Re: The POSiX Animal On An MPE Box - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: The POSiX Animal On An MPE Box - Hewlett Packard ; My problem was only happening with bytestream files. I discovered that FOPEN wasn't working correctly in opening these file types. FOPEN apparently opened the file, returned a non zero positive file number but the file was nowhere to be found, ...

  1. Re: The POSiX Animal On An MPE Box

    My problem was only happening with bytestream files.

    I discovered that FOPEN wasn't working correctly in opening these file
    types. FOPEN apparently opened the file, returned a non zero positive
    file number but the file was nowhere to be found, not in the perm or temp
    directories.

    I had to replace the FOPEN with a call to HPFOPEN which works
    perfectly. Don't even specify the file limit and HPFOPEN builds the file
    with the correct flimit.

    I also discovered that the BUILD command won't build a bytestream file.
    I found a way around this -- wrote a utility that will build a bytestream
    file based upon user defined parms.

    Same with priv mode files. My little utility will build a bytestream or
    PM file based upon user defined parms (either in the perm or temp domains).

    I will offer a copy of this utility to anyone out there who wishes a copyof
    it.

    Let me know.

    Brian.

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:00:02 -0500, Michael wrote:

    >Actually signed 16 bit should be Compute my-signed-16-bit-nbr = (0 +
    >(16384 * 2)) - 1, unsigned ((0 + (16384 * 4) - 1.
    >
    >In any case 16 bit 32 bit and so on MOVE looks at the four digit
    >limit in s9(4) comp, where compute looks at the 16 bit limit.
    >
    >It's Ok to talk to yourself, as long as you don't answer your own
    >questions :-P
    >
    >I wrote:
    >> In the past I've used the Cobol Compute statement to get around this
    >> issue.
    >>
    >> Compute my-16-bit-nbr = 0 + 65.535

  2. Re: The POSiX Animal On An MPE Box

    Excuse me?

    :build denys1;rec=-1,,b,ascii;disc=2147483647
    :listf denys1,2
    ACCOUNT= DENYS GROUP= PUB

    FILENAME CODE ------------LOGICAL RECORD----------- ----SPACE----
    SIZE TYP EOF LIMIT R/B SECTORS #X MX

    DENYS1 1B BA 0 2147483647 1 0 0 *

    :listf denys1,3
    ********************
    FILE: DENYS1.PUB.DENYS

    FILE CODE : 0 FOPTIONS: ASCII,BYTESTREAM,NOCCTL,STD
    BLK FACTOR: 1 CREATOR : **
    REC SIZE: 1(BYTES) LOCKWORD: **
    BLK SIZE: 1(BYTES) SECURITY--READ : ANY
    EXT SIZE: 0(SECT) WRITE : ANY
    NUM REC: 0 APPEND : ANY
    NUM SEC: 0 LOCK : ANY
    NUM EXT: 0 EXECUTE : ANY
    MAX REC: 2147483647 **SECURITY IS ON
    FLAGS : NO ACCESSORS
    NUM LABELS: 0 CREATED : WED, AUG 20, 2008, 9:18 PM
    MAX LABELS: 0 MODIFIED: WED, AUG 20, 2008, 9:18 PM
    DISC DEV #: 3 ACCESSED: WED, AUG 20, 2008, 9:18 PM
    SEC OFFSET: 0 LABEL ADDR: **
    VOLCLASS : MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SETISC

    :

    wrote:

    >Actually signed 16 bit should be Compute my-signed-16-bit-nbr = (0 +
    >(16384 * 2)) - 1, unsigned ((0 + (16384 * 4) - 1.
    >
    >In any case 16 bit 32 bit and so on MOVE looks at the four digit
    >limit in s9(4) comp, where compute looks at the 16 bit limit.
    >
    >It's Ok to talk to yourself, as long as you don't answer your own
    >questions :-P
    >
    >I wrote:
    >> In the past I've used the Cobol Compute statement to get around this
    >> issue.
    >>
    >> Compute my-16-bit-nbr = 0 + 65.535

    7:11 PM