Security - FLDCLOCK - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Security - FLDCLOCK - Hewlett Packard ; Family biz bought a few HP SFF desktops (dc5700 ? with XP downgrade ) a few weeks ago and asked me to hook them up. For the receptionist PC , it's only used to connect to their server and wanted ...

  1. Security - FLDCLOCK

    Family biz bought a few HP SFF desktops (dc5700 ? with XP downgrade ) a
    few weeks ago and asked me to hook them up. For the receptionist PC , it's
    only used to connect to their server and wanted me to lock down the CD,usb
    ports ( so that PC could not write info to media and user could leave with
    it). I hadn't used HP business models before and saw in the HP security
    tools that they have a menu where you can choose to check/uncheck items to
    lock down - so while logged in as ADMIN, I checked cd,usb,1394 etc. Logged
    out of admin and logged on as user - seemed to do the job fine - user
    couldn't use them.

    It's been a few weeks and I stopped in for other reasons and noticed two
    things on that PC :

    1. In event log I see:
    FLCDLOCK events every 10 minutes - all day everyday. I found nothing
    online but then I guessed that it stands for FLOPPY , CD LOCKED ??? (
    there is no floppy on the pc but app probably been used for a while at
    HP ) Any guesses ?

    2. I logged off that PC as admin and logged on (to the server) as that
    user ( user account only on server - no local account for her). While
    logged in as user, I went into Control panel and could change those items.
    What good is THAT ?!! ( I know - I should have checked that originally
    but I THOUGHT I read via that PC's HELP (while setting up) that user needs
    privs on local PC to use that security menu). The reason for locking down
    was to NOT allow user to use the devices. If the user can change them -
    why bother ? User has no rights/account on local PC - only account is on
    server.

    Thanks for any feedback.

  2. Re: Security - FLCDLOCK

    oops - just noticed - title should be FLCDlock - changing

    "- Bobb -" wrote in message
    news:3JednUUXp_7lNzfVnZ2dnUVZ_gGdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Family biz bought a few HP SFF desktops (dc5700 ? with XP downgrade ) a
    > few weeks ago and asked me to hook them up. For the receptionist PC ,
    > it's only used to connect to their server and wanted me to lock down the
    > CD,usb ports ( so that PC could not write info to media and user could
    > leave with it). I hadn't used HP business models before and saw in the
    > HP security tools that they have a menu where you can choose to
    > check/uncheck items to lock down - so while logged in as ADMIN, I
    > checked cd,usb,1394 etc. Logged out of admin and logged on as user -
    > seemed to do the job fine - user couldn't use them.
    >
    > It's been a few weeks and I stopped in for other reasons and noticed two
    > things on that PC :
    >
    > 1. In event log I see:
    > FLCDLOCK events every 10 minutes - all day everyday. I found nothing
    > online but then I guessed that it stands for FLOPPY , CD LOCKED ???
    > ( there is no floppy on the pc but app probably been used for a while at
    > HP ) Any guesses ?
    >
    > 2. I logged off that PC as admin and logged on (to the server) as that
    > user ( user account only on server - no local account for her). While
    > logged in as user, I went into Control panel and could change those
    > items. What good is THAT ?!! ( I know - I should have checked that
    > originally but I THOUGHT I read via that PC's HELP (while setting up)
    > that user needs privs on local PC to use that security menu). The reason
    > for locking down was to NOT allow user to use the devices. If the user
    > can change them - why bother ? User has no rights/account on local PC -
    > only account is on server.
    >
    > Thanks for any feedback.

  3. Security - FLCDLOCK

    Hmmm... no one's heard of it ?

    > "- Bobb -" wrote in message
    > news:3JednUUXp_7lNzfVnZ2dnUVZ_gGdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> Family biz bought a few HP SFF desktops (dc5700 ? with XP downgrade ) a
    >> few weeks ago and asked me to hook them up. For the receptionist PC ,
    >> it's only used to connect to their server and wanted me to lock down
    >> the CD,usb ports ( so that PC could not write info to media and user
    >> could leave with it). I hadn't used HP business models before and saw
    >> in the HP security tools that they have a menu where you can choose to
    >> check/uncheck items to lock down - so while logged in as ADMIN, I
    >> checked cd,usb,1394 etc. Logged out of admin and logged on as user -
    >> seemed to do the job fine - user couldn't use them.
    >>
    >> It's been a few weeks and I stopped in for other reasons and noticed
    >> two things on that PC :
    >>
    >> 1. In event log I see:
    >> FLCDLOCK events every 10 minutes - all day everyday. I found nothing
    >> online but then I guessed that it stands for FLOPPY , CD LOCKED ???
    >> ( there is no floppy on the pc but app probably been used for a while
    >> at HP ) Any guesses ?
    >>
    >> 2. I logged off that PC as admin and logged on (to the server) as that
    >> user ( user account only on server - no local account for her). While
    >> logged in as user, I went into Control panel and could change those
    >> items. What good is THAT ?!! ( I know - I should have checked that
    >> originally but I THOUGHT I read via that PC's HELP (while setting up)
    >> that user needs privs on local PC to use that security menu). The
    >> reason for locking down was to NOT allow user to use the devices. If
    >> the user can change them - why bother ? User has no rights/account on
    >> local PC - only account is on server.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any feedback.

+ Reply to Thread