Nvidia Univied Graphics Driver Update - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Nvidia Univied Graphics Driver Update - Hewlett Packard ; For weeks HP update has been telling me to download this item. I have tried it many times, and it never completes. After 5 to 20 minutes the update screen says "0 uploads completed." I'm running Vista Ultimate/64 on an ...

  1. Nvidia Univied Graphics Driver Update

    For weeks HP update has been telling me to download this
    item. I have tried it many times, and it never completes.
    After 5 to 20 minutes the update screen says "0 uploads
    completed."

    I'm running Vista Ultimate/64 on an HP Pavilion d4996t.

    Any enlightenment appreciated.

    --
    ----------
    CWLee

  2. Re: Nvidia Univied Graphics Driver Update

    "CWLee" wrote in news:gf6sk.72$z4.22201
    @okeanos.csu.net:

    > For weeks HP update has been telling me to download this
    > item. I have tried it many times, and it never completes.
    > After 5 to 20 minutes the update screen says "0 uploads
    > completed."
    >
    > I'm running Vista Ultimate/64 on an HP Pavilion d4996t.
    >
    > Any enlightenment appreciated.

    Did you try downloading it manually from the Nvidia website?

  3. Re: Nvidia Univied Graphics Driver Update

    "ShadowTek" wrote

    > Did you try downloading it manually from the Nvidia
    > website?

    No, this was via the HP Update process.

    Looking at the Nvidia website, it appears that one must have
    more information about this download than is provided by HP.

    By the way, I have no idea what Nvidia does on my computer;
    it may be that it affects only some program I have never
    used. Since everything else seems to work OK on my system I
    don't view getting this download as a high priority.

    Other thoughts?

    Thanks.

  4. Re: Nvidia Univied Graphics Driver Update

    CWLee wrote:
    > "ShadowTek" wrote
    >
    >> Did you try downloading it manually from the Nvidia
    >> website?

    > No, this was via the HP Update process.
    >
    > Looking at the Nvidia website, it appears that one must have
    > more information about this download than is provided by HP.
    >
    > By the way, I have no idea what Nvidia does on my computer;
    > it may be that it affects only some program I have never
    > used. Since everything else seems to work OK on my system I
    > don't view getting this download as a high priority.
    >
    > Other thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi, Here's a link to information about what Nvidia does and what the update
    does http://tinyurl.com/5lo8ww. Basically, Nvidia has a whole bunch of GPUs
    that have supposed faulty components that overheat. The update (BIOS)
    increases the fan speed attempting to keep the GPU cooler before failure.
    Nvidia's Web site will not have an update. The BIOS updates will all be on
    the manufacturer's Web pages... Dean

  5. Re: Nvidia Univied Graphics Driver Update

    "Dean-MN" wrote

    > Hi, Here's a link to information about what Nvidia does
    > and what the update does http://tinyurl.com/5lo8ww.

    Visited the site, and if I read it correctly what is said
    applies only to HP notebook computers, and mine is a
    desktop. The HP model numbers given as applicable do not
    include mine (d4996t).

    So ... any other comments/suggestions.

    Thanks.

  6. Re: Nvidia Univied Graphics Driver Update

    I tend to be very skeptical of the so-called update services pre-installed by
    name brand manufacturers, among them HP, Toshiba, Dell, and IBM/Lenovo. For the
    most part, they sit there and do nothing, as the manufacturer never issues any
    updates ever. Or they nag you to do something and a extremely vague about it.

    Since your computer is a desktop system, you can download and use the
    all-purpose video drivers from the nVidia web site. These work properly with
    recent nVidia desktop graphics chips in all brands of computers. (Laptop
    graphics can sometimes be a special case.)

    I have not done any research to see if nVidia desktop graphics are impacted by
    the GPU "flaws" as stated in another posting. Clearly, laptop graphics chips
    run in far more constrained spaces, and so they generally need very well
    designed ventilation. However, nVidia has a history of designing and selling
    chips that run hot. I have replaced a number nVidia graphics card in desktops
    and laptops simply because the hot-running chip eventually began to malfunction
    as a result of heat-induced breakdown of elements inside the chip.

    The laptop BIOS update to make the system cooling fans spin faster is a band-aid
    solution, but one that I have employed in particular on Dell laptops known to
    run hot. A laptop cooling fan, if and when it fails, is a lot less expensive to
    replace than an entire laptop motherboard... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 09:30:24 -0700, "CWLee" wrote:

    >"ShadowTek" wrote
    >
    >> Did you try downloading it manually from the Nvidia
    >> website?

    >No, this was via the HP Update process.
    >
    >Looking at the Nvidia website, it appears that one must have
    >more information about this download than is provided by HP.
    >
    >By the way, I have no idea what Nvidia does on my computer;
    >it may be that it affects only some program I have never
    >used. Since everything else seems to work OK on my system I
    >don't view getting this download as a high priority.
    >
    >Other thoughts?
    >
    >Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread