Re: The POSiX Animal On An MPE Box - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: The POSiX Animal On An MPE Box - Hewlett Packard ; The POSiX saga continues. In my program I am purging a file in the temp domain and then building it again in the temp domain (possibly has different parms on the build statement, that is why I am purging the ...

  1. Re: The POSiX Animal On An MPE Box

    The POSiX saga continues.

    In my program I am purging a file in the temp domain and then building it
    again in the temp domain (possibly has different parms on the build
    statement, that is why I am purging the old one first)

    >-0383>-0007>PURGE

    /DEV/PUB/mama/papa/baby/bear/porridge/.sh_history,TEMP;NOCONFIRM

    The -383 is telling me the purge failed because the file does not exist in
    the temp domain, which is just fine.

    So further down in the logic I am building the file in the temp domain.
    The build command fails.

    Works just fine on files in the MPE file space but obviously isn't working
    in the HFS POSiX space:

    <
    >+0279>+0106>BUILD

    /DEV/PUB/mama/papa/baby/bear/porridge/.sh_history;TEMP;CODE=2700;REC=-8192,0001,V,ASCII
    ;DISC=1474
    83647;ULABEL=027

    <
    >>Build of file "!" failed. (CIERR 279)

    <<

    The +279 is the code returned when the file already exists in the temp domain.

    Can anyone tell me why this isn't working in the POSiX area but works fine
    in the MPE area?

    Something I am doing wrong, I know but I am clueless as to what my error
    is........

    TIA,
    Brian.

  2. Re: The POSiX Animal On An MPE Box

    I always believed you cannot have TEMP files in the POSIX space, they
    only exist in MPE space.

    Tracy Johnson
    Measurement Specialties Inc.
    BT

    NNNN

  3. Re: The POSiX Animal On An MPE Box

    temporary posix files are quite possible:

    : build ./foo;temp
    : listfile ./@,2;temp

    TEMPORARY FILES FOR MGR.DONNA

    PATH= /DONNA/PUB/

    CODE ------------LOGICAL RECORD----------- ----SPACE---- FILENAME
    SIZE TYP EOF LIMIT R/B SECTORS #X MX

    128W FB 0 1023 1 0 0 * foo

    (I do believe, I do believe)

    - donna

    ---
    Donna Hofmeister
    Allegro Consultants, Inc.
    408-252-2330

  4. Re: The POSiX Animal On An MPE Box

    Yes but can you make that temporary file in something deeper than
    /ACCOUNT/GROUP/ namespace?

    I'm thinking because it is in a traditional MPE group (exactly two
    levels below root), it may work in this case.

    Of course I could just be nuts.

    Tracy Johnson
    Measurement Specialties Inc.
    BT

    NNNN

  5. Re: The POSiX Animal On An MPE Box

    hopefully this will prove enlightening...

    first, look at the structure of my account...

    : showvol.cmd donna
    (PHC) Account/Volume Set mapping V98.12.28 FRI, AUG 15, 2008, 1:09 PM

    Sectors Account/Group | Directory Volume Set
    ------- ------------------------- ----------
    80 /DONNA/CLUE/ MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
    12000 /DONNA/CMD/ MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
    80 /DONNA/JOBS/ MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
    4816 /DONNA/PATCH/ MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
    13792 /DONNA/PUB/cicat/ MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
    3248 /DONNA/PUB/election/ MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
    3312 /DONNA/PUB/perl/ MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
    48 /DONNA/PUB/public_html/ MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
    1561072 /DONNA/PUB/ MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
    160 /DONNA/SYSCMD/ldq/ MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
    112 /DONNA/SYSCMD/mbq/ MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
    4944 /DONNA/SYSCMD/ MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
    3696 /DONNA/UDC/ MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
    112 /DONNA/UPS/ MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
    1229952 /DONNA/dsgoutlook/Outlook/ MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
    1229984 /DONNA/dsgoutlook/ MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
    2816816 /DONNA/ (32 +) MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
    Number of groups in DONNA: 8
    Groups on MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET: 8

    second, can a temporary file be built under an existing posix directory (I'm
    gonna use /DONNA/PUB/perl)?

    : build ./perl/footemp;temp

    (ah! no error! so where is the file?)

    : listfile ./@,2;temp

    TEMPORARY FILES FOR MGR.DONNA

    PATH= /DONNA/PUB/

    CODE ------------LOGICAL RECORD----------- ----SPACE---- FILENAME
    SIZE TYP EOF LIMIT R/B SECTORS #X MX

    128W FB 0 1023 1 0 0 * perl/

    (hmmmm, interesting....)

    : listfile ./perl/,2;temp

    TEMPORARY FILES FOR MGR.DONNA

    PATH= /DONNA/PUB/perl/

    CODE ------------LOGICAL RECORD----------- ----SPACE---- FILENAME
    SIZE TYP EOF LIMIT R/B SECTORS #X MX

    128W FB 0 1023 1 0 0 * footemp

    (and there it is! so, yes -- you can have a temporary file under an
    existing posix directory)

    third, can a temporary file be built under a non-existant directory? (gosh,
    I think we know that answer!)

    Mombi: build ./tempdir/footemp;temp
    COMPONENT OF PATH DOES NOT EXIST (FSERR 457)
    Build of file "./tempdir/footemp" failed. (CIERR 279)

    ok? - d

    ---
    Donna Hofmeister
    Allegro Consultants, Inc.