a key that I could toggle through 4 choices
    > including 1/2", 1/4", 1/8", and 1/16", depending
    > on the tolerance I want to set. The different
    > choices would be displayed on the corresponding
    > soft key label. Each key press would set a
    > different user flag that would be used in a
    > case statement.

    Quirky thing, I entered a test program into my calculator
    << { { "1/2" } } TMENU >> and got the expected result.
    But, when I inserted a double quote for inches, I get
    { { "1/2" " } } TMENU<- >> " } } in stack level one. The
    <- character I use here is actually the return character.
    How do I solve that one? Getting back to the original
    problem, if the menu label takes a string as an
    argument, how do I assign multiple strings that
    I will toggle through? It doesn't look like I can assign
    a CASE statement as a soft key argument because
    the calculator will display the entire string in the
    menu label. Does this mean I have to have 4
    different TMENU's, one for each press of the
    soft key? That doesn't seem reasonable to me, so
    that's why I'm asking for help.

  5. Re: Toggle Soft Keys hp 49g+

    mnhollinger@yahoo.com schrieb:

    > But, when I inserted a double quote for inches, I get
    > { { "1/2" " } } TMENU<- >> " } } in stack level one.

    You could use two single quotes: [alpha] [right shift] [EQW]

    George

  6. Re: Toggle Soft Keys hp 49g+

    On Aug 24, 10:20*am, George Bailey wrote:
    > mnhollin...@yahoo.com schrieb:
    >
    > > But, when I inserted a double quote for inches, I get
    > > { { "1/2" " } } TMENU<- >> " } } in stack level one.

    > You could use two single quotes: [alpha] [right shift] [EQW]

    The hp48 has a special string syntax to include " characters. To find
    out how it works, do:

    "A" 34 CHR + "B" +

    Then down-arrow to edit the string. It will appear as:

    C$3 A"B

  7. Re: Toggle Soft Keys hp 49g+

    On Aug 24, 2:08*am, "Veli-Pekka Nousiainen"
    wrote:
    > How about using graphics e.g., a small GROB as a label
    >
    > wrote in message

    > On Aug 23, 9:15 pm, mnhollin...@yahoo.com wrote:> On the hp 49g+ using USER RPL, how
    > > would I create multiple soft key assignments
    > > like those in the BASE menu? Specifically, I
    > > would like to create a soft key menu that contains
    > > a key that I could toggle through 4 choices
    > > including 1/2", 1/4", 1/8", and 1/16", depending
    > > on the tolerance I want to set. The different
    > > choices would be displayed on the corresponding
    > > soft key label. Each key press would set a
    > > different user flag that would be used in a
    > > case statement.

    > Quirky thing, I entered a test program into my calculator
    > << { { "1/2" } } TMENU >> and got the expected result.
    > But, when I inserted a double quote for inches, I get
    > { { "1/2" " } } TMENU<- >> " } } in stack level one. The
    > <- character I use here is actually the return character.
    > How do I solve that one? Getting back to the original
    > problem, if the menu label takes a string as an
    > argument, how do I assign multiple strings that
    > I will toggle through? It doesn't look like I can assign
    > a CASE statement as a soft key argument because
    > the calculator will display the entire string in the
    > menu label. Does this mean I have to have 4
    > different TMENU's, one for each press of the
    > soft key? That doesn't seem reasonable to me, so
    > that's why I'm asking for help.

    Thanks for the reply! Okay, so maybe create a soft key
    menu and leave the F1 label blank and use a 21x8 GROB
    instead? If I build a GROB beginning with GROB 21 8, what
    hex code would I use to display 1/2"? Is there a list out
    there that has all of the ASCII character codes and how
    to use them to build a GROB on the hp 49g+?

  8. Re: Toggle Soft Keys hp 49g+

    On Aug 24, 4:20*am, George Bailey wrote:
    > mnhollin...@yahoo.com schrieb:
    >
    > > But, when I inserted a double quote for inches, I get
    > > { { "1/2" " } } TMENU<- >> " } } in stack level one.

    > You could use two single quotes: [alpha] [right shift] [EQW]
    >
    > George

    Thanks for your reply! I guess the use of a double quote tells
    the calculator that I want to extend the string.

  9. Re: Toggle Soft Keys hp 49g+

    On Aug 24, 7:13*am, d...@thisisnotmyrealemail.com wrote:
    > On Aug 24, 10:20*am, George Bailey wrote:
    >
    > > mnhollin...@yahoo.com schrieb:

    > > > But, when I inserted a double quote for inches, I get
    > > > { { "1/2" " } } TMENU<- >> " } } in stack level one.

    > > You could use two single quotes: [alpha] [right shift] [EQW]

    > The hp48 has a special string syntax to include " characters. To find
    > out how it works, do:
    >
    > "A" 34 CHR + "B" +
    >
    > Then down-arrow to edit the string. It will appear as:
    >
    > C$3 A"B

    Thanks for your reply!

  10. Re: Toggle Soft Keys hp 49g+

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 21:20:08 -0500:

    > But, when I inserted a double quote for inches
    > { { "1/2" " } }

    An "unescaped" quotation character ["]
    either terminates a string or starts a new string.

    If editing on calc, type "1/2\"" into command line.

    If editing on computer,
    for import after 3 TRANSIO (translation mode 3,
    in which backslashes also need "escaping"), write "1/2\\""

    [r->] [OFF]

  11. Re: Toggle Soft Keys hp 49g+

    You can demonstrate that it will work on any label in a menu, e.g.:

    @ Sample menu, containing a label we want to toggle
    @ (don't worry, the actual label will be set later)
    { A B "0" C D E } TMENU

    3 'lbln' STO @ label number within current menu

    Etc.

    UserRPL is often underestimated,
    but its very visionary architects gave it much power,
    including SYSEVAL (unlocking most everything else

    [r->] [OFF]

+ Reply to Thread